Guzz Vs DSC

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by brazenhussy, Oct 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Come on then lads n lasses- we all know about the North / South divide- so lets here the reasons why Guzz is better than DSC- or vicky versa!!

2. I never really saw the attractions of Guzz. Fair enough it was a good run ashore if you could escape Unionstrasse, which if you're really honest with yourself, sucks big time. Even going weekend is a nightmare. You drive for what seems hours, only to find yourself at Bristol, with the delights of Birmingham Bottleneck to come.

DSC, now, also sucks, but at least you can get away from the place at weekends.

"Where are you from, love?"

"Smiff"

"What, Hammersmith?"

"Nah, Portsmiff"

3. If God were going to give the world an enema, he'd put it i Guzz...... :thumright: :lol:

4. I know I am only P100xxxx and a bit long in the tooth now, what on earth is DSC?

5. DSC = Dog Shit City = Portsmouth

(What's it like having a pub named after you, PF, or is it the other way around?)

6. I trust there is no sexual connotation in the other way round Streaky, you will have to ask a former owner as to which comes first, so to speak.

7. Guzz. Heres some reasons.
    1 A much smaller city, without the consequent crime/urban decay issues found in Pompey. The very worst areas of Swilly/Barne Barton would appear positively middle class if they where transported to Norfend or Rowner.
    2 The mockney spoken by most denizens of DSC is probably the ugliest regional accent spoken anywhere in the UK.
    3 I can leave livin room now, and within an 30 mins I'd be anywhere between the beaches of North Cornwall to the coastal paths of the South Hams. Drive for 30 mins out of Pompey and you are still stuck on the M275.

More reasons to follow.

8. Having been away from both areas for some time I went back to Guzz earlier this year, as I got around the Taunton area I started to feel as though I was coming home. When I went down to dog shit city last week I just felt depressed as I approached the city. I agree that unionstrasse itself is pretty shit but DSC is just no better. There are plenty of nice places out from the city centre.

9. I know it's no longer relevant but what about Chatham & Rosyth?

10. Give me Guzz anyday. The Janners knew they sounded like country folk (home from home for me) and were more than friendly. The Skates all thought they were psuedo cockerneys and soooooo street wise.

The Cockney accent (cor blimey luvva duck guv'nor, up the apples and chairs, winners and losers (troosers, hang on that's Glaswegian rhyming slang) I quite like BUT the Essex/Hertfordshire/Hampshire accent has to be the most annoying accent next to Scouse. Shiver me timbers it makes me want to shrug my skin orf donchknow!
    The janners don't pretend there's an R in Bath.......pass.....etc and while I'm on the subject.
    BBC speak..........News is now Nees. Music is now meesic......AND SHREWSBURY is pronounced SHREWSBURY not Shrosebury....just ask the people who live there. The football team are knicknamed the Shrews not the Shroes.
    But yeah, I prefer Guzz. Having said that though Dolphin was my first naval home so I've got a soft spot for Gosport!

11. During my time in the mob I spent it fairly equally between both ports so have no particular favourite at all, although I obviously now reside in the 'local' of Pompey, well Fareham anyway. ;-)

Must be honest and say that Guzz is a right twat of a place to commute to from anywhere in the country, even Dorset. Swillie/North Prospect is the west country version of Sommers Town.

Just to be picky Clanky...

1. Rowner is actually in Gosport. :)
    2. Agree totally, although the Janner accent also leaves a lot to be desired.
    3. Untrue. The M275 is only about a mile long and the rest of that particular road is actually the A3(M). ;-) I take it you never ventured over towards Winchester, Meon Stoke, Denmead and such places, which are all very beautiful areas and not chav city. Interesting to also note that Guzz is very high up the league table for chav types. ;-)

12. Both shite holes after all they are south of Watford Gap, Rosyth or Faslane have to be the most desired drafts as Dunfermline or Helensburgh are much more refined and cultured towns with the delights of Edinburgh or Glasgow a mere stones throw away.

