Guardian: Royal Navy chooses Trainspotting style for TV ads

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by soleil, Dec 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Re: Guardian: Royal Navy chooses Trainspotting style for TV

WCRS. Just click their home page, select "Creative" then scroll to the right and find "Royal Navy" to see other adverts by them...

:thumbleft:

2. 'Creative', not 'clients'

3. Trainspotting (1996) camera angles/cutting techniques!!
    Any one else feel that RN has been ripped off by civvy PR company's yet again?
    FFS, second rate PR twunts accepting LCD PR crap at top rate copy rates, sounds like the usual 10 years behind the times routine RN/RM PR times to me.
    Wanktards!!

4. Re: Guardian: Royal Navy chooses Trainspotting style for TV

On the basis that the old and bold consistently refer to the short attention spans of my fellow young people, perhaps this quick, sharp shot advert is just the thing to attract the youth of today?

I think its a well made and well thought through ad.

5. Re: Guardian: Royal Navy chooses Trainspotting style for TV

So where was the clip of the BM half way through the middle on the gangplank in Pompey on Chrimbo eve freezing his tits off romft tf while the QM does "rounds"?? :D :D :D

6. Re: Guardian: Royal Navy chooses Trainspotting style for TV

Srtr cmmts pls. Us oldz nd 2 chng teena pads b2twn cam angles! :roll:

As the young thrusters seem to forget most of the pish stained old pharts on here could teach them a thing or two not only about the Military but life in general despite our bladder control problems!
    Know nothing SCC continual BRNC rejects excepted of course! :roll:

7. Re: Guardian: Royal Navy chooses Trainspotting style for TV

Please, I'm the first to admit that we need to get more POs and Chiefs involved in Officer training. Learn the tricks from the wise.

"BRNC rejects"... not quite sure what that dig is supposed to mean.

I think it is an advert that tries contrast the life of a 9-5 job, with a life in the Royal Navy, and it does it in a way that will appeal to the exact age group the Navy wants to target.

8. sgtpepperband

Before this turns into a "Old Navy v New Navy" rant-o-thread, perhaps somebody in RN Media Ops/RN recruiting can provide some information to support the belief that new advertising campaigns such as this actually have any effect or increase in the number of applicants joining up? This is in no way a pop at the advert in any way, but just a hypothetical enquiry.

9. sgt - nice edit, no-one even noticed ;)

10. sgtpepperband

What d'ya want? A feckin' medal..?!

11. Think it will appeal to the target audience, but, given the various threads on here about waiting times does MOD need to spend on ensuring the creative director secures his Audi R8?

12. It misses out one major aspect of Naval life:

You clean.

13. and then you clean again...

you get told "not good enough"

then you clean again...

14. Re: Guardian: Royal Navy chooses Trainspotting style for TV

Yes please!

15. Good point, it does seem a strange use of £1.5million considering what Ninja Stoker et al. tell us about the recent surge in interest and applications - I got the impression most roles were pretty full.

As far as the advert goes, I didn't like it, it felt like it was appealing to a very simple minded audience (good thing?).

The best forces recruitment advert I have seen in recent years is the TA one where it cut from civvy street to operations, I thought that was very well done.

Some of the older RM ones featuring the tunnels weren't bad either.

16. Re: Guardian: Royal Navy chooses Trainspotting style for TV

It quality!!!!

17. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

Oh, BLESS!

What a nightmare, having to square away your own shit, make sure your environment is tidy and healthy and sustain an element of order and discipline around ones self. I mean, mummy does all that stuff at home, doesn't she? No need to be self-reliant and self-sustaining ... what do you need those qualities for when you can whine constantly about feck all and get counselling for your sins, whilst your dear old mother flushes your shithouse, hoovers your carpet and makes your ****-chariot every morning?

We have all carped about cleaning and I'll let a couple into a real trade secret here. When you do your taskbooks, pass fleetboards, move up the ladder of life a little and prove to others you are more worthy of jobs than being Captain of the Flats and Shithouses, by jingum does making berks and twerps do the menial tasks seem like a good idea, or what? Not only is your shit squared away and your environment sweet smelling and squeaky-clean, you haven't had to lift a finger to do it.

Stop dripping, dry your eyes and suck it up. The amount of time you spend with your hands in a bucket is directly proportional to the speed your tasks get done in your taskbook.

Levers

18. Re: Guardian: Royal Navy chooses Trainspotting style for TV

The ad is neither good or bad ….it`s just a run of the mill advert promising to give a `life without limits `.…….yet as levers has just pointed out there ARE limits which a new recruit has to rise above to give himself a decent standard of living……

The concept of a free ticket to see the world, which the ad promotes, might have been a good ploy 30 years ago but today’s teenager has been brought up with cheap air travel and package holidays ….he knows the minimum wage will take him to Tenerife ect. where he can have a jolly without anyone shooting at him….
    As we all know ships …choppers …ribs …. are all VERY photogenic but the reality is long boring transit voyages with no overtime and this way of life has to be acceptable…..It seems to me this ad will attract a type of lad who will soon become disillusioned and quickly leave so wasting everyone’s time….on the other hand a young lad who understands the limitations of serving and working in a disciplined environment will fit in well and make a career for himself….
    `Life without limits`…perhaps that ad should read “We promise everything…and give nothing“….

…….

19. Re: Guardian: Royal Navy chooses Trainspotting style for TV

Balderdash, and Humbug,.......We'll have the Workhouse and Orphanage empty by Christmas. :roll: :wink: :)
    And Albert, see you in Tenerife :twisted: :D