Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Guardian: "HMS Ark Royal Could Be Turned Into Artificial Diving Reef"

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
This was on the local news last night. The bloke organising it said they'd cut at least 100 holes in the sides as escape routes which would have rope guidlines with reflective red triangles on to assist divers in difficulty to get out.

Seems like a good idea to me.

howfen_lad

War Hero
I know nothing of diving or marine wildlife and sustaining such things but the idea sounds cool and surely it would be nicer to have her in our waters than ripped up, totally scrapped or sold to elsewhere??

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
The boost to local economy from the diving community that the Scylla has created is the big selling point which is why the council is backing it.

Handler

War Hero
Has to be better than an oily Indian beach, I suppose, but have they really exhausted all the alternative uses that could be thought of ?

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Yep HMS Scylla at Whitsands Bay. Sceptics sunk the carrier USS Oriskany for the same reason.

I've dived on Scylla. Its weird finning around spaces that you used to walk around. A good dive site that will become better as time goes on

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Yep, sounds like a great idea - BUT. I am a diver, so, my 2p worth.

It will cost an absolute fortune to make it environmentally clean then safe for divers.

If the top of the 'structure' is 10m below the surface, then this means that the flight deck will be about 40m below the surface, which for the majority of divers 'is about it'. So all the best bits will be at a depth, though possible on air, but not advisable. Some loonies will however try.... So there will be fatalities. Also, those with more technical gear capable of diving safely in excess of say 50m and over (or under!) have a VERY expensive hobby and so will not be diving it regularly.

Six miles offshore is a bit of a flog for a boat full of divers. Also, it would place the wreck in the sea lanes, which even with adequate bouyage etc, will cause a problem.

Now, if they were o rip the island off and use it as one 'wreck' site, then sink the hull (with the roof showing!) then, from a diver's perspective, game on!

So, sadly, don't hold your breath - pun intended! It ain't going to happen. Razor blades it is.

Have to agree with you there SB. When I first started diving I had dreams of diving some of the famous wrecks and such like, problem is when you start to learn a little about the risks involved and the cost to do it properly it's quite horrific. I personally now have no desire to dive much beyond 30 meters so if it was sunk as a whole then I would certainly miss out.

She might be more useful as prison ship. SB sums up the practicalities of the divers' playground option quite well. Is the primary intention to create a a safe place for marine life to flourish, though?

trelawney126

War Hero
:DA bit of a radical idea, but as she is VSTOL and already afloat, pusser must have some spares, why don't MOD buy some harriers to put on it .....we have a carrier!:D

