GSSR courses MERWEX Alpha

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by SpliceTheMainbrace, Jul 8, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello Shippers
    Can anybody tell me about this course? eg uniform required and what it's about???
  2. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Your Comms PSI will have the standard Merwex opord, however, in a nutshell: rig NO4, accom for JR usually in Vivian block single cabins, turn to Sat am ca 0845 ish, work through to 1630, similar start on Sunday (with baggy head following run ashore at Prague Junction / Emmas!) however finish at 1130, return to units after scran.

What's the GSSR Module about? Basic voice radio procedure and simple flag ceremonial (colours, sunset / evening colours, half-masting) from the last time I instructed a few Merwexes ago.

3. Thank you very much Flag Wagger!! Sounds more like a jolly than a course! lol :D
  4. I assisted on a Duffy Trophy weekend some years ago when I was Chief of the comms equipment section. Its a pretty relaxed affair and had some laughs with the RNR peeps. Not quite the same as a Merwex weekend, but still a giggle all the same.

They had a disco and presentation evening on the Saturday which was okay.

Watch yourself in Prague Junction and Emma's disco as both joints are a bit fractious at times and normally a good bet for a bit of trouble near closing time.
  5. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Ssssh, if you speak too loud the powers that be will find out that people are actually enjoying themselves during training! :)

Technically a Merwex is not a courses, its just a module of Task Book training taught at the lead school rather than in unit - belay that.... you're GSSR aren't you? One day, you might be lucky enough to have a Task Book; this is a useful piece of documentation that identifies all the tasks that you need to be able to perform to carry out your job to the performance statement agreed between COMMARES and the Functional Employer.... oh bugger, you're GSSR aren't you? Well one day when the powers that be make up their minds what they want from the RNR you might get a Task Book!
  6. I have got a list of courses that I need to go on in order to become trained strength. It takes 18 months if you are really serious about getting everything done if not less than that. Looking to complete everything by the end of next year. I hope.