Gurkhas - another slap in the face for Broon & Co

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by FlagWagger, Mar 26, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

I'm surprised that this hasn't yet appeared in discussion: Gurkhas win 'legal first' against Government

There are times when I'm convinced that the law is an ass, and then they go and do something like this that restores faith in the legal establishment!

I also note that it hasn't yet appeared on the Brown Broadcasting Corporation's site.

2. BBC Radio 5 have been reporting on this all day. Good news!

3. Just to inform you flagwagger............There is NO LINK between the executive and the Judiciary.........That is so that the Judiciary CAN'T be told what to do by the executive.........

Its call democracy.........

I do wish that people would use the intelligence they purport to have before writing such bile aimed at the Executive. Just to keep you up to speed the rules regarding the right to settle in the UK to those who left prior to 1997. This rule was voted through by the previous government. The current government requested that those leaving post the 1997 hand over should have right of settlement.

2 out of 10. Must do better

4. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Never said there was.

Agreed.

I think there's more to democracy than just separation of the executive and the judiciary....

My comment re the law being an ass was aimed not at the Executive but at the Judiciary - this latest ruling restores some faith in justice and absolutely none in the Executive.

If it were this simple, why have there been numerous petitions, court hearings etc. The facts as I see them are thet the current "Executive" in the form of New-Liebour created a situation that discriminated between Gurkhas serving pre and post 1997. This was ruled illegal by the High Court which was subsequently ignored by the said Executive. Whichever way you look at it, the Executive have not handled this matter at all well.

5. Good news - they deserve it - generations of these people have served this our country with pride and long may they continue