Handing Royal Marines over to the Army

#3
If we give the Royal Marines to the Army we will have lost one of our best assets. I'm sure the Royal Marines will not want to go across to the dark side and will try their damdest to stay with us.

The SDR will be annouced soon and at least then we should have a clearer picture of the way ahead for the UK's Armed Forces

SM

:( :violent1: :pottytrain5:
 
A

angrydoc

Guest
#4
There were always going to be lots of rumours in the months leading up to the SDSR, and this chestnut has come up before. I'm sure the idea of losing the RAF will soon be re-mooted too.
 

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Moderator
#5
Whilst appreciating everything is under scrutiny & anything's possible, every time there's a review this particular topic rears it's head together with the need for a Nuclear deterrent, the need for the RAF or Aircraft Carriers, & the reason behind the British Army in the Rhine.
 
#6
angrydoc said:
I'm sure the idea of losing the RAF will soon be re-mooted too.
We're all keeping our fingers crossed for that one. I can't fcuking wait to see the look on my smug bastard trainee fighter pilot's mum next door neighbour, when she finds out her little boy is going to have to choose between joining a proper military organisation or flying pissed up stag parties to Lithuania in a big orange Airbus, for the rest of his career.
 

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
#7
Royal does all sorts of things that ordinary Pongoes have absolutely no clue about. I hope the politicians and CS who decide these things have enough nous to take that on board.
 

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Moderator
Book Reviewer
#17
Fink: I have worked with RMs in the past (and am currently serving in a Commando unit) and the general consensus at grass roots level is one of indifference - of course they are extremely proud of their heritage, but most RMs I know don't really care who they work for; they have more in common with Army units than Naval ones, to be honest... :oops:
 
I

In_my_day

Guest
#18
sgtpepperband said:
Fink: I have worked with RMs in the past (and am currently serving in a Commando unit) and the general consensus at grass roots level is one of indifference - of course they are extremely proud of their heritage, but most RMs I know don't really care who they work for; they have more in common with Army units than Naval ones, to be honest... :oops:
If that is the case then in the 3 years I've been out the opinion has done a complete 180!! I'd suggest that in any serious discussion were guys are made aware of the differences (and anyone that thinks otherwise is deluding themselves) they would most definitely not be indifferent, particularly any of the 00s of guys that have been through DST, SEME, etc :roll: As to more in common with the inf, that may well be the case but that doesn't mean that they want to become them. Quite simply the Corps as we know it would cease to exist under Army Opcom. As to the Navy fighting for us, as long as they have the bodies to put on the amphib fleet (thereby keeping X nos of Capt, Commodore and Rear Admiral's slots) would they really care who owns said bodies?

IMD
 
#19
No mention of the RAF Regt being absorbed by the Army - that would make a lot of sense and be less politically sensitive (I would suggest) than the RM cross-decking
 

Blackrat

War Hero
Moderator
Book Reviewer
#20
broadside said:
No mention of the RAF Regt being absorbed by the Army - that would make a lot of sense and be less politically sensitive (I would suggest) than the RM cross-decking
Right. That's enough young fella me lad. Go to your room.

I doubt very much that the booties will become part of the Army. I just can't see it happening if i'm honest.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

New Posts

Top