Artemis1

Midshipman
Why is everyone obsessed with sinking her? The ship is a national treasure and could be put to much better use. How many of our famous ships still survive? Virtually none because everyone wants to scrap them or sink them. The yanks have some amazing museum ships while we have Victory and Mary Rose and the odd other. Why sink it for a select few who have an expensive hobby, I'm sure thousands of people would happily pay £5-£10 for a wander around her.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Guardian article on the sinking of HMS Sheffield - for what it's worth History 2
soleil Guardian: "HMS Albion: 'I Don't Think We Do That Bad A Job' – Video" The Fleet 0
soleil Guardian: "Chinese Businessman Bids £5m For HMS Invincible" The Fleet 9
MoD_RSS National Data Guardian launches public consultation about the Caldicott Principles and Caldicott Guardians MoD News 0
soleil Guardian: "Man Accidentally Ejects Himself From Fighter Jet During Surprise Flight" The Fleet Air Arm 4
soleil Guardian: "Huge UK Naval Figureheads Rescued From Obscurity To Go On Display" History 14
MoD_RSS Nick Goodwin appointed as Public Guardian MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Response to Guardian story about language learning in schools MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Dame Fiona Caldicott appointed as the first statutory National Data Guardian for Health and Social Care MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Alan Eccles to retire as Public Guardian MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Alan Eccles to retire as Public Guardian MoD News 0
soleil Guardian: " MoD Faces £21bn Budget Shortfall, Warns Spending Watchdog" Current Affairs 2
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Secretary announces £80m Guardian to protect the skies MoD News 0
D Up the creek..The Guardian on the RNR Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 17
Good CO Women in Leadership - RN Lt (Guardian) The Quarterdeck 0
soleil Guardian: "Territorial Army Captain Resigns Over Afghanistan Book" MoD News 1
soleil Guardian: "Paint Detectives Uncover True Colours Of Nelson's Victorious Flagship" History 0
soleil Guardian: "Britain's Armed Forces: The Future Of War" Current Affairs 10
soleil Guardian: "Multicultural Britain Rejecting Foreign Conflict, MoD Admits" Current Affairs 80
soleil Guardian: "'Minister for Portsmouth' Role Created To Help City" Bases / Shore Est 11
soleil Guardian: "Ministry Of Defence Funding Research Into Online Habits" MoD News 0
soleil Guardian: Philip Hammond - "In Defence Of Drones" Current Affairs 13
soleil Guardian: "Armed Forces Make Over 300 Visits To UK Universities In Two Years" Current Affairs 15
sgtpepperband The Guardian: "Will Chimps Soon Have Human Rights?" Current Affairs 3
soleil "New Anti Piracy 'Guardian' Barrier Beats Royal Marines" The Corps 5
soleil Guardian: "Quay Concerns Delay Launch Of Navy Submarine" Submariners 0
soleil Guardian: "Giant First World War Gun On The Move Across Southern England This Week" History 2
trelawney126 Blow me, it's in the Guardian The Gash Barge 0
soleil Cornish Guardian: "Royal Navy To Re-Affirm Ship's Links With Padstow" The Fleet 3
soleil Guardian: "Royal Navy Sends Warship To Libya To Showcase Defence Equipment" Current Affairs 3
soleil Guardian: "Royal Navy Sea Kings Search-And-Rescue In Action - Video" The Fleet Air Arm 1
soleil Guardian: "Sea Survival And Bird Routes: The Varied Life Of A Naval Press Officer" Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 0
soleil Guardian: "Political Support For Afghan Campaign Has 'Departed Stage Left'" Current Affairs 11
soleil "Guardian: "MoD: Trident Submarines Cannot Be Moved From Scotland To Plymouth" Submariners 30
soleil Guardian: "We're Learning From Astute Submarine Flaws, Admiral Promises" Submariners 1
soleil Cornish Guardian: "Top Sport Award For 'Inspiration' Dale" Sports and Adventure Training 0
soleil Guardian: "Royal Navy Test Flies New Drone" The Fleet 24
soleil News Guardian: "Air Cadets Swap Skies For The Sea" Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 0
soleil Guardian: "Vince Cable Doubts Viability Of £150m BAE Shipbuilding Project" Bases / Shore Est 0
soleil Guardian: "Army Comes Top For Public Sector Gender Equality" Current Affairs 3
soleil Cornish Guardian: "New Commandant Returns To His Roots" Bases / Shore Est 0
soleil Guardian: "How Do I Buy-to-let While Serving In The Royal Navy? Finance & Pensions 15
soleil Guardian: "A Minority Report From The British Armed Services" Bases / Shore Est 0
soleil Guardian: "Commander: The Life And Exploits Of Britain's Greatest Frigate Commander" History 1
soleil Guardian: "Cuts Force Royal Navy To Drop Somalia Piracy Patrol" The Fleet 8
soleil Exercise Olympic Guardian Current Affairs 0
soleil Cornish Guardian: "Village Cordoned Off As Hand Grenade Found In Barn Roof" Bases / Shore Est 0
soleil Guardian: "Royal Navy Crew Help Douse Antarctic Research Station Fire" The Fleet 1
soleil Guardian: Sea Ceptor: "MoD Signs £500m Missile Defence Deal" The Fleet 6
soleil Guardian: "Big Job Losses Loom At Devonport Naval Base In Latest MoD Cuts" Bases / Shore Est 0