GUTTED TOTALLY GUTTED

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by smudgster!, Dec 2, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I left the RN in 2005 and was getting ready to re join, my paperwork was all in order, i found my last paystatements, passed the tests, and the medical. all set i thought, then last tuesday after 19 years of never even having a wheeze, i ended up in A and E with a massive asthma attack, possibly brought on by a chest infection, well ther goes my chances of coming back.

sorry to have bored you all with this little tale, but if there are anyone out there who is either asthmatic, or have a illness thy think they can avoid telling the navy about, please dont do it, i havent had any asthma symtoms for nearly 20 years, ( i did tell the AFCO this, and on my medical the first time) and all of a sudden BANG, imagine if i was at sea.

well at least i have served, once RN always RN.

2. Smudge,

Have you talked to your careers advisor/AFCO ME about this. If it wasn't actually Asthma then you may still be eligible.

Check first don't just assume

Supermario

:nemo:

3. Don't panic too much. There is a bit of a bug going round at the moment which is causing such symptoms. Me and a lot of others have had it or still got it two weeks on.
    I would give it a few days and see what transpires.
    Good luck and don't believe too much what the NHS say. They told me my daughter was fine after her horse jumped over somebody and threw her off.
    A second opinion at another hospital found her shoulder to be broken, and that was after we had dragged her all around HMS Victory. Poor little bugger.

4. thanx guys, i have to go back to my GP on thursday (tomorrow), and ill pop into the AFCO afterwards to see what the score is, absolutlely gutted tho.

5. Doctors use asthma to diagnose alot of things. It could be a massive chest infection giving breathing difficulties. Doc's love asthma as it covers lots of illnesses that they have no clue what it actually is.

6. Right, sorry, I saw this and couldn't resist replying.

Asthma as a syndrome is defined as 'REVERSIBLE lower airway constriction.' How do you measure that? The only true way to diagnose it is to hook someone up to a spirometer, wait for them to have an attack (see the problem here?), do spirometry then give B2-Agonist (e.g. Salbutamol) then do spirometry again to see if they've improved.

In short, (in the real world) the definition of asthma is recurrent airway constriction that responds to asthma medication. What he had was, by definition, an asthmatic attack if it responded to salbutamol. However, asthma and a single asthmatic attack are a little different. You can get one asthmatic attack and only ever have one...doesn't mean you have asthma.

Sounds like you [the thread starter] only had one attack. At your (presumed) age, I'd be hard pressed to give you a diagnosis of asthma on the basis of one episode. Good idea going to your doc, try and get it sorted.

C

7. Wow!!! :w00t:

i am impressed :thumright:

8. Same as smoking!!!
    Doc : How many cigarettes do you smoke a day?
    Patient : About 15
    Doc : Well that doesn't help, with a broken knee!!!

Just a scenario that popped into my head!!

9. let us know how you get on with your doctor smudgster

10. Smudgster
    I been in the mob for 17 years and was diagnosed with Asthma nearly 2 years ago. I still P2 and still at sea. Medication works well!! I diagnosed after nearly 4 years of v bad chest infections and breathing difficulties. I now 38 and developed it in later life. Still live life to the full and get on with the physical side of life. Dont know but dont believe this should be a problem in this day and age.
    Speak to the doc at the recruting office, you been in before, I personnaly dont see the problem with you coming back in
    Good Luck

11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The standards for entry are entirely different from those currently serving, for obvious reasons, so we should avoid the comparison, notwithstanding they are made with best intentions. We need to manage realistic expectations rather than give rise to false hope- the Medical Examiner is the definitive source with regard a prospective candidate's medical suitability for service & whilst individuals should be encouraged to apply, it's inaccurate to suggest a positive outcome based on hearsay.

There are absolute standards for entry & if there is doubt regarding accurate diagnosis in the first instance then further tests may be considered if the GP expresses doubt over diagnosis.

Hopefully the Medical Examiner will consider the circumstances surrounding an applicant before making a decision, however that possibility is best left to those qualified to make the assessment.

12. Reminds me, I saw my GP a few weeks ago during leave just to check a few things out. Conversation was as follows:

DOC: So I see you're a smoker.
    ME: Yes.
    DOC: And what do you plan to do about it?
    ME: Absolutely nothing. I'm in the Navy.
    DOC: Oh, ok.

13. Carcass,

Sorry - that's a load of shite.

We do not wait for people to get a severe asthma attack, then wire them up to a Vitalograph for testing to make them really breathless before treating them. Not a terribly nice way to treat someone who is breathless.

It is very unusual for an adult to have one episode of asthma. Children get wheezy when young, but 60% of kids who use inhalers under the age of 6 do not need them after 6. 80% don't need tham after the age of 12.

Occasionally certain infections can cause some wheeze which may respond to salbutamol (Ventolin), but it's not terribly common. For salbutamol to work there must be some airway constriction - in 'normal' (ie non-asthmatic) lungs there shouldn't be much of this, so the inhaler won't make much difference.

To the OP - I'd strongly recommend going to see your GP and having a set of pulmonary function tests performed to see what your lungs are like when well. That will tell you whether or not you have asthma. Whatever people say, doctors do generally have a bit of an idea about common medical conditions like asthma. Any probs, PM me and I'll do my best to help out.

AD

14. Mnay thanx to all peopl ewho have helped out on this subject, i have seen my GP, she is of the opinon that it was an asthma attack, and i have been prescribed 2 inhalors, 1) which is a blue ventolin one, and 2) a purple one called seretide, i have used these about once since i came out of hospital.

i am also of the thought, and my GP is with me on this one, i had just had the flu (manflu, its a killer) and a chest infection, i had given up smoking ( 60 a day) 3 weeks previous to this, and this combined to induce the asthma attack.

amgry doc i have PMed with some medical stuff, and many thanx for your help.

ninja stoker, i will be going to my AFCO after this, but as i have been prescribed 2 inhalors, i belive that will be a bar to entry.

15. Hope something works out for you Smudgester

SM

:nemo:

17. heres a quick update, since this last attack, i have had no further episodes, i have lost further weight, and have been a non smoker for 4 months, i have had my seretide inhalors reduced, to nil, from 250 mg 2 times a day, and my blue inhalors are currently gathering dust in my bathroom, so i would possible say it was not asthmatic, however iam not a doctor, nor am i a careers adviser, so please angrydoc, ninja stoker, and supermario, would i be able to re join the RN? Or am i pissing in the wind? iam 35 in august, and if i had to wait anopther 4 years id be ineligble.

advice please?????????

18. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Smudgster: I'm not sure whether your health will be a bar to entry, but I'm sure someone may penalise you for your grammar. I assume English is your primary language..? :oops:

19. good job, i dont want to be an officer then!

20. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Why? Is it only Officers who can speak and write propa Engerlund, innit? :roll: