Guidance on Criminal Records

Hey guys,
So some advice would go along way as you can guess by the title on the thread , yes I have a criminal record.
To outline it simply and I was brought up in care from the age of 11 but don't need to go into that side of it, I started getting into quite a bit of trouble when I was 14 for burglary theft and twoc as I left care I struggled a lot to find my feet as I was given zero support and went back to my old ways which I am ashamed for, I was sent to a YOI for 18 weeks and served 9 this was in 2013 since then I have kept my head down have a steady job engaged and have a little boy. What I need to know is if I apply to the RN even with the severity of my record and even if they are spent which I have been told by an AFCO I could ignore them as they are all spent do I stand a chance getting in and if I did ignore them and as you guys know the security vetting could I pass this stage.

I want to make it clear, I am 23 I have completely turned my life around And want to build a better life for my family like I didn't get.

Thanks guys :)

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Page Four of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act lists rehabilitation tariffs based on penalties.

You'll need to check for yourself on the document uploaded below, as Careers Advisers are briefed to inform candidates to seek legal advice in this area because spent convictions need not be declared & since we are going to interview you, we have to remain impartial...

If, for example, someone was sentenced over the age of 18 to a period of detention in a YOI of less than six months (irrespective of time spent in custody) in 2013, a period of two years must elapse AFTER completion of the full term before the penalty is "spent" - after which you, erm someone, may apply.

Obviously a history of convictions for dishonesty may affect employability in certain roles involving "trust", such as Logistics.

The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act applies to all convictions & subsequent penalties, not just the one declared on this thread.

Whilst spent convictions need not be declared to your AFCO, ALL convictions and penalties must be declared on the online security clearance application when gaining Security Clearance (SC). The content of of the online security clearance application is strictly between the applicant and National Security Vetting/Defence Business Services, the AFCO does not get visibility.

Failure to disclose = failure to gain SC = No job offer.

Good luck in your new life, you have a golden opportunity to forge a career - seize the opportunity.

Attachments

Thanks for the quick and positive response all I can Do is try right? When it comes to the SC do I get any chance to explain myself and the circumstances surround the offences or is is just I see you have been a little shit no chance.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Thanks for the quick and positive response all I can Do is try right? When it comes to the SC do I get any chance to explain myself and the circumstances surround the offences or is is just I see you have been a little shit no chance.
SC only checks your financial circumstances, criminal activities & nefarious deeds, if the offences/penalties are spent, they are spent and the slate is wiped clean as though they never happened.

Obviously, if you subsequently decide to discuss your shady past at interview, it helps if regret/remorse is expressed rather that attributing blame elsewhere.

Sumo

War Hero
Nothing to add, Ninja as always on his game, good luck, let us know how you progress. The navy us not for everyone but has given many on here a good life or start in life.

Latest Threads