Guardian: "Economy Aircraft Carrier Could Save £1bn"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by soleil, Oct 6, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The Royal Budget Navy...

Didnt know I applied for that 8O
  2. Sometimes seems as though the defense budget is shouldering the majority of the saving cuts throughout the entire govt. Royal Budget Navy might be too generous trig
  3. On the plus side, the ridiculous idea of training all engineering trades of the 3 Services in one place, in Wales, may be cut. That can only be a good thing.
  4. Ehhh, wassat?

There's a slight possibility that I may end up going to wales to train with pongos and crabs ? 8O *shudders*

I agree with you angrydoc, please let it be true!
  5. Regarding former RAF Station St Barry;

I would like to see the detail of that on chart. The only visible overlap is in the teaching of basic theory. How many hands on lecterns does that need?
  6. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

Former colleagues worked on the stretched-out assessment phase of this, back a few years now. Aside from the diverse, non-marrying training management systems in all three services, the sum total of 'common' training across all three services amounted to 'not much, really'. It wasn't the two-dimensional aspect of training that was the issue (i.e. 'engineering') it was more the 'depth' of training. For example, a fully mature, fully qualified nuclear welder requires a larger training commitment than your average pongo out in the field stitching tank-plate steel together to get them home, and the crabs have no welding requirement at all to speak of. How do you 'align' that?

Whole project is a barrowload of expensive, PFI-massaging, corporate bollocks. And everyone knows it.