Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Gym Stuff

dean5778

Midshipman
Hello, this is pretty much aimed at anyone who’s knowledgeable about supplements you can take when you are exercising in the gym. But anyone can comment if they know the answer.

Basically I’ve been working out in the gym now since February this year. I mainly work on my upper body strength. But it’s only in the past 2 months I’ve really kicked it up a notch, and been doing intense workouts. I have just gone online to buy my usual protein shakes (Maximuscle Cyclone), and came across these supplements also that you can take to give you that extra kick! They sound really good, and I have read all the literature that was on the page I bought it from.

They are called APPLIED NUTRICEUTICALS RPM (link: http://www.bodybuildingwarehouse.co.uk/applied-nutriceuticals-rpm---110-caps-479-p.asp )

My only concern is that I have my medical examination next month, and you have a urine sample test. I have gone over and over this link to see if it says anything about a substance that might be considered wrong or illegal. It doesn’t have anything, and even states that “All of this is accomplished using 100% safe herbal preparations in its ingredient profile.â€

That’s all fine and well, but I know how strict the Navy is when it comes to drugs in your system. It doesn’t have ephedrine or steroids in it. I have never taken anything like that and don’t intend on doing. I have contacted the website, but as it’s Christmas, I doubt I’ll get a reply soon.
I’ve probably already answered my own question here, but does this product you think go against the policies of the Royal Navy in regard to body enhancing supplements?

Any relevant help would be most appreciated.

I cant give you the answer but maybe its not worth risking it?

Or maybe try and find the navy's drug use policy? or what can and cannot be taken?

Depends on your goals, I wouldn't take extra supplements unless you want to really bulk up! Best thing to do is talk to the fitness instructors and perhaps look at more challenging techniques. E.g. Chin-ups with weight/more weight, press ups in less stable positions etc.

Supplements are certainly not considered necessary providing you eat healthily & under no circumstances use them as replacement meals.

Following complaints from the parents of new-joiners regarding the unnecessary potential expense of these products, they are most certainly not endorsed.

That said, providing you are not taking unprescribed anabolic steroids, (which are prohibited & can result in disciplinary action being taken if you are found in possession) it's up to you if you feel spending money on these products helps you.

Hey Ninka_stoker. Thanks for the reply. Taking suppliments isn't something I usually do. I drink protein shakes though, and I see results from them, I am happy to spend my cash on them. But thought I would try something different. They are not steroids, so that wont be an issue with me. I see lads down at my gym taking that stuff and seriously, the side effects outweigh any gain from a bigger body.

I'm waiting to hear back from the store I got them from for confirmation. All I was worried about is the urine test. Do you think if I was to try them, I should bring the bottle with me to my medical to just make sure?

Generally, unless you wish to join as an RM Commando & weigh under 60kg, there is nothing to be gained if you wish to bulk-up on muscle mass. You need to be able to run rather than lift heavy weights- the emphasis is CV fitness.

That said, as stated it's up to the individual with regard non-steroidal supplements. I've heard anecdotal tales of excessive protien in urine, but it's simply remedied if you need to take a second test in order to be passed fit.

As long as they are not steroid based you should be ok but to be honest i think its more the type of exercise you do. Something i have recently got into and have noticed quite quick results is a thing called Crossfit. have a look at the web site and see if there are any groups near you. www.crossfit.com

You will love it!!!!!

wow this looks good! I have just sent an email to one in my area. they are only a few miles away. Defo going to take this up before I leave for Raleigh.

Thanks mate!

seriosuly lads don't bother, you don't need to for basic, just make sure your at a good level of fitness.

I went in after playing pro rugby and didn't train anything like i used to, it's not geared towards being a beast who can lift the heaviest weights etc, the training is more endurance based, a lot of running, press ups sit ups, body weight circuits, i struggled from time to time because i used to do move ballistic training ie short sharp drills, raleigh is more endurance.

do the suppliments when you get to your phase 2 establishment.

Don't take supplements. They just want fit nippy guys who can do push ups, sit ups and run fast. You'll never get told to dead lift 120kg. It's all cardio work out's, with upper body strength thrown in. Think of a light weight boxer's physique.

I'm personally into my weights, but I stopped them 6 months leading up and I've just been concentrating on the basics. I intend on getting back into the gym when I pass my phase 1.

Latest Threads