Guardian: "UK's Top Admiral Faces World Of New Demands With An Austerity Fleet"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by soleil, Mar 10, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Thank you Soliel, had missed that one. Seems to put everything into perspective. I, for one would not fancy his job.
  2. If the Service reduces further in strength and capabilities, shouldn't he also be discussing with his tailor the removal of a ring from his uniform? Perhaps CAS should also think about that and CGS for one of his pips.
  3. And low. A new era of infighting between the three armed forces begins the likes of which have not been seen since the days of Nott!

Let battle commence.
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

5. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

That is a good point but isn't the whole story; The number we need is against the requirement which is for a lot more than bums on seats in platforms. But I think your wider point, about tooth to tail, should be addressed by the forthcoming chop.
  6. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Be careful what you wish for. Since my day Booties, Docs and Toothies (for instance) have all been knocked down a star at the top and the number of 4-star jobs is now vanishingly small as one C in C job after another has been wrapped in, ands of course the opportunities for sea command have shrunk considerably. What this means is (amongst other things) that the associated career path is attenuated which must have an effect on whether the best people stay in. I used to twit the inhabitant of the next door cabin that he would be lucky to fly his flag in a minesweeper (in the end he only got a flagpole in Scotland) and in those days the RN was over twice the size of what it is now. The RN, just the same as civilian companies, has never had any measure of the talent it has lost, but I believe those who get out voluntarily are often those who have the best chances outside.

It is also the case that some back-office functions are not directly proportionate to the number of hulls. For instance, repeated slicing of the tail could leave us with even worse MoD Procurement than seems now to be the case.
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Good points.

Unfortunately, despite the fact my comment above was not intended as an "us & them" starter for ten, there will undoubtedly be some disaffected individuals who will inevitably begin spouting their ill-informed, anti-officer bile sooner or later. However before they do, it's perhaps worth considering our current position.

The RN is a quarter of the size of the Army, most of the medical hierarchy come under their umbrella, regardless of service, the Corps sadly now only number around 6000. Much as we'd like to have more say in the defence of the realm, fact is we're the smallest of the three by a long, long way. In fact Manchester Metropolitan University (one of dozens) has several hundred more students than the combined trained strength of the entire Royal Navy & Royal Marines. Problem is - they can't all be managers upon graduation, civil or service & there are more graduate working in supermarkets on the tills than there are 'hands-on' trained tradesmen in the entire UK.

I haven't got an answer to the imbalance of service personnel however, as good as they are, it's unlikely higher management in the service are going to put themselves up for voluntary redundancy to redress the balance. Then again, neither would I if I was one of the 250 captains, 70 commodores or 40 admirals with 24 warships to play with.
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011