Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. so, all navy ladies have got to have their hair in a bun. and that is helped by having a hairnet and copious amounts of hairpins but;
    how do you stop your hair wisping out at the sides? and how do you get your bun into the normal bun shape as my attempts always seem to look more like mushrooms :s

2. oh ffs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

no no no not again!!!!!!!!!!

STUPID ? ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![​IMG]

3. sorry i did search for a hair topic but there wasnt an obvious one so...

o well an admin can always delete this topic :D

4. Ok if this is genuine-

if you are having probs with a bun do a french plait and then wrap into a bun,

or spray sh1tloads of hairspray on hair prior to putting in a bun,

or just do what i did- cut into bob- but MUST be off collar!

5. thanks :D

i think il go down the "cut it off" route :)

6. It is easier- especially onboard- saves you time in the mornings or prior to going on watch-- and its a helluva lot easier during NBCDexs' etc!!

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Must admit I've not seen the question regarding haircuts for our female readers but doubtless it's in this section somewhere.

A couple of pointers, as frequently females are the biggest "offenders" in pushing the boundaries.

Hair colour must be one colour & natural. (ie not red, blonde-highlights, blue/black, Neon hues, streaks etc.,) Sounds obvious but often flaunted.

Long hair must be worn 'up' off the collar. Ponytails are not permitted during the working day (safety) however those working on aircraft can wear ponytails (safety, so as clips cannot fall into the machinery). Hairclips must be black or brown, not coloured. Scrunchies, if permitted, should be Navy Blue or Black.

Doubtless there will be wails of protest (usually by blokes) proclaiming that the girlies where they work don't abide by these rules - all I can say is it's up to the supervisors present.

8. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

They should all be shaven...mmmmmm

9. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Is there an echo in here... in here?! Anyway Article 0223 of BR81 (RN & RM Uniform Regulations) states that hair for...

10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

You took your time SgtPB!

Thanks for that article from Uniform Regs, most helpful.

Any truth in the rumour that "Queen's Regulations for the Royal Navy" (QRRN) is going to be reprinted as the "Queen's Rough Guide for the Mob" so that none of us feel oppressed?

11. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

N_S: What do you mean "took my time"?! Posted in the same day... :lol:

Erm, if only QRRNs were republished at "The Rough Guide..." - would be easier to fit in my cupboard; the most awkwardly sized book in the RN!

8O :?

12. I think I might have to get mine cut off, I have hair similar to that of Shakira- long and totally crazy. Boooo, I like my hair.

13. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

It would help to judge if pics were posted clearly showing length of hair, front and rear views

14. hmm i like my hair long but tis very very thick [but straight] so looks pretty silly in a bun - i think i could get it layered so its long enough to go up properly, short enough so the buns quite small but still looks good in civvies =D

another slightly random query - i've got henna dyed hair - just a shade or two more auburn than my natural hair colour so when roots come it will look damned silly =D shall i dye it back normal before i join up or just when the roots start to show?

15. janner

[​IMG]

I'm thinking of a pony tail (thats me on the right of the group of three) will it help, I've also though of adding a touch of colour, all suggestions gratefully received :thumright:

16. janner

Bugger

17. oh for christs sake- ur joining an armed force- no one gives a toss what u look like! apart from the young lads you join with - the oldr ones---- no.
    sorry this is not a rant- yeah ok it is- but you are not going in for uk model 07, nor to be front page of navy news- its an armed force - yes it is to be in a bun or off the collar- but who cares?

I shaved my head- did a demi moore- did i care no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    since leaving yes have grown hair, nails etc- but whilst in i didnt really care - ask lister - he didnt recognise me as a civvy!

18. If you don't fancy it all off then neatly trimmed with no stragglers is perfectly reasonable :)

19. whoa girl! chill! Im 17: i.e. still vain! i'l get over it! I mean look at the navy uniforms! although i do quite like the long long black skirt.... =P

"Chill Winston"

20. long long black skirt are from a wren officer/sr mess undress you will not wear that
    you will be issued a white shirt and woolen black trousers with black shoes