Haircuts, Facial Hair and the RN Officer Selection Process

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by 11ricochet, Oct 4, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Process

Thanks for your advice.
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  2. I will say it should not be a problem. Sounds to me like you may have a kind of halapitia so there will not be too many questions. I know a number of people, some very good friends who are still serving and have this problem. Not trying to put you down at all but they developed this problem as a severe receding hairline and now quite happily have no hair to get on with it.
    If anyone has a problem with your folicaly challenged status, it will be yourself! Yes you will get ribbed when you join, but give it back in what ever way you can (this is my response to the head shaving but definitely lose the goatiee). Good luck
  3. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Goatee is a no no, and be prepared to adopt the call sign 'Cue ball' for the rest of your career.........
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

For sift advice, the threads scattered about remain pertinent. Be prepared to answer questions such as recognising pictures of ships, submarines, aircraft and their respective weapons and sensors. A large part of it is about you & you've already spent years revising that bit.

As with any job interview, a suit, shirt, tie & shoes (not trainers) are recommended if you wish to impress. There's no need to go too far, with a spinning illuminated white-ensign bow tie playing a digitised version of 'Hearts of Oak', however. In retrospect that maybe where I went wrong.

Baldness is not an issue, if it was, the Senior Rates messes afloat would be devoid of personnel (Besides the mandatory Weapons Engineers fiddling with the bloody telly again, even though it wasn't broken). For those that may foolishly think you need enough hair on your bonce to be pulled out of the water, an affixed handle is presumably the answer to male baldness.

Goatees - not a problem before you join as what little hair you have is yours as a civilian. After joining it must connect with the lamb-chop sideburns or not exist.

Good luck.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. You can't lose the beard, because you could be rejected. If you got rejected, you'd have to grow it all back.
    I'm not ditching the sideburns to make a better impression
  6. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

"Goatee is ok for the interview. (or should I get rid of it? I'll most likely feel more self conscious without it; how important is it that our first formal impressions match current practices in your opinions?)"

No offence, but you are seeking to be a leader of men where as a warfare officer, you will ultimately be required to make extremely difficult life or death decisions, often in seconds. Stop being a sheep, take a decision and stick with it, and don't spend days waffling on the internet about whether you should or shouldnt do something. If you want to be a leader, start making decisions and make your own mind up about your beard and not seek the advice some random strangers on the internet (particularly from some who may well be resident in a loony bin or OAP home...).
    • Like Like x 1
  7. I ll have you know I resemble that remark.
  8. COTW senses tingling with this one, no doubt he too will be an admirer of AIB soup.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

For those who can afford one, Hell yes.

In fact, a brief perusal of our illustrious historic Naval icons will reveal the more famous amongst them had full sets, such as Admiral Lord Nelson Mandela and his mistress Josephine, Blackbeard, Boy George VC, Monty Python of El Alamein and not forgetting Action Man (with the eagle eyes).

Horizontal stripes tend to be more traditional..
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Ninja you are on a roll this week! Wasted at the AFCO ( or perhaps thats the problem!)
  11. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Is it presumptuous to assume that the OP is a male..? :shock:
  12. Full sets are the only facial hair allowed in the RN but some females seem to manage to get around these rules.
  13. sgtpepperband

WRNS grow moustaches - to hide the stretcharks, presumably...
  14. An oppo of mine got his horoscope read by the Fleet joss at Sultan for picking a Wren up for not shaving, evidently she didn't see the funny side and complained.
  15. sgtpepperband

Yeah, I've been picked up by the fuzz before as well... :twisted:
  16. SOUP! WHERE? I love soup