Guest of Honour/guest speaker suggestions

Evening all,

I'm looking for any suggestions (preferably realistic one's) for a Guest of Honour/Guest Speaker at a dinner to commemorate the 100 year anniversary of the Great War and in particular the Royal Naval Division.

Very early stages as yet but looking at a dinner for 150+ in Leeds next year. Obviously a nautical (but nice ;-)) connection would be preferable.

The names I can think of are;

1. Dan Snow - formally S.C.C and now holds honourary rank of Lt Cdr RNR.
2. Prof Eric Grove - Naval Historian as seen on numerous nautical documentaries.
3. Prince Michael of Kent - Honorary Commodore RNR.
4. Dame Ellen MacArthur - Honorary rank of Lt RNR.

Any other suggestions?

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Bear Grylls (honorary Lt Cdr RNR)?

Bruce Parry (ex-RM Officer)?

Keith Lemon (ex-Wren)? :twisted:

Last edited:

Ageing_Gracefully

War Hero
Review Editor
Book Reviewer
Ill do it, anything for a free nosh.

For my quals, I spent 3 months on HMS Maidstone in 1970 when she was parked in Belfast harbour.

I'd avoid Prince Michael of Kent. He's a jolly nice chap but he can barely string a sentence together. I've met him a fair few times and if I'm honest I doubt his ability to bang out an entertaining after dinner dit.

We had a R Admiral who did a cracking after dinner speech at the HAC once. He did magic tricks and everything. I can't remember his name but I think he was deputy CGS or something.

I know that these are long shots but Lord Ashcroft and Jeremy Clarkson.

Edit: I realise that they don't exactly fulfil the criteria now so will try to come up with something more sensible after I've had a cup of coffee.

Oh before the coffee .....

There is a well-known military historian called Richard Hargreaves. Writes books and stuff.

Has a Naval connection.

:)

Last edited:
2DD, there was a Commodore Brokenshire who was a member of the magic circle who used to do that, he was our guest at a mess dinner once, span some good dits in between doing tricks.

2DD, there was a Commodore Brokenshire who was a member of the magic circle who used to do that, he was our guest at a mess dinner once, span some good dits in between doing tricks.
He was the CO when I went through Raleigh, it wasn't him, but I can imagine he'd be good, he used to bang out magic tricks to liven up Divisions.

His daughters were divs.

I actually have an oppo from the gun factory who does after dinner dits about guns and shooting etc. He's pretty good and he's also a member of the Nelson society, he's never served but has a very strong interest in naval history. If you want his digits drop me a PM.

Yep. Being in some provincial Yorkshire dump, they'll also expect accom in a top notch hotel.

How very dare you sir! We resemble that remark!! Leeds has a wonderful array of youth hostels and failing that there's always the Leeds Crypt!

Uncle Jimmy always liked th Queens hotel. ;-)

I know that these are long shots but Lord Ashcroft and Jeremy Clarkson.

Edit: I realise that they don't exactly fulfil the criteria now so will try to come up with something more sensible after I've had a cup of coffee.
[video=youtube_share;mQMYVVhufxs]http://youtu.be/mQMYVVhufxs[/video]

Hadn't you heard Sol? =D

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S The Gash Barge 113
M The Quarterdeck 47
Bad CO Site Issues 4