Guardian: "Tower Of London's First Royal Navy Beefeater Goes On Duty"

Discussion in 'History' started by soleil, Oct 26, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Magda

Magda War Hero Book Reviewer

I was down at the Tower a few days back (quiet at the back!) and spoke to two of the Yeomen... one ex-Army really liked the RM/RN mix, but another, older ex-Army didn't, because it went against tradition (RN used to swear allegiance to the Admiralty, not the Crown... summat I didn't know).
  2. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

As far as I know the RN never swore allegiance to anybody as our loyalty was beyond doubt. Although it might have been a bit tricky getting an oath of allegiance out of a pressed man. Certainly naval officers were never sworn.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Magda

Magda War Hero Book Reviewer

He did mention briefly when I asked (spot the geek) that the RN also weren't eligible until "recently" because many men were press-ganged into "joining".
  4. I knew Bob a good few years ago and from his temperament and size I think he was an excellent choice. I wish him all the best.
  5. BZ to Bob. I know him of old and it came as no surprise when he told me recently that he was pursuing this.
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Good luck to him.

One hopes he reminds Royal they are in the Royal Navy too. :-D
  7. 1st Naval Beefer? Really? Could have fooled me. :laughing2:
    • Like Like x 5
  8. First sailor Beefeater begins work at Tower of London

9. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Misleading title: my mate Rob G******l (ex-RN Regulator) is a Yeoman at the Tower of London.
  10. Spent a top 15 months onboard the ARK with Bob as his EWOA. A true gent and could not happen to a nicer man.
    He told me about it towards the start of the year and i thought at first he was taking the piss. Top Man and a top bloke to of worked with and pissed up with.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Incorrect Article

The articles in all the papers are actually incorrect. Rob Fuller (Bob) was not actually the first Yeoman Warder to be recruited from the Navy ... as usual the press have got it all wrong. The first Navy Yeoman Warder is actually Rob Grenfell who was recruited in January !!
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Thank you

This is indeed very true ... glad somebody is putting things straight !!
  13. Nice to see but what changed, the Oath of allegiance?
  14. Calm down Jimbo, they've still got a place for you :)
    • Like Like x 1
  15. sgtpepperband

...G Block, Z Ward, perhaps? :? :wink:
  16. sgtpepperband

...well, we have a reputation to maintain! :shock: :wink:
  17. Christ Sgt ... thats going back some! Nights in Z Block when it was infectious diseases ward before it became the home for the bewildered ...arghh! and G Block was the Doris's block at some piont IIRC! You'll end up giving me nightmares!
    • Like Like x 1