Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Halal Meat

Am i right to object to halal meat in school meals?

• Yes

Votes: 39 78.0%
  • No

Votes: 11 22.0%

• Total voters

trehorn

War Hero
Ok then guys, a bit of an update for you.
After a bit of deliberation we decided to give our kids packed lunches as opposed to school meals.

When I dropped the kids off at school yesterday one of the other parents made me aware of a meeting that evening regarding the halal meat issue. Only parents who had aired concerns were notified of the meeting. I spoke to the head mistress who told me that I was welcome to attend.

One couple had looked into the new providers of the school meals and discovered that the slaughter house which provided the meat did not stun the animals prior to cutting their throat. I believe that it is HMC registered as opposed to HFA??? The school had not looked into the method of slaughtering used by the meat provider or if they had then they had not thought to mention it to the parents.

The main issues the parents had were how the decision had been made to change suppliers and that since the school thought it worth (briefly) mentioning that the new provider used halal meat then it should have been mentioned before the decision was made, therefore giving parents an opportunity to ask questions and voice any concerns.

Anyhow, the long and short of it is that the school are to prepare a letter which will explain in more detail why they changed suppliers, how the meat is slaughtered and prepared, highlight any alternatives and any associated cost increases and ask all of the parents at school what their preference is.

I'm sure that some of the parents may not have even noticed the point about halal meat within the news letter as it was skirted across very briefly, others may not be fully aware of exactly what halal meat is and the process of slaughtering the animals. Some may assume that since the vast majority of halal meat is stunned before slaughter that this was the case with the meat being provided to the school and likewise I'm sure that some most probably won't care either way.

Either way it looks like parents are now going to be provided with the full details so at least they will be able to make an informed decision.

seafarer1939

War Hero
Had this conversation in the local a few days ago most wanted the choice of having halal or not but most agreed they did not want it and so do I.
One chap piped up and said he was looking for a Halal girlfriend!we all looked at each other in stunned silence and that ended the discussion as we still don't know what he meant, I'm not sure he did.

paybobsquarepants

Lantern Swinger
I wonder how many objects are due to the preception of animal cruelty and how many are due to the prayer/blessing over the meat?

Jewish tradition requires the same slaugther methods - dont eat blood - would we have parents up in arms if children were given kosher meats? Or, indeed would any school/ education authority dare to buy from a Jewish source?

pbs

seafarer1939

War Hero
I may of mentioned it before[Penile Dementia} we used to kill 4 swine a month on our farm with a bolt thru the forehead,they dropped like a stone and it was painless unless the slaughterer hit his finger[They used a hammer early doors then later a fired bolt]
I watched and couldn't wait because I got the bladders for footballs but now I remember the fear in the eyes of the Pigs just before the bolt went in and more importantly the fear and howling of the pigs in a nearby enclosure waiting for the gun,they knew and now it seems cruel and I believe you now can't keep them near to the slaughter pen.
Not enough to turn me veggie though,I eat meat every day and pork is great,spare ribs,chops,5 spice pork,bacon etc and not as cruel as lamb or veal[which I don't eat]
Man will always eat animals and other men in parts of Newcastle!

flymo

War Hero
Ok then guys, a bit of an update for you.
After a bit of deliberation we decided to give our kids packed lunches as opposed to school meals.

When I dropped the kids off at school yesterday one of the other parents made me aware of a meeting that evening regarding the halal meat issue. Only parents who had aired concerns were notified of the meeting. I spoke to the head mistress who told me that I was welcome to attend.

One couple had looked into the new providers of the school meals and discovered that the slaughter house which provided the meat did not stun the animals prior to cutting their throat. I believe that it is HMC registered as opposed to HFA??? The school had not looked into the method of slaughtering used by the meat provider or if they had then they had not thought to mention it to the parents.

The main issues the parents had were how the decision had been made to change suppliers and that since the school thought it worth (briefly) mentioning that the new provider used halal meat then it should have been mentioned before the decision was made, therefore giving parents an opportunity to ask questions and voice any concerns.

Anyhow, the long and short of it is that the school are to prepare a letter which will explain in more detail why they changed suppliers, how the meat is slaughtered and prepared, highlight any alternatives and any associated cost increases and ask all of the parents at school what their preference is.

I'm sure that some of the parents may not have even noticed the point about halal meat within the news letter as it was skirted across very briefly, others may not be fully aware of exactly what halal meat is and the process of slaughtering the animals. Some may assume that since the vast majority of halal meat is stunned before slaughter that this was the case with the meat being provided to the school and likewise I'm sure that some most probably won't care either way.

Either way it looks like parents are now going to be provided with the full details so at least they will be able to make an informed decision.

Makes you wonder if they chose this other supplier to save money. All this extra admin now thrown on top may well negate any financial benefits.

tees_gal

Midshipman
I wonder how many objects are due to the preception of animal cruelty and how many are due to the prayer/blessing over the meat?

Jewish tradition requires the same slaugther methods - dont eat blood - would we have parents up in arms if children were given kosher meats? Or, indeed would any school/ education authority dare to buy from a Jewish source?

pbs

Mate, in order for meat to be Kosher it also needs to be prepped in a kitchen that has seperate cutlery, dishwashers/sinks etc for meat and dairy products. Furthermore, the kids would have to have meat and parve meals, or dairy and parve, thus probably deviating from what theyre used to at hme if theyre christian kids. What Im getting at is that its not just the meat, the muslims have it easy in that respect!!

Guzzler

War Hero

I think that you'll find that most objections are from people who don't like darkies (though no doubt their best friend is 'one').

jaybee48

Lantern Swinger
All this is really a load of old bollox; whether it's Halal, Kosher or whatever other religious variant of killing animals for human consumption, the meat still has to be cooked before it goes on the table, so it doesn't make the slightest difference how the beast meets its end.
If you're looking specifically at the issue of 'humane' methods of killing, which I believe this thread is really about, then you should obviously make it as swift and painless as possible - to do otherwise is a travesty of what we like to call 'humanity'.
That is, after all, what is supposed to be the fundamental difference between mankind and the animal kingdom, surely?
JB.

Latest Threads