Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

H4H wristband banned

NotmeChief

Banned
A fifteen year old Devon student has said she's appalled at a decision by her school to ban her from wearing a charity wristband. Sarah-Jane Chalk from Exmouth claims she was told her Help for Heroes bracelet was a health and safety risk. The school says it breaks strict uniform policy.

http://www.itv.com/westcountry-west/

slim

War Hero
This is being blown out of all proportions, it is not a Help for Heroes band that is not allowed to be worn but ALL bands. It's a school rule that is being enforced.
The good thing is that H4H has just gained sh1tloads of free publicity :p

Joe_Crow

War Hero
I sincerely hope that as they have quoted H&S as being the driver for this decision that staff as well as pupils are subject to the same stringent rules, and are not allowed to wear similar (though probably pinko-lefty leaning) articles.

It's not worth getting excited over. Schools have rules, some are good some are bad. As long as they stick to them and apply the rules fairly then it's a level playing field so to speak.

I'd expect they support the poppy appeal etc but dont want the kids wearing wrist bands, I wont be manning a paddle on the outrage canoe over this one.

labrum

War Hero
Likie WB says schools have rules just like other organisations. Don't like the rule find another school...

Passed-over_Loggie said:
Yes; move along, there's nothing to see here.

Bugger! I've now got this mental image of that scene from Naked Gun.

What, that druggy woman, a horse, pig, chicken, pig and a dog. Or am I thinking of a different movie? :p

wurz

Lantern Swinger
The thing that annoys me about this is the use of H&S to implement a uniform rule. Does the school ban the wearing of watches, bracelets and rings on all pupils and staff too?

I'm guessing not, therefore it isn't a h&s issue as a metal bracelet on a watch will do much more damage if caught that a rubber band which will deform and break. There's a place for H&S and using it as an excuse for other made up rules isn't one of them.

TaylorMono

Badgeman
I'm with Wurz on this one. Its far too easy to cite 'Health and Safety' as a catch-all excuse to ban anything the school/company/organisation doesn't particularly like.

I suspect the real reason is to prevent the pupils presenting a scruffy image by wearing several garish rubber bands on the wrist and up the arm; which I don't believe is a bad reason for a ban. The only thing I disagree with is the use of 'Health and Safety' as a scapegoat.

JonnoJonno

Banned
The only down side is we won't get to see the phone footage of a kid getting dragged in to a band saw by their wrist.

Couldn't care less if it's banned or not. Rules is rules.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Joint_Force_Harrier Royal Navy and Royal Marines Charity seen off by H4H!!! Charity 9
2_deck_dash Genuine SAS/SBS/STC sunglasses - H4H auction - not to be missed. Charity 18
S H4H tip if you can Current Affairs 2
2_deck_dash Cruel Sea model ship up for auction H4H. Charity 11
S Pub comp for H4H again Charity 11
S H4H can I make this work? Charity 2
S H4H competition help needed Diamond Lil's 13
soleil Guardian H4H A Worthy Cause But Spare Us The Moral Blackmail Current Affairs 3
NotmeChief Jimi Heselden H4H Stalwart killed Nearest & Dearest 0
S Status Quo Aid H4H Charity 5
stokers64 raising money for H4H Charity 0
S world cup raffle for H4H? Current Affairs 0
NotmeChief An advert but definately not spam - H4H Charity 0
C 2 Skins in a boat - Ardglass to Blackpool Row for H4H Charity 0
soleil Mail: "Service WAGS' Calendar Raises £26,000 for H4H" Charity 25
2_deck_dash H4H Auction. Time Machine! Can also be used to remove hair. Charity 32
soleil Chip in to H4H at RN Chef's Fish & Chip shop near HMS Sultan Bases / Shore Est 0
soleil Sun: Blade Runner Lydia runs for H4H with Mne Ben McBean The Corps 5
2_deck_dash H4H Auction. A pair of Purdey's. Ends midday 12/3/10. Charity 25
F The Drambuie Pursuit - H4H Need Your Votes! Sports and Adventure Training 0
M H4H Comedy Night - Battersea 4th March - CANCELLED Charity 2
soleil Mail on Sunday donates 5p from sale of each copy to H4H Charity 0
soleil H4H Auction Lunch with Minty and Cast Signed Albert Sq sign Charity 0
B 24 hour indoor rowing world record attempt for H4H 23 Oct Charity 0
Scouse_Scribes SCC Team to walk Hadrians Wall in aid of H4H SCC and URNU 0
Colander H4H - Running with a rotor blade... The Corps 0
soleil Red Arrows - H4H Bike Ride w/Ross Kemp - May 24th - Pompey Charity 6
G h4h parachute jump Charity 0
rockape34 Tom Newton-Dunn Abseil for H4H Charity 0
DozyBint H4H - £5 to win a Lotus or a Mazda Charity 1
F forcespenpals.co.uk 5th Anniversary H4H Charity Party Charity 0
BusterQuin H4H Rugby Match at Twickers 20/09/08 Social & Reunions 2
DozyBint H4H: Capt Pete Norton GC's Freefall Para Jump Charity 1
A Mrs Clarkson and H4H Current Affairs 15
MoD_RSS Travel from South American destinations, Portugal, Panama and Cape Verde banned to prevent spread of new variant MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Window cleaning boss banned after failing to account for £1.7m MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Brothers banned for failing to pay £173,000 in taxes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Clothing manufacturer banned for unpaid tax bill MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Restaurateur banned for tax avoidance MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Nightclub owners banned for failing to submit accounts and pay tax MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Marketing boss banned after thousands of nuisance calls MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Charity shop re-seller banned for under-declaring taxes due MoD News 0
MoD_RSS North-East restaurateur banned for tax abuse MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Recruiters banned after exploiting agricultural workers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Payroll director banned for £2.7m of contentious payments MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Chigwell car dealer banned after breaching finance agreements MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Forex agents banned after misappropriating £9 million MoD News 2
MoD_RSS Company directors banned for tax offences MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Motorhomes boss banned after creditors claim £660k in liquidation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Outdoor use of metaldehyde to be banned to protect wildlife MoD News 0