Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Guardian: "Britain's Armed Forces: The Future Of War"

Ageing_Gracefully

War Hero
Review Editor
Book Reviewer
This is one of the main problems that politicians have and can't understand about the military. next year, hopefully, the armed forces will be unemployed i.e. they will not be in a hot war. This means that politicians of all parties will start saying "Why are we paying for something we don't use?". The defence budget is then reduced (slashed) and politicians are then happy.

Some months later a war starts and the politicians are looking round for the troops they have sacked............

Continue ad infinitum.

I was shocked by a post on RR that made me realise that the size of the Andrew, as far as its complement of personnel is concerned, is less than half of the Navy I joined in the 60s.

DruAde

Lantern Swinger
I would like to think that if we are no longer supporting personel in Afganistan and all the cost that entails that there would be no further cuts especially to the RN. The RN would then become the most active and important service ( ok it already is) and investment into the personel and equipment a modern RN needs to protect our interests nationaly and internationaly would be reinvested into the Andrew. How about another 7 type 26's and a couple more type 45's.

Dream on yeah I know.

joyika

Midshipman
War will be created, good for money, good for votes

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Tomcat, I think you mean "don't worry, there's always the, hopefully, never to be fired SLBM's. Unless, of course, you are a time lord and know what the future holds for us all.

Tomcat, I think you mean "don't worry, there's always the, hopefully, never to be fired SLBM's. Unless, of course, you are a time lord and know what the future holds for us all.
Very similar to what came to mind when I read Tomcat's post. After all, a deterrent isn't a deterrent if it is never intended that the threat of retaliation be carried out if we are attacked.
Of course, it's a different argument as to whether the deterrent has failed if we are attacked.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Very similar to what came to mind when I read Tomcat's post. After all, a deterrent isn't a deterrent if it is never intended that the threat of retaliation be carried out if we are attacked.
Of course, it's a different argument as to whether the deterrent has failed if we are attacked.

That's the crux of the Trident argument. Is it a waste of money because it's never been used, or is it worth every penny because it's never had to be used.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil Guardian: "Multicultural Britain Rejecting Foreign Conflict, MoD Admits" Current Affairs 80
soleil Guardian: "Commander: The Life And Exploits Of Britain's Greatest Frigate Commander" History 1
MoD_RSS National Data Guardian launches public consultation about the Caldicott Principles and Caldicott Guardians MoD News 0
soleil Guardian: "Man Accidentally Ejects Himself From Fighter Jet During Surprise Flight" The Fleet Air Arm 4
soleil Guardian: "Huge UK Naval Figureheads Rescued From Obscurity To Go On Display" History 14
MoD_RSS Nick Goodwin appointed as Public Guardian MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Response to Guardian story about language learning in schools MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Dame Fiona Caldicott appointed as the first statutory National Data Guardian for Health and Social Care MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Alan Eccles to retire as Public Guardian MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Alan Eccles to retire as Public Guardian MoD News 0
soleil Guardian: " MoD Faces £21bn Budget Shortfall, Warns Spending Watchdog" Current Affairs 2
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Secretary announces £80m Guardian to protect the skies MoD News 0
P Guardian article on the sinking of HMS Sheffield - for what it's worth History 2
D Up the creek..The Guardian on the RNR Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 17
Good CO Women in Leadership - RN Lt (Guardian) The Quarterdeck 0
soleil Guardian: "Territorial Army Captain Resigns Over Afghanistan Book" MoD News 1
soleil Guardian: "Paint Detectives Uncover True Colours Of Nelson's Victorious Flagship" History 0
soleil Guardian: "'Minister for Portsmouth' Role Created To Help City" Bases / Shore Est 11
soleil Guardian: "Ministry Of Defence Funding Research Into Online Habits" MoD News 0
soleil Guardian: Philip Hammond - "In Defence Of Drones" Current Affairs 13
soleil Guardian: "Armed Forces Make Over 300 Visits To UK Universities In Two Years" Current Affairs 15
sgtpepperband The Guardian: "Will Chimps Soon Have Human Rights?" Current Affairs 3
soleil "New Anti Piracy 'Guardian' Barrier Beats Royal Marines" The Corps 5
soleil Guardian: "Quay Concerns Delay Launch Of Navy Submarine" Submariners 0
soleil Guardian: "Giant First World War Gun On The Move Across Southern England This Week" History 2
trelawney126 Blow me, it's in the Guardian The Gash Barge 0
soleil Cornish Guardian: "Royal Navy To Re-Affirm Ship's Links With Padstow" The Fleet 3
soleil Guardian: "Royal Navy Sends Warship To Libya To Showcase Defence Equipment" Current Affairs 3
soleil Guardian: "Royal Navy Sea Kings Search-And-Rescue In Action - Video" The Fleet Air Arm 1
soleil Guardian: "Sea Survival And Bird Routes: The Varied Life Of A Naval Press Officer" Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 0
soleil Guardian: "Political Support For Afghan Campaign Has 'Departed Stage Left'" Current Affairs 11
soleil "Guardian: "MoD: Trident Submarines Cannot Be Moved From Scotland To Plymouth" Submariners 30
soleil Guardian: "We're Learning From Astute Submarine Flaws, Admiral Promises" Submariners 1
soleil Cornish Guardian: "Top Sport Award For 'Inspiration' Dale" Sports and Adventure Training 0
soleil Guardian: "Royal Navy Test Flies New Drone" The Fleet 24
soleil News Guardian: "Air Cadets Swap Skies For The Sea" Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 0
soleil Guardian: "Vince Cable Doubts Viability Of £150m BAE Shipbuilding Project" Bases / Shore Est 0
soleil Guardian: "Army Comes Top For Public Sector Gender Equality" Current Affairs 3
soleil Cornish Guardian: "New Commandant Returns To His Roots" Bases / Shore Est 0
soleil Guardian: "How Do I Buy-to-let While Serving In The Royal Navy? Finance & Pensions 15
soleil Guardian: "A Minority Report From The British Armed Services" Bases / Shore Est 0
soleil Guardian: "Cuts Force Royal Navy To Drop Somalia Piracy Patrol" The Fleet 8
soleil Exercise Olympic Guardian Current Affairs 0
soleil Cornish Guardian: "Village Cordoned Off As Hand Grenade Found In Barn Roof" Bases / Shore Est 0
soleil Guardian: "Royal Navy Crew Help Douse Antarctic Research Station Fire" The Fleet 1
soleil Guardian: Sea Ceptor: "MoD Signs £500m Missile Defence Deal" The Fleet 6
soleil Guardian: "Big Job Losses Loom At Devonport Naval Base In Latest MoD Cuts" Bases / Shore Est 0
soleil Guardian: "US Diving Crew Finds Wreck Of British Submarine Used In Second World War" Submariners 0
soleil Guardian: "Thatcher Warned Of Defence Cuts Dangers Before Falklands War" History 0
soleil Guardian: "Ministry Of Defence Set To Cull Top Jobs, According To Leak" Current Affairs 17