Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Guidance Notes on Medical Standards For Entry

Rachelthree

War Hero
2kg will be easyyy. Eat often and a lot (although not junk food as it will make you feel like shite). Add shakes between meals if you cannot face loads of extra food. Don't have to become an absolute unit, just put on the weight they need you to and it will be easy enough to lose if need be in the future and when you are allowed to...

Guzzler

War Hero
I got a call from my AFCO on Friday about my weight. obviously you have to be fit in the RN but I am only 58kg. They said I have to put on 2kg before my join up date on the 23rd. Not an easy job cause I'm a race horse trainer so I have always had to keep my weight down. Anyone else had this??

Well it's decision time then isn't it?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
A litre of water weighs a kilo.

Failing that, eat pies or remain a horse trainer.

It's fairly straightforward, I'd have thought.

promsan

Badgeman
Accepted. Thankyou.

The learning point you need to take away is not to fire off a rant about how doctors make mistakes when your understanding of the subject at hand is only gleaned from second-hand sources. That behaviour I would expect from a teenager who is annoyed at being told they can't get their way - not what I would expect from someone who is serving (presumably).

Quite.

The information on this topic on this thread may be out of date. I think the attitude towards posters seems a little unwarranted. I hope that this post will not also attract similar responses.

Given that this thread is one that others may search online for, and land on, I felt it to be reasonable to add some information here on the Asperger's Syndrome question, as it should help dispel any confusion from a range of unreferenced or incompletely-referenced sources online.

Everybody makes mistakes, and we should all try to play the ball and not the man.

From page 4L-7:

JSP 950 UNCONTROLLED ONCE PRINTED
Annex L to Leaflet 6-7-4
Version 1.0 – Oct 2013
4L - 7
Last revised: 04 Jun 13
Last reviewed: 10 Oct 13

Disorders of Psychological Development (F80-F89)
4L.33. Candidates with clearly diagnosed autism (F84) or similar disorders are graded S8.

Candidates with a diagnosis of Asperger’s syndrome (F84.5) may appear unremarkable on examination. Those with a confirmed diagnosis of Asperger’s syndrome should normally be graded S8 unless there is doubt about the diagnosis or the condition is mild and does not cause disability then candidates should be referred to the sS occupational physician responsible for service entry. In cases of mild, entirely non-disabling Asperger’s Syndrome, it is reasonable for the sS OH physician to recommend to sS recruiting staff that pre-entry tests of suitability for military life (e.g. selection interviews and tests) are as good a form of assessment as a psychiatric assessment; thus these candidates do not require psychiatric input.
(See also row 12 of table on page 4L-10)

Source: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/requ...9 JSP 950 6 7 4 AnnexL Psychiatry Nov13 U.pdf

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Quite.

The information on this topic on this thread may be out of date. I think the attitude towards posters seems a little unwarranted. I hope that this post will not also attract similar responses.

Given that this thread is one that others may search online for, and land on, I felt it to be reasonable to add some information here on the Asperger's Syndrome question, as it should help dispel any confusion from a range of unreferenced or incompletely-referenced sources online.

Everybody makes mistakes, and we should all try to play the ball and not the man.

From page 4L-7:

(See also row 12 of table on page 4L-10)

Source: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/266576/response/651679/attach/3/20131009 JSP 950 6 7 4 AnnexL Psychiatry Nov13 U.pdf
Indeed.

Why are you replying to a three year old post? By all means post information that maybe of use to others, but there's no need for belated childish nonsense.

Also it is prudent to add that your link is to an uncontrolled document, also two years old, which may also be out of date. It is inadmissible as a grounds for appeal.

It's also been on ARRSE for two years or so: http://www.arrse.co.uk/community/th...jsp-950-replaces-jsp-346.197864/#post-5456975

slimeman

If anyone could has any information about these two questions it'd be greatly appreciated.

Firstly, is the VA standard for Aircraft Controller still VA3? It states this in the (outdated) Entry Standards booklet but I believe it may have changed - does anyone have the latest on this?

Also, am I correct in assuming that if you have vision to the standard of VA3 then you are essentially limited to Logs and Engineering branches? All Warfare branches seem to be VA2 from what I understand.

Thanks in advance for all replies.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Unfortunately the RN website is not multi-platform compatable, so I cannot extract the answer you seek because the PDF on the website will not open on my operating system. It's a known problem that has not been addressed for a couple of years, unfortunately. If your computer runs on the redundant Windows XP system with an outdated version of Internet Explorer 6 or thereabouts, it works a treat. :confused:

VA Standards are listed in BR3, eligibility standards for entry chapter, under the Eligibility Matrix; http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/~/media...s/reference library/br 3/20150615-br3home.pdf

VA3 is OK for just ME, WE, Logs & Medical, off the top of my head.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
If you can get it to load, the eligibility matrix is Chapter 7, Article 0759.

I'm fairly sure AC is at least VA2, if not VA1.

slimeman

Slightly odd - I managed to open the pdf and locate the matrix but the page can't be located. Strange considering that the RNR matrix opens up perfectly.

slimeman

Thanks Ninja_Stoker.

I appreciate that you might not be able to remember as you don't have ready access to the matrix, but is AET also VA3 or not? I don't see why it would be any different to the other engineering branches.

Many thanks.

slimeman

Sorry Ninja, just one more request...I promise!

Is Naval Airman (Aircraft Handler) also VA2?