13. Think you need to remove tongue from cheek very soon. :)

14. Got to say Guzz. One of the main reasons I joined the mob was to get out of Gosport. (Although my time at Dolphin on SM course was fantastic). People think of Guzz and they just think of Union street and Swilley. There's so much more to it than that.
    Since meeting my wife (a Plymouth native) I've had drafts to Faslane and 2 1/2 years on mechs course at Collingwood and I've never felt the urge to move away from Guzz. I can be on a sandy beach or in the middle of Dartmoor within 1/2 hour of leaving my house. Plus everything you need from a city within easy reach. Anything not in Plymouth can be found in Exeter (only 45 mins away).
    I won't be moving back to Pompey when I leave. (Although I'm still a Pompey football fan, and always will be.)

15. Looks like I'm one of the few who cannot stand Guzz! The centre of town is just feels soulless. Portsmouth isn't much better but I personally think Gunwharf is a nice place to spend a few hours, in fact I did have to, as I arrived for my AIB a bit too early! Maybe I'm one of the few who isn't filled with fear as they pass down the M275, I always like the sight of the Type 45 mock-up on Portsdown Hill....sad eh? But its better than the Devon Expressway to nowhere!

And the person who asked about Chatham, avoid it like the plague! Unless you enjoy chav sprogs spitting, fighting, stealing, and earrings that make the London Eye look small. The Historic Dockyard is not too bad a day out, but some areas must have not been touched since the day the Navy moved out. Worsened by the fact they could not decide whether or not to call it Chatham Historic Dockyard, or the questionable World Naval Base.

16. PO, as you mentioned the M275 I am always filled with delight when using it to go north as it means that the arsehole of the world is disappearing fast in the rear view mirror.

17. You must mean when you are driving South, everyone knows that the head of Britain is nearest the Equator!

Urgh, the North! Its like travelling to a less advanced time period when you go past the Watford Gap, I shiver every time I do! They don't speak proper English, it is the Queen's English, she says Ba[r]th, Gra[r]ss etc. and I think she knows how to speak her own language!

18. Another bonus when one is proceeding north on the M275 is that not only are you getting away from Portsmouth you are also putting some distance between yourself and the ‘Johnny Foreigner’ infested south.

19. Must be honest and say that Guzz is a right twat of a place to commute to from anywhere in the country, even Dorset. Swillie/North Prospect is the west country version of Sommers Town.

Just to be picky Clanky...

1. Rowner is actually in Gosport. :)
    2. Agree totally, although the Janner accent also leaves a lot to be desired.
    3. Untrue. The M275 is only about a mile long and the rest of that particular road is actually the A3(M). ;-) I take it you never ventured over towards Winchester, Meon Stoke, Denmead and such places, which are all very beautiful areas and not chav city. Interesting to also note that Guzz is very high up the league table for chav types. ;-)[/quote]

1 I tend to parcel up Gosport/Fareham with Pompey, as they are all generally considered to be Pompey drafts. If anything, I would say Gashport is actually worse than DSC.
    2 At least the janner accent is a genuine regional accent, not an attempt to sound like a streetwise cockernee wankah
    3 True, but the subject of the post is Guzz/DSC, not Guzz/Winchster etc. And whilst Guzz has its fair share of Chavs, most Pompey birds make the average swilly girl seem like Lady Victoria.

Anyway,a couple more reasons

4 House prices
    5 The Tricorn Centre

20. I have to say when doing my courses at Collingwood DSC was absolute CRUD compared to Guzz.

Before Topmast came out, i chose Guzz everytime to be based there. Nothing beats STRIP ALFA or the Barbican in the summer.

(and nothing also beats the Golden Dragon restuarant in the Barbican either, it is to die for the food there)

Only thing i hated about Guzz though was that it always seemed to rain from what memories i can gather on the place.