Gus Honeybun - merely a saint or truly a god?

Discussion in 'Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy' started by PinkMafiosi, Dec 10, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This was prompted by an entry in one of the other forums. Personally I see Flambards as being Gus Honeybun's St Helena....

Any lewd comments regarding Judy Spiers can be started in another thread :banned: :thumright:
    [​IMG]

2. I live not far from Gus. I've seen him not so long ago poor chap is looking tired and old now. He needs to have a bit of pampering and a clean and grace the screens again

3. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Is it an urban myth or did 42 Cdo really kidnap him and ransom him for 1000 jelly babies?

I heard that they cut his ear off and sent it back to the studios with the ransom note. They didn't get the jelly babies because the studios had about 4 other Gus's in stock.

editted to ask....can I have ten hops for asking the question?

4. From TV Cream:

5. My kids were reared on Gus and Judi Spiers - shame on the new station for dumping him ! Always remember the giant "Magic Carrot" being tossed to Judi, who was taken by surprise and fell backwards off her chair - all you saw was a pair of legs in the air. Funniest thing I'd seen in years, and still makes me PMSL when I think of it.

6. Contributor mode

Circa 69/70 Gus was shaking his ears for some kid or matelots birthday when an ear fell off. Next entry of hero, he had a huge white bandage wrapped around hid head.

Good thinking by the production team, kids and Jack happy that their hero was being looked after.

Nutty

7. Are happy days of legging it back to the mess to see Gus & Judi, she was tidy in those days just like fern britton was.

8. One of whom may have had sex in the Navy Days Officer's car which was parked on the Wardroom Lawn allegedly.

9. Gus Honeybun was a drunk and a womaniser.
    Good riddance to him.

10. Seem to remember his head fell off one programme - little bugger was shaking it about so much! The shot of his head rolling away kept appearing on those "It'll be alright on the night shows". Ahh! Happy Days!

11. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

His head fell off just before Christmas 1981. We were doing 1st harbour-week at BOST. We tuned in religiously to Gus and the bloke and Judy were obviously a bit pissed, he seemed to be tweaking her under the desk and she was giggling, Judy swiped at Gus and the head popped off - the blokes fingers still attached to the two rings that controlled his eyes. We sat there open-mouthed. No Sky+ in them days.

Levers

12. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

This has to win the prize for best thread title on RR! Nice one.

Happy memories likewise.[​IMG]

13. Levers, I'm shocked that the RSPCA weren't summoned to assist said Battered Bunny and prosecute his attacker. Talk about domestic violence! ;)

Rosie, when I opened this thread I naturally assumed Gus was your latest infatuation! I must confess to having no recollection of him whatsoever... BUT... having now seen him I can now understand Wrens passion for subduvet rabbits... he's soooooooo cute. I want to take him home and look after him! :thumright: :razz:

14. Being a northerner, it was always a treat to go on holiday to Cornwall and seeing Gus on the local TV when I was kid. Is he still on?

For some reason, I've always mixed him up with Gordon Honeycomb (as you do). News at Ten would have been much more entertaining...

15. Grandad, was the world REALLY Black and White in those days?
    :D

I must declare that my vote would probably go to the entire team at Trumpton for keeping my childhood childlike and also for helping me to reminisce via my Trumpton Ringtone!

16. PMSL! :lol:

When I first visited the G Spot in 1978 (I was only 15 then) I was ASTONISHED that the messdecks had coloured paint in them and blue double doors. I was absolutely convinced thast the whole place existed in various shades of grey! :oops: :biggrin: The BLUE sky was the biggest shock! ;) Interesting it also seemed HUGE. When I went back in 2002 it had definately SHRUNK. That what technicolor does! ;)