Guardian: "Libya: UN Security Council Backs No-Fly Zone And Air Strikes"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by soleil, Mar 17, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well it begs the question what are we doing it for anyway? The French have more interest than us and are club med. The yanks seem only lukewarm and we're overstretched and broke. Maybe the Lebanese airforce will be a big help. In any event it will all be over by the time the crabs get airborne. IMHO it would have made more sense to sit this one out and concentrate on the Gulf.

2. The UN Security Council fiddled whilst Libya burned
    well fecks me a decision has finally been made
    i wonder whether there will be anyone alive to protect from the 'mad dog' Gadaffi by the time they have got assets into the air/area

what a utterly useless set of feckers

3. [​IMG]

It's the Prime Minister; he asks if we can put it back together again.

:pissedoff:

4. The crabs are expected to start a no-fly zone on a friday? I assume that actually means it'll start at lunchtime on Monday....

5. Guy on TV the other day said that Libya had only 4 serviceable Mirages out of the last remaining 16 . Two had defected to Malta , and one had been shot down. Not sure about any other aircraft or Helicopters that are serviceable to fly???.... although two Libyan choppers had also defected to Malta

6. I would guess that the countries who were advocating this have already taken steps to position their units.

7. Seems to be a lot of Harrier ground running going on a Wittering this week? :) Noisy Crabs!!!!

8. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

You can almost taste the anticipation running through the air in Air Command HQ. "oh me Sir, me Sir!!", "Can we go and play with our new toys?", "SDSR was right Sir....see you need a strong Air Force".

The light blue chavs will be falling over themselves to prove that the RAF and only the RAF can save the day, the whole horse and pony show will be deployed you watch - R1s, Sentinel, E3, Typhoon and Tonka's

9. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

WD: And we all know what "pony..." is Cockerney rhyming slang for, don't we? :wink:

10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Surprised to see a u-turn by the French who were outwardly dead set against a no-fly zone until very recently. Possibly they sense an easy coup with regard air superiority over the remaining non-defected Libyan airframes & the chance of adding a "victory chapter" to their military history books. Unless they are too late.

Even the US appear to have learned the hard way with regard playing the "international copper", and yet the blissfully ignorant & belligerent UK government, having hacked & slashed our collective military capability, continue to rattle the remaining rusty sabre, hopefully using exported British-built aircraft & British-trained Middle-Eastern pilots. Genius.

11. Interesting take in the NY Times:
    Where is the nearest land base for launching gunships such as Apache AH-1s and permanent top cover for operations anywhere in Libya?

12. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Egypt perhaps?

13. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Hmm, he said helichopters not STC, who would prefer a sub-surface insertion via Sharm el Sheikh... :wink:

14. Fair enough but Egypt is stll over 1,100 km from Tripoli and rebel hot spots in western Libya. Perhaps bases are needed in Tunisia as well.

15. Where oh where is the EU's Middle East Envoy.....Our Tony
    Conveniently out of the picture and letting Hague take all the flack.
    Invading countries is Blairs speciality and I need to blame him for something, anything will do.

16. Cameron on his feet in the House at the moment and has announced deployment of Tornados and Typhoons.

Cameron and Sarkozy to meet in Paris tomorrow to confirm details.

PM being questioned on whether the UK has sufficient capacity post SDSR for such intervention.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  17. One again we see the duplicity of our government, if there were only camels and sand in Libya we would not be poking our noses in. Successive governments have been only too willing to commit our Armed Forces in order to gain kudos and attempt to make themselves look like the leaders of a major military power which we most certainly are not. To prove my point we have not intervened in other countries where the civilian population is being subjected to brutality by their oppressive regime. If the Arab League wishes to hold back Gadhafi’s forces let them get on with it on their own as between them they have much more capability than we do.

Politicians! :pukel: