Guardian: "Women To Serve On RN Submarines From 2013"

fishface

MIA
Book Reviewer
So are they going to fit enough O2 tanks to last an entire bomber patrol? Can't just pop back to faslane to drop her off!

There's one question that looks not to have been asked.

Due to the crew needing to rely and depend on each other, is it not unreasonable to expect females to do exactly the same fitness test as their male counterparts?

Ie. An 18 year old female is expected to do 9:10 on the MSFT as is an 18 year old male.

Due to the crew needing to rely and depend on each other, is it not unreasonable to expect females to do exactly the same fitness test as their male counterparts?

Ie. An 18 year old female is expected to do 9:10 on the MSFT as is an 18 year old male.
We've been around this buoy many many times: the RNFT is a relative test of fitness, based on your VO2Max, an internationally accepted standard of fitness based around oxygen efficiency for a given age and gender [1]. The RN does not use an absolute test of fitness (like the Advanced CFTs required by the Infantry), nor does it test maximum repeatable strength.

[1] - VO2 max - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Topstop

War Hero
Fitness? Submariner? if you can walk from the bunk space to your place of work on board you are fit.

Well used to be.

It's not engaging outrage, I'm actually genuinely curious if it was taken into account seeing as they go on patrol for long periods and have to go it alone.

Edited to add: Mind you, I'm in a branch notorious for being slack on fitness. Maybe looking at loggies getting fit first might be a better idea.

Last edited:

witsend

MIA
Book Reviewer

It's not engaging outrage, I'm actually genuinely curious if it was taken into account seeing as they go on patrol for long periods and have to go it alone.

Edited to add: Mind you, I'm in a branch notorious for being slack on fitness. Maybe looking at loggies getting fit first might be a better idea.
Good to see your living up to your name here Scribes.

Latest Threads