H.M.S. Sutherland Deployment 2018

Knotty

Lantern Swinger
Could someone (probably Ninja Stoker who was in at the same time as me but is also still doing time), please explain to me why ships husbandry no longer takes place on board our Pussers war canoes?

For hundreds and hundreds of years it has been widely believed to be good practise to maintain your kit which surely includes the ship that you roam the world in!

My main point is that the Sutherland is in Australia to take part in joint exercises but mainly to promote Britain in the hope that we can get some orders from Oz for the type 26s, 31s or perhaps even both. See following URL: https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-a...0309-hms-sutherland-sails-into-sydney-harbour

Surely it would seem wise to at least get rid of the obvious rust and make the ship look somewhat presentable?

Crickey, when H.M.S. Plymouth sailed back into Rosyth on return from the South Atlantic and following significant bomb damage sustained during the 82 conflict she looked smarter than the Sutherland does now and I believe she has just returned to the surface fleet from an extensive upgrade and work up!!

Is this how we like to present our wares these days? If I was Cdr Canale I'd be highly embarrassed!

There's all sorts of ship's husbandry, its not just painting. Vent party for example.
We haven't done a great deal of chipping and painting for some considerable time. Cosmetic painting is a no no, on T23s anyway. Most painting is done by the dockyard during SMP/AMP/refit.

Knotty

Lantern Swinger
There's all sorts of ship's husbandry, its not just painting. Vent party for example.
We haven't done a great deal of chipping and painting for some considerable time. Cosmetic painting is a no no, on T23s anyway. Most painting is done by the dockyard during SMP/AMP/refit.
I get that thanks dapperdunn but do you know why?

I get that thanks dapperdunn but do you know why?
Because matelots don't do it properly.

They prefer to slosh some acid on, paint it cosmetically and repeat.

Proper ship's husbandry is incredibly hard at sea, and requires time. I'd rather SUTH was practicing for warfighting in the South China Sea rather than pleasing old folk and their memories of a fleet that never existed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Knotty

Lantern Swinger

Proper ship's husbandry is incredibly hard at sea, and requires time. I'd rather SUTH was practicing for warfighting in the South China Sea rather than pleasing old folk and their memories of a fleet that never existed.

Thanks for your explanation ATG although I don't ever remember using acid myself, nor do I ever recall you being present to examin the quality of my or any of my 'aged oppos' work but hey - I bit!

I also asked a serious question, at no time did I rant on about a fleet that never existed so can I ask why you brought that topic up?

I do agree with you concerning the practising of warfighting in the South China Sea but are you seriously telling me that that's a 24/7 evolution? If you read the article the visit is focusing on flying the flag in order to sell British manufacturing & I'm just stating that the presentation of the ship does not reflect well upon her or her ships company but perhaps you believe that rusty red is a more up to date colour than battleship grey!

ATB

Knotty

Lantern Swinger
Wrecker & dapperdunn, suggest you visit specsavers!! The hull looks a complete mess and in particular just below the pennant numbers. Then look at the picture of the bridge wing and just above the bridge the speaker is plastered in rust.

Wrecker & dapperdunn, suggest you visit specsavers!! The hull looks a complete mess and in particular just below the pennant numbers. Then look at the picture of the bridge wing and just above the bridge the speaker is plastered in rust.
Jeeeez, you complain about the state of a hull which has travelled through sea water to the other side of the world, and a bit of rust on a speaker mount!! You need to get a grip, especially if you think the Plymouth was "smarter" when she came back from the Falklands, the phot is her entering Gib on the way back, I'll book your specsavers appointment for you if you wish.

607949-hms-plymouth-in-gibraltar-f126.jpeg

Knotty

Lantern Swinger
Jeeeez, you complain about the state of a hull which has travelled through sea water to the other side of the world, and a bit of rust on a speaker mount!! You need to get a grip, especially if you think the Plymouth was "smarter" when she came back from the Falklands, the phot is her entering Gib on the way back, I'll book your specsavers appointment for you if you wish.

View attachment 30465
Thanks Wrecker and I'll admit that it's not the best angle in the phot, however the signal deck is spotless!

And I have one

Grip.png

I believe that modern "war canoes" do not carry anywhere near the number of crew that @Knotty may remember from his time so wholesale painting of the ship's side and such like however desirable has to be left for maintenance periods. I would rather the crew concentrated on keeping the accommodation spaces and operational centres presentable as that is where any potential buyers/visitors are likely to be looking.

Knotty

Lantern Swinger
I believe that modern "war canoes" do not carry anywhere near the number of crew that @Knotty may remember from his time so wholesale painting of the ship's side and such like however desirable has to be left for maintenance periods. I would rather the crew concentrated on keeping the accommodation spaces and operational centres presentable as that is where any potential buyers/visitors are likely to be looking.
Ah, I see, so the visitors are blind folded until they reach the accommodation and operational centres or perhaps since we are now in modern times they are just warp factored into those areas 'beam me up scottie'.

Numbers of crew does make a lot of sense though fishhead - many thanks

blasp.jpg :eek::):):)