Guzz to close in 5 years???

pompeyexpat

War Hero
NotmeChief said:
Sorry pempeyexpat but Gordon Brown confirmed it by refusing to reply to a direct question on it in parliament.

Surely that's just the SOP whenever any politician is asked any question. They'd probably try and evade a question about their date of birth if they could, just in case they'd been misinformed by an advisor!

NotmeChief

Banned
pompeyexpat said:
NotmeChief said:
Sorry pempeyexpat but Gordon Brown confirmed it by refusing to reply to a direct question on it in parliament.

Surely that's just the SOP whenever any politician is asked any question. They'd probably try and evade a question about their date of birth if they could, just in case they'd been misinformed by an advisor!

Only if they have something to hide. If a thing is definate, they do reply. A refusal means a negative reply is all they have to give.

If Guzz wasn't closing he would have put banners up proclaiming that fact, look what a good bastard I am.

pompeyexpat

War Hero
BillyNoMates said:
*Jobs Boost* *Biggest Contract*
*Winning Streak* *Biggest Landmark*
*DML Shines* *Pioneering Work*
*Big New Deal* *Ahead of time*
*Another Cracking Year for the Group*

Blah Blah Blah

Stunning headlines in the days of DML were they not??

http://www.devonport.co.uk/news-linkmagazine.htm

I'm not sure if I'm missing the point here, it is after all Sunday afternoon and I'm stuck at work dying of boredom so I'm not at my best. All the above headlines come from an in-house publication. They're going to big themselves up aren't they? You wouldn't expect it to read "DML cut corners and do a s**t job again" would you? I wasn't trying to make any argument for why Devonport should stay open over another yard (my father-in-law works here, but he retires in a year or two anyway), mearly trying to show why, even if Devonport does close down, it won't be in 5 years.

BillyNoMates

War Hero
Just who are we supposed to believe then?
My moneys on HM Govt welding the gates shut, as for when, only time will tell.

Babcock nee DML nee Her Majesties Royal Dockyard Devonport.
Soon to be known as Chessingtons World of Old warships and submarines.
Admission £10 (Closed Bank Holidays & weekends) :crazy:

Bergen

ADC
FFS - Another misleading thread title. I was over the moon that Guzz, including Swilley, was closing but then realised that it was only the Dockyard...FFS :-

"Dockyard Matey's children, sittin' on the dockyard wall
Just like their fathers, doin' bugger all..

When they grow up they'll be dockyard mateys too
Just like their fathers with fcuk-all to do.... "

:thumright:

RM

BillyNoMates

War Hero
Bergen said:
FFS - Another misleading thread title. I was over the moon that Guzz, including Swilley, was closing but then realised that it was only the Dockyard...FFS :-

"Dockyard Matey's children, sittin' on the dockyard wall
Just like their fathers, doin' bugger all..

When they grow up they'll be dockyard mateys too
Just like their fathers with fcuk-all to do.... "

:thumright:

RM

North Prospect has had a bit of a makeover .........

http://gct13.com/e/20071204/north-prospect

McCloggie

Lantern Swinger
This present government has so much to answer for - althougth it has to be said that the rot probably started twenty odd years ago before they were elected.

If Guzz is to close (and it is a big IF) where do HM ships go? Where is the support base etc.?

If (and again it is a big IF) the Scottish Executive - please note that it is not consitiutionally a Scottish Parliament and that name has only been given by the popular press - did vote against nuclear boats I believe that the decesion is not within their powers and the UK government could ignore the decision.

So, where does the fleet go? If (again a big IF) Guz is out and the Scottish vote does ban nuclear vessels what will happen? Nothing!

The UK government could choose to ignore that vote and carry on anyway. The recent decision to continue with nuclear power stations means that as much as the Executive do not like it, it will happen anyway, and if there was no nuclear power in Scotland the self same Executive would have to accept electricity fro nuclear power plants in England!

Maybe this could lead to the opening of a new base somewhere but where?

So, I see Guz carrying on. Yes, there may come a time when Plymouth is decreed surplus to requirements but I can not see it happening in the immedate future.

McC

NotmeChief

Banned
Just watched the local news and they 'again' confirmed it by saying - "it's just speculation", if it wasn't true then he would have said so.

stumpy

War Hero
The good news is that there is loads of support on Arrse for the RN. I seriously worry about the future of Faslane if the SNP get more power, especially as it is just the sort of issue they will keep banging on about for the guaranteed publicity.

We should have kept Portland and dredged channels for the SSBNs!

lsadirty

War Hero
Being Guzz born and bred, it is a bit of a worry. I can remember Guzz in the 50s, ships and sailors galore, but now see a town where nearly every pub I remember as a lad being either gone, or used as student accommodation. Course, we got the dreaded vote of confidence from Broon - how many football managers survived the dreaded vote of confidence ? If they want my vote next time, they'd better switch on to defence and its implications for places outside Rosyth and Faslane. Goodye from Guzz - greatest Naval theme park in UK 2012. Perhaps we could have an Olympic PU contest to celebrate the closure of Boobs- at least we would win the team gold, plus the individual gold, silver and bronze !!