Guidance needed for phase 3 Discharge Shock

Chris P

Lantern Swinger
S--t, doesn't anybody go to bed, this must be a gripping story for everybody to answer at once................and I'm the other side of the world!

Templer1

Midshipman
I would respectfully suggest my Naval life experience exceeds your own and I have a better insight into how the system operates.

You have said he failed exams due to his dyslexia and this was the reason for his educational discharge. I have never heard of this, nor the AFCO either it would seem but I can soon confirm if this exists.

The reason I'm sceptical is the RN have always tested recruits for numeracy and literacy. For many years it was called NAMET (Naval Maths and English Test), then it changed to LANTERN (Literacy And Numeracy TEst Royal Navy) and now it's called Key Skills with the only exemptions being for those with GCSE A-C, or whatever they're called now.

With all that, plus completing chefs course, I fail to see how he failed SMQ. My time at Raleigh as a DO was in the submarine school, which SMQ is part of, so I'm aware of the course content, it isn't that difficult if you put the effort in.

However, as this is an unofficial forum, whatever we say is irrelevant and you appear only to want to listen to those who agree with you.

Good luck with the appeal.
I would respectfully suggest my Naval life experience exceeds your own and I have a better insight into how the system operates.

You have said he failed exams due to his dyslexia and this was the reason for his educational discharge. I have never heard of this, nor the AFCO either it would seem but I can soon confirm if this exists.

The reason I'm sceptical is the RN have always tested recruits for numeracy and literacy. For many years it was called NAMET (Naval Maths and English Test), then it changed to LANTERN (Literacy And Numeracy TEst Royal Navy) and now it's called Key Skills with the only exemptions being for those with GCSE A-C, or whatever they're called now.

With all that, plus completing chefs course, I fail to see how he failed SMQ. My time at Raleigh as a DO was in the submarine school, which SMQ is part of, so I'm aware of the course content, it isn't that difficult if you put the effort in.

However, as this is an unofficial forum, whatever we say is irrelevant and you appear only to want to listen to those who agree with you.

Good luck with the appeal.
As i said before, he didn't fail due to dyslexia but obviously found it very hard with dyslexia, he passed Raleigh with flying colors but phase 3 which is in faslane he was discharged from not phase 1&2 smq's and as for only agree we me please can you point me to some one that has lol if you read what happend and what the instructor said to this recruit about passing his psychometric tests but failing his final exams you will understand

Stirlin

War Hero
Scan the discharge papers and post them on here , once we have read them , after all you are asking for our advice
then we and you can put this to bed.

Waspie

War Hero
Don't know what it's like these days but during Phase 3 as it is today, exams came fast and furious, weekly on occasion twice weekly. This was the make or break period. Fail to pass an exam at the required level and bye bye, enter one train ticket home.
Most recruits know what is expected of them and step up their game. It's all about focus and application.
It's been said over and over on this thread but it's what isn't being said that is standing out like the proverbial dogs danglers!! But this doesn't seem to be registering at all. Most of us have been there, some even maybe failed the odd exam but we stuck at it. Most of us are talking from personal experiences and not from information passed on by mouth!

Paxman_Valenta

Badgeman
As i said before, he didn't fail due to dyslexia but obviously found it very hard with dyslexia, he passed Raleigh with flying colors but phase 3 which is in faslane he was discharged from not phase 1&2 smq's and as for only agree we me please can you point me to some one that has lol if you read what happend and what the instructor said to this recruit about passing his psychometric tests but failing his final exams you will understand
Rather than calling people out who are vastly more experienced than you, what is it you want to achieve from this post? We’ve all said that perhaps there is more to this story than you’re letting on, but what do you want from us? It seems very peculiar that the lad was discharged with no option to return for three years for having a SPLD. But I know nothing of the SMQ process as I am a skimmer...

In my personal opinion I think the lads accumulated a fair amount of NGT warnings then been booted out for being unsuitable for further training. Secondly, I also bet a make and mend chit that the person who’s been discharged is actually you Templar.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
I am well aware that SMQ is in Faslane and is Phase 3 for submariners, I was a submariner for over 30 years. You stated he failed exams citing dyslexia as his reason, therefore it was the root cause and this is what I'm questioning.

We're going round in circles now. As has been stated, what do you hope to achieve by posting on here?

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Could this be a case of going Submariner Chef to get a quicker entry, then deliberately failing the Submariner course with the hope of going GS Chef? If so it didn't get the required result.

Branch-Hopper

War Hero
We are the font of all naval knowledge. We, the sarcastic, sorry, we knowledgeable bunch of naval reprobates are the answer to all things recruiting, medical and tradecraft!
I mean, what do the careers service do. Well of course, they ask us!!
Quite. Look at Ninja Stoker.
Once he learnt everything from us he b******ed off, and won't play anymore.
:)

Sumo

War Hero
How the hell did I miss a dysfunctional thread?

Yes but the OP's 'relative' was a submariner for................ oh, for at least......... oh, maybe not, he wasn't, failed SMQs (allegedly).

I reckon its @Sumo under a soodmine ppsuedonom another name.
Nope not I, but @Templer1 is Dyslexic by the post written.

lucky for me I had no idea I was Dyslexic whilst serving, hence I never had the disability card to pull, other than you expect me to get my fat ares under the casing, mine were casing polishes not crawls.

as @WreckerL and @pompeyexpat said 3 strikes and out, but that is never the case 3 formal strikes yes, but there are many get you shit sorted out warnings before the formal ones.

