Gun Leander information

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by Wookie42, Oct 10, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My apologies if I have posted this in the wrong place but there didn't seem any obvious thread in which to put it. Perhaps if it is wrong one of the Mods could point me in the right direction.

I have recently picked up an interesting project: a 1/96 scale shipbuilder's model of HMS DANAE. Unfortunately it was in my local Sea Cadet unit in a perspex case and one of the cadets leant on the case which promptly disintegrated leaving a trail of destruction, especially across all of the upperworks such as radars, aerials, yards and guardrails etc. Somewhat foolishly, having a fair bit of ship modelling experience, I said I would fix it and my initial estimate was about 4-6 hours work. That was a serious underestimation as it took that long just to cut away all of the aerials and halyards that had become tangled. However, to cut to the chase, progress is now being made but I have come across a few pieces that despite having served in two Leanders (ANDROMEDA and PENELOPE), I don't recognise and have no idea where they go. So, if there are any ex-Gun Leander shipmates out there who recognise these items, could they please tell me what they are and where they go?

I know this fits somewhere down aft on the stbd quarter from looking at a photo of EURYALUS but exactly where or what it attaches to is beyond me. Someone suggested it might be associated with an early approach lighting system for the Wasp but it doesn't make sense having the approach from the stbd quarter.

I think this winch might be associated with the gantry above

???. I seem to have a vague recollection of seeing something like this up on the signal deck but exactly where or what for I cannot remember

And finally I have 2 of these aerial bases, I suspect they go somewhere amidships but no idea where or whether the wires attached to them are supposed to be whip aerials or are meant to attach to the main roof.

Any help from those who may have worked on these items or can shed a light where they go please do let me know.
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  2. Wookie. The only one I can help with is the base tuning unit which would have been connected to the main roof.
    I can also recommend this FB page, you will be inundated with helpful advice if you post your questions there.
  3. Thanks for your quick response. Up to now I've managed to avoid bookface with a passion!
  4. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Is the little winch used for the bathythermograph? Only guessing, mind, don't understand this TAS stuff. Euryalus Sydney 1968.jpg

Don't know whether you can get anything out of this photo, Euryalus 2nd commission in 1968 (the big thing is a bridge). Aerials will have varied from refit to refit.
  5. Seaweed

04b Hamoaze 1 1967.jpg

Coming up the Hamoaze, 1967
  6. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Did they carry a variable depth sonar said someone with no knowledge of these things and how they were streamed.
  7. Seaweed

Initially FFBNW, the compartment aft was used for the Chinese dhoby firm (not happy when pooped). I stand to be corrected but I suspect the difficulty in bringing the towed array into service was to do with stabilising its outputs given that the unit would be rolling around in three dimensions on the end of its cable. The 'office' compartment was used as a stowage for two midshipmen as (also in the GMDs) no accommodation had been planned for officers under training.
  8. DANAE (at least in this variation) has the VDS well but no sonar body or streaming gantry so its nothing to do with that. As far as I can recollect from my early career, the concept of the hull mounted VDS was good but as soon as the Sea King cam along in the late 60s with its vastly more capable T195M the T199 was rendered largely redundant.

Hadn't thought about bathy - I'm so used to seeing the later variant when it was launched from a barrel depressed at about 60deg.

Those two photos do appear to show that base tuning unit alongside the fwd superstructure in line with the last life raft container but it appears to have a whip attached.
  9. Yes some whips had base tuning units as well but I believe the one you showed was one used on the main roof.
  10. If I remember, painted the whips on Danae a few times, gun and Exocet aft 2 either side of hangar on hinges for when at flying stations 2 fwd of funnel with base tuners, one on either bridge wing and one on top of turret if that helps?
    Cannot see all pics will have a look when I get home.
    The gantry frame, looks like a flying station barrier put across port of starb passageways to block access to flight deck?
    That slatted bit looks like a vent?

Would the Sea cadet unit be in Derby ?
  11. Sorry I can't help with your request in post #1 but just a bit of info for interest - we were still streaming the 199 VDS on Dido in 1982.
    I don't know how effective it was, you'd have to ask a sonar man. The hydrualic winch/gantry was part of my kit on the mortars section.
  12. Looks like that to me Rab, square box when the whip tuning boxes where flat rectangles.
    It was mounted of the deck on its own platform