"Guardian: "MoD: Trident Submarines Cannot Be Moved From Scotland To Plymouth"

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by soleil, Jan 5, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Send them them to Wales, who'd even notice if the local population started to mutate?
  2. Or Cumbria, where such mutants already exist..........
  3. Feck off, I joined up to get out of that sheep infested hell hole, you ain't sending me back!
  4. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

My money would be on Falmouth. But money on the Scotch rejecting separation in their referendum anyway.
  5. On a lighter side I never knew Devonport was in the centre of Plymouth

"A missile accident at Devonport, in the centre of Plymouth, could result in thousands of deaths.""In addition, a large proportion of the city would be abandoned for hundreds of years."

As for the last line, I take it Mr Ainslie hasn't researched Hiroshima or Nagasaki, or indeed, where Devonport is.
  6. It won't happen, all those jobs the jocks would loose, let alone what the ladies of Dumbarton would have to say about it. No chance, the Scottish parliament is just baring it's teeth but it will never bite.

7. Or the prevailing wind etc etc

However, the question 'Where will they go if.....'? Is moot, because IF they need to be moved there will be YEARS of public enquiries and appeals and all the other bollocks that goes with anything, but especially anything beginning with N and ending 'lear'.

When Faslane and Coulport were 'specially selected' as the location, it was a far, far different world. Then I'd assume the WD as was (War Department) told the local area of the great responsibility and all the jobs and opportunities that were coming and that was it!

Although I was very young, I don't remember any public enquiries, demonstrations or any 'anti base' stuff. I do remember a CND march once everything was up and running and of course the lovely people manning the camp that still exists.

So, if as the Gruniad says, the MOD are not planning for a move from Faslane, then they are either in denial or simple KNOW that there is only one location............
  8. It's politics. Planning for a move indicates the UK Government is preparing for a loss. This would be politically embarrassing, so they will only do anything, on any subject, after the vote has been held.
  9. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

On the other hand some visible planning to remove this considerable Scotch wage earner just MIGHT be noticed by the Scotch themselves, standfast those sleeping rou and anaesthetised under the Hielan' Mun's Umbrella. Mustn't let the Janners spoil that.
  10. Send them to Pompey no one could tell if there had been an accident or not
  11. They could consider the north east... Don't know how suitable that would be but I'm sure the local chavs wouldn't mind..
  12. Yup, and if one went bang, no one would notice
  13. Might not be very convenient for access to the Atlantic though.
  14. Neither is Faslane, every man and his dog can watch them come and go.

15. 15 Kelvin should vaporise all that dog shit.
  16. It's on the right side of the country though
  17. No its not - it's on the left.......

18. Depends which way your facing...