Cheers for the replies, they've been incredibly helpful (unfortunately for me I have knackered eyesight so don't want to get my hopes set on certain trades).

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Sorry Ninja, just one more request...I promise!

Is Naval Airman (Aircraft Handler) also VA2?

Cheers for the replies, they've been incredibly helpful (unfortunately for me I have knackered eyesight so don't want to get my hopes set on certain trades).
AET is actually VA3 but Colour Perception CP2 - I've corrected my above post. ET(ME) & ET(WE) are VA3, CP4

Aircraft Controller is VA2, CP2 but max age 25.

Aircraft Handler is VA3, CP3 - same as Survival Equipment

slimeman

AET is actually VA3 but Colour Perception CP2 - I've corrected my above post. ET(ME) & ET(WE) are VA3, CP4

Aircraft Controller is VA2, CP2 but max age 25.

Aircraft Handler is VA3, CP3 - same as Survival Equipment

Brilliant Ninja_Stoker, thanks for following it up. Now I need to hope that I do well in mechanical comprehension or I'm going to be severely restricted in the number of trades I'm eligible for.

Also, this is a bit if a strange one - but has your AFCO ever had experience of a recruit having the superior right eye performance for VA2 waived? It's annoying as my left eye is near perfect, but a squint in my right eye means I dont meet the specified standard for VA2.

I've read it being due to the configuration of firing the SA80, but is there any reason why this is so for a non-combat role?

photface

Lantern Swinger
Hi all. I guess my question relates to re joining after being discharged TU.
I joined up as a chef when I was just turning 19. I enjoyed it for the most part but it was a very impulsive decision of mine (went to careers office on my way back from getting bread and milk, three months later was at Raleigh). I realise that I was too immature the first time round and the circumstances stacked themselves against me (got severely ill and couldn't cope with the bullying that ensued). I'm now 26 and in a much better place, much more together and finishing off a nursing degree. I wNted to give it another go as a nursing officer but not sure they would let me back in. Opinions please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Your suitability for future employment in the Naval service will hinge on the recorded circumstances leading-up to discharge and your medical history, post discharge.

If bullied, as claimed, then it is unusual for a person to even consider the prospect of returning, particularly if it directly affected their health.

In short: Nothing stopping you applying, no guarantee either way.

Best of luck.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ninja_Stoker Overseas Applications - Guidance Notes Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
Ninja_Stoker Her Majesty's Royal Naval Service Eligibility & Guidance Notes Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
Ninja_Stoker Security Clearance Form Guidance notes. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 122
MoD_RSS New and updated guidance for businesses regarding the end of the EU Transition Period MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Industry urged to check plant import and export guidance MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Antique industry urged to check guidance for trade of animal and furniture products from 1 January 2021 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Christmas guidance set out for university students  MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Jobcentre guidance on new national Covid restrictions MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New guidance to help UK digital firms engage safely and ethically with China MoD News 0
MoD_RSS CMA launches consultation on updated merger guidance MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New guidance for schools, colleges and early years MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New guidance to support safe care home visits during lockdown MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Clinically extremely vulnerable receive updated guidance in line with new national restrictions MoD News 0
MoD_RSS CMA issues draft guidance on consumer law for IVF sector MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil/crime news: legal guidance to prepare for 1 January 2021 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Nudge to knowledge: Government to boost pensions guidance take-up MoD News 0
MoD_RSS COVID-19: Additional guidance added MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New guidance published to support commercial fishers, merchants and exporters from 1 January 2021 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New funding and guidance to improve housing support for vulnerable people MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Crime news: online guidance for sending hearing fees rollout MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Guidance for GPs to access extra flu vaccines as part of expanded vaccination programme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New guidance on £9 billion Job Retention Bonus, set to benefit millions of businesses MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Guidance to parents and guardians: when you should book a coronavirus test for your child MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil news: HPCDS guidance updated as courts restart work MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil news: revised expert witness guidance available MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Fashion industry alerted to new guidance for trade of animal products MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Crime news: updated Crown Court fee guidance and new claim forms MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Updated guidance for universities ahead of reopening MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New guidance for British Nuclear Test Veterans MoD News 4
MoD_RSS Disabled people exempt from wearing face coverings under new government guidance MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Applying SSRO guidance to costs affected by COVID-19 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Building regulations and fire safety procedural guidance: circular letter 15 July 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New guidance for reopening of museums, galleries and the heritage sector MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New government guidance supports reopening of tourism and visitor attractions on July 4 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Plans to ease guidance for over 2 million shielding MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Crime news: secure file exchange ‘sign-up’ guidance available MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government publishes aviation COVID-19 guidance MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Regulator updates guidance on Value for Money metrics MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government guidance to help Britain's top sportsmen and women to return to training safely MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New guidance on moving home MoD News 1
MoD_RSS New guidance on spending time outdoors MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Coronavirus (COVID-19): new transport guidance for passengers and operators MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New guidance published to ensure transport network is safe for those who need to use it MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New guidance launched to help get Brits safely back to work MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Guidance published for Small-Scale Manufacturers of COVID-19 Personal Protective Equipment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS A statement on our updated guidance for private candidates MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New guidance for social landlords on essential moves MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Digital minister urges parents to follow new guidance to keep children safe online during lockdown MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Traffic Commissioners issue guidance on remote auditing during the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Guidance updated to support the safe management of funerals MoD News 0