Handbook of Knots & Splices

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Stefan_grainger, Oct 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. An incredible amount of extremely useful information on the subject of knots, hitches, splices, fancy work, block and tackle, and wire rope.

Starting out with a description of the construction and care of rope... there are tables of the breaking strenghs and weights of various ropes, definitions of the names applied by sailors to different types of lines and advice on care and handling.

I have uploaded this book written by Charles E. Gibson HERE (clicky)

Filesize: 1.22 MB

2. I Have more literature of this sort if anybody is interested. PM for details
  3. I have loads of referance books on the subject more than you can shake a stick at all in the loft .My days of knots and splices is way way behind me
  4. Do they not issue B.R.67(1) on joining ?.Every thing in this book.
  5. No idea what they issue but no harm in taking a bit of incentive and learning what you can, I have been waiting for months now and have another 5 or so to go so i'm using my time to research and get a heads up on as much as i can.
  6. I think thats a good idea .In anything that you do.I jioned as a seaman .I got a hell of a lot of my knowledge fron been in the sea cadets from being 12
  7. I can just see all the newbies now sat at home "Mum, can i have a ball of string for Christmas? I've got to practice my sheepshank."

They'll be posting on here next asking what sort of twine/string/rope is the best and how much do they need to take to Raleigh....

*drums fingers on desk awaiting fallout* :bball: