Guest of Honour/guest speaker suggestions

Discussion in 'Social & Reunions' started by trehorn, Nov 5, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening all,

I'm looking for any suggestions (preferably realistic one's) for a Guest of Honour/Guest Speaker at a dinner to commemorate the 100 year anniversary of the Great War and in particular the Royal Naval Division.

Very early stages as yet but looking at a dinner for 150+ in Leeds next year. Obviously a nautical (but nice ;-)) connection would be preferable.

The names I can think of are;

1. Dan Snow - formally S.C.C and now holds honourary rank of Lt Cdr RNR.
    2. Prof Eric Grove - Naval Historian as seen on numerous nautical documentaries.
    3. Prince Michael of Kent - Honorary Commodore RNR.
    4. Dame Ellen MacArthur - Honorary rank of Lt RNR.

Any other suggestions?

2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Bear Grylls (honorary Lt Cdr RNR)?

Bruce Parry (ex-RM Officer)?

Keith Lemon (ex-Wren)? :twisted:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  3. Good effort - he's on my other list at work. Forgot to add him on here.

Thanks.

4. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Ill do it, anything for a free nosh.

For my quals, I spent 3 months on HMS Maidstone in 1970 when she was parked in Belfast harbour.

5. Thanks, dropped him a tweet.

6. I'd avoid Prince Michael of Kent. He's a jolly nice chap but he can barely string a sentence together. I've met him a fair few times and if I'm honest I doubt his ability to bang out an entertaining after dinner dit.

We had a R Admiral who did a cracking after dinner speech at the HAC once. He did magic tricks and everything. I can't remember his name but I think he was deputy CGS or something.

7. I know that these are long shots but Lord Ashcroft and Jeremy Clarkson.

Edit: I realise that they don't exactly fulfil the criteria now so will try to come up with something more sensible after I've had a cup of coffee.

8. Oh before the coffee .....

There is a well-known military historian called Richard Hargreaves. Writes books and stuff.

Has a Naval connection.

:)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  9. 2DD, there was a Commodore Brokenshire who was a member of the magic circle who used to do that, he was our guest at a mess dinner once, span some good dits in between doing tricks.

• Like Like x 2
  10. He was the CO when I went through Raleigh, it wasn't him, but I can imagine he'd be good, he used to bang out magic tricks to liven up Divisions.

His daughters were divs.

11. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

No military connection, but I've seen Dean Richards do an after dinner speech. He was very good.

12. I actually have an oppo from the gun factory who does after dinner dits about guns and shooting etc. He's pretty good and he's also a member of the Nelson society, he's never served but has a very strong interest in naval history. If you want his digits drop me a PM.

13. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Some of these people are doing it professionally so may expect a fee as well as a free dinner.

14. Yep. Being in some provincial Yorkshire dump, they'll also expect accom in a top notch hotel.

15. How about the young thruster who had his IPOD taken from him?
    Or the Killick split boat driver:(

16. How very dare you sir! We resemble that remark!! Leeds has a wonderful array of youth hostels and failing that there's always the Leeds Crypt!

Uncle Jimmy always liked th Queens hotel. ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Eric Grove.Naval historian, and lecturer in things Naval, at a university somewhere oop north I think.

18. Hadn't you heard Sol? =D