Guzz to close in 5 years???

Discussion in 'Bases / Shore Est' started by stumpy, Feb 24, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sad....very, very sad.

2. We were never in doubt that this was the intention despite the lies of the smarmy jock.

I wonder if his wife believes him when he says he has been working late, he is the biggest liar and con artist this parliament has ever known.

3. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

A strategically ridiculous decision in view of the uncertainty over Scotland and its "Government"'s anti-nuclear views. Obviously votes count more than the defence of the United Kingdom. This Govt needs reminding that we accept government in this country primarily to ensure the Queen's Peace at home and the defence of the Realm. The former has been pretty well abandoned and now the latter also. All the rest is trimmings which we will soon no longer be rich enough to afford.

4. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

First Ian Holloway and now Gordon Brown... as Francis once said: "And now, the end is near..." :wink:

5. Clearly Michael Smith doesn't know the difference between a Dockyard and a Base.

Having spent all that money on the nuclear facility, It clearly makes sense to gash it for the geologically unstable Jockanese pit. Astutes may have longer planned LOP(R) cycles but we still need support for the V boats. How long is our practical experience of long LOP(R) cycles? Where's the safe insurance option?

The CVFs are a blessing to this Government. They need Rosyth to build the things and they're too big for Guz. Find an excuse for not needing its safe nuclear facility and bye bye Guz.

6. I'm sure this is just "briefing" in the race between Pompey and Guz not to be culled

It is from a "senior MOD source" which could mean owt TBH

What the effects on Guz will be if it all goes I have no idea!!!!!!! Thoughts please

7. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Well "Jester's" would have to close... :cry:

8. What is more worrying is the article by Simon Jenkins later on in the times, which boils down to the Navy not needing the carriers because the army are locking in two wars.

It looks like a thinly vailed stab by the Army.

Looks like the subject for a new thread but i don't know how to do that!

9. Does it matter? After all we will still have Lake Windermere on which to base and support what will be left of our Navy in five years time!

IDOITDEEPER

10. Already happening on ARRSE here and here.

11. Crap! There's no way Guzz dockyard will be closed in 5 years. I'm not saying it won't happen at somepoint but not that soon. A sensational headline designed to grab attention with the figure of 5 years pulled out of the air based on the last V boat refit being complete by 2012. Given DMLs (sorry, Bacbcock Marines) history I wouldn't expect them to rush the next 2 refits through and be done within 5 years. Victorious isn't out yet! The T boats will not have all decommsioned within 5 years either.

Eventually all S/Ms will be based in Faslane true, and they won't require refuelling. However, they will still require RAMPS/DAMPS though, and there is only one shiplift in Faslane. While I realise Rosyth, also run by Babcock, is capable of docking S/Ms, Devonport is traditionally a Labour voting area and they're going to need the votes come the next election. I would suggest there will still be a dockyard (albeit a scaled down one) in Devonport for a little while yet.

12. Sorry pempeyexpat but Gordon Brown confirmed it by refusing to reply to a direct question on it in parliament.

13. Surely that's just the SOP whenever any politician is asked any question. They'd probably try and evade a question about their date of birth if they could, just in case they'd been misinformed by an advisor!

14. *Jobs Boost* *Biggest Contract*
    *Winning Streak* *Biggest Landmark*
    *DML Shines* *Pioneering Work*
    *Big New Deal* *Ahead of time*
    *Another Cracking Year for the Group*

Blah Blah Blah

Stunning headlines in the days of DML were they not??

http://www.devonport.co.uk/news-linkmagazine.htm

15. Only if they have something to hide. If a thing is definate, they do reply. A refusal means a negative reply is all they have to give.

If Guzz wasn't closing he would have put banners up proclaiming that fact, look what a good bastard I am.

16. I'm not sure if I'm missing the point here, it is after all Sunday afternoon and I'm stuck at work dying of boredom so I'm not at my best. All the above headlines come from an in-house publication. They're going to big themselves up aren't they? You wouldn't expect it to read "DML cut corners and do a s**t job again" would you? I wasn't trying to make any argument for why Devonport should stay open over another yard (my father-in-law works here, but he retires in a year or two anyway), mearly trying to show why, even if Devonport does close down, it won't be in 5 years.

17. Just who are we supposed to believe then?
    My moneys on HM Govt welding the gates shut, as for when, only time will tell.

Babcock nee DML nee Her Majesties Royal Dockyard Devonport.
    Soon to be known as Chessingtons World of Old warships and submarines.
    Admission £10 (Closed Bank Holidays & weekends) :crazy:

18. FFS - Another misleading thread title. I was over the moon that Guzz, including Swilley, was closing but then realised that it was only the Dockyard...FFS :-

"Dockyard Matey's children, sittin' on the dockyard wall
    Just like their fathers, doin' bugger all..

When they grow up they'll be dockyard mateys too
    Just like their fathers with fcuk-all to do.... "

:thumright:

RM

19. North Prospect has had a bit of a makeover .........

http://gct13.com/e/20071204/north-prospect