Guardian: "How Do I Buy-to-let While Serving In The Royal Navy?

Discussion in 'Finance & Pensions' started by soleil, Oct 25, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Did they get permission to write that?

2. Why would they?

3. Perhaps he should do what the UK's MPs do:

MP A buys a property and rents the property to MP B. MP B buys a property and rents it to MP A. In actual fact, nobody is paying for anything but they are still claiming expenses for rented accommodation. And what does the Speaker of the House of Commons do? Mr. Berko forbids any new investigation into this MPs new expenses claims.

4. Who? The matelot or the Grauniad?

5. The matelot. I was under the impression that if you wanted to write to a newspaper, then you had to get permission to do so. Or has that changed? I know I'm a sprog, but having having had family serve since way back when, they've taught me that this has always been so.

6. Not sure. I wrote to the Plymouth Evening Herald three times whilst I was serving and all were published; once about Neil Warnock's dismissal from Argyle, once about some civvy lawyer kicking off about how Courts Martial should be held, and once in response to a matelot dripping that he didn't get discounts for showing his ID card. I didn't request to send any of them and other that some piss taking from my Civil Servant boss re the Courts Martial had no problems. Was always a rebel though...

The Times didn't publish the one I sent to them. Bastards.

I doubt it could be policed these days anyhow due to electronic media such as this.

Edit to add: I think there is good reason to rein in comments from serving personnel for security reasons but this chap has merely asked a financial question to financial 'experts' in a newspaper and think it would be churlish to deny him the opportunity to do so. My Court Martial comment was a tad cheeky bearing in mind my position in the food chain I suppose, but it was clearly a personal view, and a flogging would have been an over-reaction I think.

I'd have written to the papers if they'd done that.

Edit 2: Not Paul bloody Sturrock - Neil Warnock. Shouldn't have opened the second bottle.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  7. Were you in the dock??

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ha! No, I meant my position in the food chain in general - not at Court Martial. Just suggesting that as mere rating I was a little precocious in commenting on such matters. If that's what you meant tadders?

9. Tadders???

10. :sign12::sign12::sign12: Sorry, not all that good.

11. hackle

hackle Badgeman Moderator

You raise an interesting point, but

1. Why should permission need to be obtained for a letter which is not actually about work - even though it identifies the (anonymous) sender as a member of the RN? Does the relevant DIN really affect this unobjectionable letter on a non-work subject?

2. If permission is required, why assume that it was not obtained? I cannot imagine permission being denied for a letter on such a subject, which clearly deserves discussion.

12. if this is reference to tadders, I am genuinely still confused. 12 clips

13. =========================

=========================

Wah Shield Down

Frogman007 = Froggers = a Frog, IIRC originally a Tadpole = Tadders (as illustrated by Guzzlingtons spermatozoids, three.)

Wah Shield Up,

Bully Shield up, too :wink:

14. Thank you Bob - and you are indeed correct.

Sorry frogchap - a weak 'joke' I'll admit.

Make it where it doesn't show please.

• Like Like x 1
  15. DII is being crap, so I have to cut and paste:1. Why should permission need to be obtained for a letter which is not actually about work - even though it identifies the (anonymous) sender as a member of the RN? Does the relevant DIN really affect this unobjectionable letter on a non-work subject?Not really, I'm just surprised the Grauniad can actually be classed as a newspaper. I'm thoroughly schooled in the "classic" way of doing things, not necessarily right or without reason - I believe it was so the CO was aware of what was being written. Mind you, I don't believe permission was ever sought for writing to Tiswas*, but I think any chance of getting Sally to flaunt her legs wouldn't have been passed up by any CO at the time.2. If permission is required, why assume that it was not obtained? I cannot imagine permission being denied for a letter on such a subject, which clearly deserves discussion. True. Email is better than shifting backsides down to those friendly Independent Financial Advisors the Navy provides. At least, Nelson provides some, not quite sure about the rest. *Definitely could be wrong about that one.