Guest of Honour/guest speaker suggestions

Ageing_Gracefully

War Hero
Review Editor
Book Reviewer
Seeing as it seems I am not getting an invitation (humph!) how about Peter Hart. He is Head of Oral History at the Imperial War Museum, a very enthusiastic historian and I am sure that he would be a great A-D speaker.

You have to watch out for him though, if he finds out you have served, in any capacity, he tries to get you to tell your story to a microphone!

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
He was the CO when I went through Raleigh, it wasn't him, but I can imagine he'd be good, he used to bang out magic tricks to liven up Divisions.

His daughters were divs.
And one is now Commissioned in the Navy and married to another Officer (can't recall if he's a matelot or a bootneck).

Cdre Laurie was old school and utterly charming. Never got tired of working for him.

Commodore Paul Sutermiser,excuse spelling, he has done a couple of our Traf dinners and lives in North Yorks,he is something to do with 8th Destroyer has some good dits!

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

Thanks for your assistance on this guys. Some good ideas.

Now, cost. £50 a head too much?

I'm from gods country and I could live with it.

Drinks reception, 3 course meal with wine, military musicians, guest speaker.

What do we think?

Ageing_Gracefully

War Hero
Review Editor
Book Reviewer

What do we think?
50 notes is a very fair price for a formal do, with speakers, especially if the function is a fundraiser. There will always be someone who pays, comes along yet moans about the cost, ignore them.

If it is a fundraiser, make sure you a) remind folks to bring their wallets, stuffed and b) have some good ideas on how to extract said money.

Naked bar goes without saying.

Naked Uckers?

How long should the guest speaker be up for? Needs to be long enough to get their point across but not so long that people lose interest.

How long should the guest speaker be up for? Needs to be long enough to get their point across but not so long that people lose interest.
It might be best to ask the speaker how long he/she would like to speak for; an experienced speaker, such as Eric Grove, will have spoken at such events many times and will be able to tell you in advance how long he would like for talking on a specific topic.

What do we think?
Trehorn

Does the ticket price include a donation to a charity?

The intention is that it will be a not for profit dinner. Any monies made over and above the cost will be donated to charity. Probably RN/RM. I'm looking into doing a charity auction. A major sporting venue is in the running for hosting the dinner so signed merchandise may not be out of the question.

Just to reiterate that I am using these suggestions as part of my proposal to get permission to crack on so nothing is Definate as yet.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S The Gash Barge 113
M The Quarterdeck 47
Bad CO Site Issues 4