GSSR SPO Teams for weekend work

Could someone please explain why the RNR could not be used to free up ships SPO teams when along side in UK harbours over weekends?

I am sure there are many RNR that would be up for it and it could free up RN for leave or other duties.

Maybe I am missing something, your thoughts please.

Spearhead

From the rumours I have heard some units are having problems making up the teams and every time the powers that be try to get a team mobilised for a stint somewhere it's a scratch effort nationally. I think that we are destined to only be used on well advertised 2 week deployments for the time being to stop the RNR getting egg all over face for half a team pitching up for weekend work! Last I heard the Northern region hadn't named any teams yet... Don't know if that's a RFPO problem or the fact they can't get enough people together.

joesoap

Midshipman
Sometimes, as has happened in our unit last week, you are asked to reply to a deployment request with little or no notice i.e. same night it is read out. Some of us really work for a living and miss out on these trips. :sad:

sinbad

Lantern Swinger
Spearhead said:
Last I heard the Northern region hadn't named any teams yet... Don't know if that's a RFPO problem or the fact they can't get enough people together.
you obviously don't know much then. Northern Region supplied a team to the Dumbarton Castle (Brazil / Falklands) last August at short notice
no problem at all .... or didn't you hear !!

Spearhead

Hey, no animosity fella. Just stating fact. Naming teams is high on Commares' agenda and your RFPO hasn't done the admin yet... no reflection on the grass roots, point your gun in another direction we're all of one company. Blue on blue ain't good...

Furniss

Midshipman
I'd love to do it, living in plymouth i'm right at the dockyard pretty much, and would love to do spo duties at weekends or something like that, good experience for later service life and a good earner as i'm still in school, but as with many people, we wouldn't be allowed to do it as "oh sorry you've gone over your training days"

trehorn2

Lantern Swinger
As small unit we can muster the 6 people required for 1/2 a team. we dont have the manager/senior rate as yet. We do have an ex-RN PO who's booked in for his SPO managers course soon so after that we'll hopefully be ready to rock 'n' roll.

We were asked to volunteer for a couple of weeks in May babysitting a ship but news on that apears to have gone quiet.

We have asked if a ship comes into a nearby port that we be despatched to help out, just for experience if nothing else. We'd surely be doing the RN a favour if a few more of their lads can get extra leave.

sinbad

Lantern Swinger
Spearhead said:
Hey, no animosity fella. Just stating fact. Naming teams is high on Commares' agenda and your RFPO hasn't done the admin yet... no reflection on the grass roots, point your gun in another direction we're all of one company. Blue on blue ain't good...
fact was i was part of the team

Seadog

War Hero
Could someone please explain why the RNR could not be used to free up ships SPO teams when along side in UK harbours over weekends?
Just a thought, may be bollox. A team should know their way around the ship, not just gangway, messdeck, heads/bathrooms. It'd be time to go home by the time a new team was familiarised with their charge.

Another thing, regular ships' teams need the practice too. Do I detect a bit of willy waving warryness

hopefully be ready to rock 'n' roll
Leave your ipods behind when you are on duty, all of you. :evil:

Andy_Pandy

Midshipman
trehorn2 said:
As small unit we can muster the 6 people required for 1/2 a team. we dont have the manager/senior rate as yet. We do have an ex-RN PO who's booked in for his SPO managers course soon so after that we'll hopefully be ready to rock 'n' roll.

We were asked to volunteer for a couple of weeks in May babysitting a ship but news on that apears to have gone quiet.

We have asked if a ship comes into a nearby port that we be despatched to help out, just for experience if nothing else. We'd surely be doing the RN a favour if a few more of their lads can get extra leave.
Last time I looked you were part of a force protection team within a bigger unit.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L GSSR SPO RNR What do you reckon? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 3
GSSR_Vvd Seaman spec, GSSR or should i now say AWFP????? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 45
diver_dan GSSR Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 14
S Allocation of GSSR deployments. Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 9
R GSSR? Weekends? Basic Training? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 1
H Logs vs GSSR Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 8
L GSSR - Questions Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 27
W GSSR - operational at last??? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 6
SpliceTheMainbrace GSSR courses MERWEX Alpha Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 5
W GSSR "The Way Ahead" Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 8
trehorn CALLING ALL GSSR'S/SEAMEN/MW ETC ETC ETC Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 0
Vesper Seamanship & Comms to be taken out of GSSR? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 15
S What's in a name ? GSSR Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 4
harry_threaders GSSR Branch Badge Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 78
Toast Need SPO course help. Faslane Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
F 547 SPO Course (Pompey) What to wear? The Fleet 21
bikerman RNR spo teams Diamond Lil's 3
L Very Tough Call for SPO Ninjas Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 14
MoD_RSS New personal protective equipment (PPE) guidance for NHS teams MoD News 0
MoD_RSS One of the oldest Search and Rescue teams in the UK among winners of vital £1 million funding boost MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Environment Agency teams help flooded communities recover MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Rescue shield awarded to Shetland-based coastguard teams MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Action cameras help teams to inspect hard-to-reach structures MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK teams complete space weather mission study ahead of selection decision in November MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New tech teams to protect dolphins and create next generation of super strong aluminium MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: NHSX: digital experts will be part of cancer and mental health teams MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: HS2 confirms London Euston and Old Oak Common construction teams MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Nomination for Coastguard Rescue Teams who saved a life on St Kilda MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Three shipbuilding teams shortlisted to build new warships in UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: New search teams to disrupt and deter violence in prisons MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Dstl wins against commercial teams in Institution of Engineering and Technology Awards MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: HS2 kicks off hunt for Birmingham Curzon Street construction teams MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Ministry of Defence teams up with innovative start-up to train next generation of cyber veterans MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Australian Air Force officer teams up with RAF to train Aerospace experts MoD News 0
2 URNU and royal navy sports teams SCC and URNU 7
BARNEYRNSM Hull, operations and shift teams leaders jobs The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 1
MoD_RSS Statement to Parliament: Gifting of search and rescue equipment to Syrian civil defence teams MoD News 0
shellbackmac All three 'Dockyard' teams in the sh*te......... Sports and Adventure Training 3
MoD_RSS Royal Navy teams help prevent tug sinking MoD News 4
MoD_RSS Military stabilisation teams benefiting Afghan lives Current Affairs 0
MoD_RSS Navy and RAF Search and Rescue teams in action Current Affairs 0
MoD_RSS Female teams help win confidence of Afghan women Current Affairs 10
S Sky 1 series is looking for mechanically minded teams! Competitions 0
Rolotp Sports Teams Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
M boarding teams Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
S Royal Navy Rugby teams in the 1930s History 3
I Army to Replace RNR Force protection Teams Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 13
H New Small Arms For The Teams?................ Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 49
slim Armed Police response Teams Diamond Lil's 30