Guardian article - French suggest UK/FR SSBN fleet

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Good_CO, Mar 19, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. (From a post on ARRSE - sorry if already posted)

Not seen this on here. The French have apparently proposed that the UK and France should share deterrent patrols, a proposal rejected by UK

Full article at

Not sure what I think about the idea, but it obviously isn't going to happen this year.

2. I would in theory support a much stronger naval relationship and possible sharing of assets or responsibilities with France but the nuclear deterrent would seem a rather ambitious place to start surely.

Are there not already extensive limitations set out by the Americans such as Commonwealth citizens not serving on submarines etc due to sensitive technology/information... how would the increased involvement of France impact the UK/US relationship?
  3. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Is the handover a kiss, cheek to cheek. Are we not already in business?
  4. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

It'll stop the old soap dodgers ramming each other, might make sense for short term money and political reasons but long term a bit of a no no really, more trouble than it's worth.
  5. This look like France trying to nudge us down a EU Defence Force route. Arguably, big risk for little true saving.
  6. France will do what is best for France. You've got to respect them for that.

All it will mean, is that France will take over from the US as our dominant "partner".
  7. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

As any enemy will be able to work out, half the time it will be a Frog finger on the button and that will ensure it won't be pushed to save the UK. Whoever heard of a part-time deterrent. This is just posturing unless it is a sign that the Frogs want to upgrade theirs but would like to offload the cost onto us. Mind you I can see Europhile Tories and the Limp Dems saying what a great idea it is.

Proof that God has a sense of humour is that He gave us the French (and the Irish) for next-door neighbours (and then after putting oil in the ground, parked the Arabs on top of it).
  8. Totally agree, we could do with a bit of realpolitik in our government at times. Sarkozy wouldn't have thought twice about telling Clinton to fcuk off if the Americans started asking questions about what the French are up to in Chad. Part of the inbalance in the 'Special Relationship' is that the Americans take us for granted as we've not told them to do one since Vietnam, and they expect us to eat sh!t and ask sir for more.
    As far as joint nuclear patrols I thought the entire point of Trident was to have an independent nuclear deterrent not one where we'd have to get an okay from Paris first.
  9. My first thought the minute I saw the thread title.

This one's a non starter I think.
  10. Now what do you think would have happened if it had been frog sub down south instead of our's in 82?
    Trust the French? You have to be kidding. Treacherous bastards

11. Ummm, I recall a baby Tiff, of I think Malysian extraction, let's call him Yellow Bruce, who's uncle was head of the Communist Party or some such 'back home'. Bruce came through the school late 80s I think and was promptly drafted to........ yep, you guessed it, Bombers!