You cannot be discharged for being Dyslexic as it is protected under the dysfunctional workers act of 2010 along with gender plus others.
A 3 year wait due to education, says to me as a Dyslexic and parent of Dyslexics (what we pass to our kids?) is there is an underlying attitude that needs adjusting, e.g. 3 years to grow up.

as stated above in boats we put our life's in the hands of all crew members, so standards are not to slip.

anyway wats this SMQ stuff, hardcore me, Part III trained

Friend of the family tried going Chef, I knew he was a cocky gobby little git and told him to keep his mouth shut until fully qualified, kicked out told to come back in 18 months, when he had matured?

All I see here is someone meeting the real world and finding yes you have rights, but leaning on them like a crutch doesn't work, especially when the RN requires you to grow and pull your weight.

appeal by all means but look back and think what could I have done differently? when given guidance why did I not listen ?

Not quite as old or bold as wrecker I only did 24 years in an engineering branch.

Waspie

War Hero
How the hell did I miss a dysfunctional thread?

Nope not I, but @Templer1 is Dyslexic by the post written.

lucky for me I had no idea I was Dyslexic whilst serving, hence I never had the disability card to pull, other than you expect me to get my fat ares under the casing, mine were casing polishes not crawls.

as @WreckerL and @pompeyexpat said 3 strikes and out, but that is never the case 3 formal strikes yes, but there are many get you shit sorted out warnings before the formal ones.

You cannot be discharged for being Dyslexic as it is protected under the dysfunctional workers act of 2010 along with gender plus others.
A 3 year wait due to education, says to me as a Dyslexic and parent of Dyslexics (what we pass to our kids?) is there is an underlying attitude that needs adjusting, e.g. 3 years to grow up.

as stated above in boats we put our life's in the hands of all crew members, so standards are not to slip.

anyway wats this SMQ stuff, hardcore me, Part III trained

Friend of the family tried going Chef, I knew he was a cocky gobby little git and told him to keep his mouth shut until fully qualified, kicked out told to come back in 18 months, when he had matured?

All I see here is someone meeting the real world and finding yes you have rights, but leaning on them like a crutch doesn't work, especially when the RN requires you to grow and pull your weight.

appeal by all means but look back and think what could I have done differently? when given guidance why did I not listen ?

Not quite as old or bold as wrecker I only did 24 years in an engineering branch.
Here’s me agreeing with a bloody submariner!!!
I’ll have to go back for Wafu adjustment therapy!!!

Stirlin

War Hero
Could this be a case of going Submariner Chef to get a quicker entry, then deliberately failing the Submariner course with the hope of going GS Chef? If so it didn't get the required result.
Nail and head mate , I am calling him out...................Fol de rol.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M 1st post - help/guidance needed Nearest & Dearest 2
MoD_RSS Government guidance to help Britain's top sportsmen and women to return to training safely MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New guidance on moving home MoD News 1
MoD_RSS New guidance on spending time outdoors MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Coronavirus (COVID-19): new transport guidance for passengers and operators MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New guidance published to ensure transport network is safe for those who need to use it MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New guidance launched to help get Brits safely back to work MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Guidance published for Small-Scale Manufacturers of COVID-19 Personal Protective Equipment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS A statement on our updated guidance for private candidates MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New guidance for social landlords on essential moves MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Digital minister urges parents to follow new guidance to keep children safe online during lockdown MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Traffic Commissioners issue guidance on remote auditing during the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Guidance updated to support the safe management of funerals MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UKEF guidance for creditors on temporary suspension of debt service repayments MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Guidance on contacting the Student Loans Company MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 6/2020: coronavirus response and updated guidance MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New personal protective equipment (PPE) guidance for NHS teams MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Crime news: guidance on self-employed complex means applications MoD News 0
MoD_RSS COVID-19: sample submission guidance for VICs and PME centres MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Coronavirus (COVID-19) guidance for Community Interest Companies (CICs) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Coronavirus – Guidance on access to green spaces MoD News 0
MoD_RSS COVID-19 Guidance: Advice to UK businesses in Switzerland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS COVID-19 essential travel guidance MoD News 0
MoD_RSS COVID-19 Guidance: Information for NI Businesses & Employers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Isolation guidance for residential educational settings MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Coronavirus (COVID-19) guidance for the charity sector MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Updated data protection impact assessment template and guidance launched MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New guidance for households with possible COVID-19 infection MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government publishes updated COVID-19 industry guidance MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New adult social care guidance to protect the most vulnerable against COVID-19 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Coronavirus (COVID-19) guidance for employees, employers and businesses MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Updated media guidance will ensure easier access to court information MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Circular 017/2018: Updated Home Office guidance on police misconduct MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Maritime minister undertakes future of shipping industry tour, as ports cyber security guidance is updated MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Open letter: GCSE tier entry guidance MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New digital portal to strengthen safeguarding guidance for charities MoD News 0
O Guidance Required for Phase 1 INT (R) Discharge –NFA(Med)PREM – Dyspraxia Joining the Royal Navy 5
MoD_RSS Civil/crime news: updated guidance on removable media available MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Guidance on bailiff and enforcement officer scam MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government publishes criminal court guidance for defendants MoD News 0
MoD_RSS EU Exit guidance for agri-food stakeholders from Defra MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil/crime news: legal guidance to prepare for no-deal EU exit MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Updated guidance on the movement of equines in a no deal scenario MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New ways for people to access guidance and support MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Revised road closure guidance to boost children's outdoor play MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Draft guidance published to underpin the Offensive Weapons Act MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New guidance for goods vehicle operators and drivers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Delivering for Welsh-speaking Wales: UK Government launches bilingual communications guidance MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil news: changes to speed up payments and new guidance MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Review launched into statutory guidance for Local Authorities on providing youth services MoD News 0