Guard this Sunday

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by dunkers, Nov 7, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. All those in the Edinburgh guard this Sunday - prove! 8)

2. Nobody then..?

3. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Didn't you listen to that sage advice given freely when you were a new entry, you know the one that goes "Never volunteer for anything!" :)

(By the way, neither did I!)

4. Oh I try to avoid volunteering as much as possible :) but then I get pinged for something and can't get out of it...

I have never touched an SA80 in my life before, and have got one day's guard training on Saturday before the parade on Sunday. Oh what fun this will be! One day to learn rifle drill; can it be done? :lol:

5. Yup. How difficult can it be for goodness sake! GIs instruct it!

All the best, I am doing wreath laying this year, no guns for me!

6. You'll be OK Dunkers and you'll do the RNR proud! Just remember not to drink too much liquid immediately beforehand... :wink:

7. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

a volunteer is someone who didn't understand the question...

8. You all know my policy on volunteering. On the bright side those nice fellows in the British Legion normally look after those who take part in these occasions.

SF

9. well dunkers, if it's your first one, it won't be your last. You'll feel so proud and also humble when you see the old boys looking on, they always look so pleased to see a naval guard, and the PU afterwards will definitely sell future guards to you.
    Did my first one 21 years ago, and been hooked ever since. Can't do it anymore since promotion, and I am gutted. Sad i know, but thats me! :roll: :lol: :wink:

10. Well done, but the reason drill is so difficult is that GIs do the instruction.

Peter

11. PU?

12. The average RNR rating can pick up enough rifle drill to do the parade you are on in two Drill Nights, (Four Hours). Providing they are strong enough to handle the weapon and they have been instructed by above average RNR instructors. (Not a slight against the RN CT staff it's just that we know how to cut corners by doing the sort of things that would get their black gaiters to vanish in a puff of smoke.) Come to think of it, they dont wear them any more. 2002 November Sports must have been too much for them!

PS. If you are reading this Blood I last heard that you were RNR FTRS.

13. Piss up 8O :wink:

14. Ahhhhhhh I get you now ;)

15. Shouldn't be in the RNR if they're not "strong enough". IMHO if you do the drill properly and hold the weapon properly then the weight doesn't matter - but you might walk around with a locked left elbow for a few days!!

BJs tip for next year - get yourself a hip flask for a nip or two at the end. They fit lovely in a noz 1 tunic pocket!!

16. Sounds like I'd be OK then! :wink: :lol:

17. I was Standard Bearer this year for the local RBL, normally I lay the wreath and say the prayer. As Secretary I get lumbered.

18. The feeling of pride when marching at the head of the colum in full Nos 1's with weapons is something not to be missed. Compared to everyone else taking part we stand out a mile. I would strongly recommend that everyone should give it a go and I'm sure you will be back for more.