Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

GSSR Branch Badge

Pusser did the same in the 70's, with the demise of the Gunnery branch when Gunners were re named Misslemen? Being an ex "killick" FC1 who took great pleasure in wearing my FC1's badges until discharge in 77. So carry on wearing the badges you were issued with.

Yours aye

WHO'LL VOLUNTEER TO START THE CAMPAIGN TO CHANGE THE GSSR BRANCH BADGE?

SINCER WE ARE NOW SEA SECURITY GUARDS WHY NO HAVE THE GROUP 4 LOGO?

Tribal_Warrior said:
Pusser did the same in the 70's, with the demise of the Gunnery branch when Gunners were re named Misslemen? Being an ex "killick" FC1 who took great pleasure in wearing my FC1's badges until discharge in 77. So carry on wearing the badges you were issued with.

I do, however the powers that be keep advising me that the Tactical Comms branch no longer exists and I should be no longer wearing my flags (despite my CY course being my last professional qual). I would be really bgrateful if someone could provide a definitive reference as to what a ratings badge denotes, either current branch or last professional qual.

As a new CIS person, should I perhaps be wearing a Computer defaced with crossed Cat 5 network cables?

FlagWagger said:
Tribal_Warrior said:

I do, however the powers that be keep advising me that the Tactical Comms branch no longer exists and I should be no longer wearing my flags (despite my CY course being my last professional qual). I would be really bgrateful if someone could provide a definitive reference as to what a ratings badge denotes, either current branch or last professional qual.

As a new CIS person, should I perhaps be wearing a Computer defaced with crossed Cat 5 network cables?

To all you GSSR Rates - why do you care what your badge looks like - you can't sew it on your CS95s?

To FlagWagger - When the Tactical Comms sub-branch was scrapped and you became a Comms(D) or Comms(S), you could keep your badges as you didn't request to re-badge. If you are now CIS then you technically requested to change branch so your Crossed Flags are no good any more. You're gonna have to wear the "Flying Ball of Sh*te Struck by Lightning". After all, you wouldn't expect to wear Crossed Flags if you re-badged to a Clanky or would you?

To Aldis - In case you weren't aware CS95's are Not GSSR rig. If the rig of the days is No4's, No3's, No1's etc then thats what we wear. CS95's are only to be worn during ships protection duties/training.

I refuse to be drawn by your cheap attempt at getting a bite...!!!

However..!!

Had loads of badges when I left the scouts..couldnt transfer them though did ask...the home help badge was was a real bitch to get...if I had to do that amount of housework again I think id have some sort of episode...!!!

Lingyai said:
Just out of interest, in the rnr do you get badges for sewing and building fires ?
why, do you get them in the RN? or is it as in your case badges for gobbing off, being factually incorrect and basically as someone has already alluded to, being a twat....

mazza_magoo said:
Lingyai said:
Just out of interest, in the rnr do you get badges for sewing and building fires ?
why, do you get them in the RN? or is it as in your case badges for gobbing off, being factually incorrect and basically as someone has already alluded to, being a twat....

I sense Lingyai might be getting his Oxygen Thief banner back a bit sooner than he thought.... :lol:

slightly off thread! The MOB (marine ops branch) badge is a disgrace. I'm proud of what we can and do do for the RN, the majority of the regulars I've spoken to are amazed at the effort and time that we put in to be a (successful) member of the Team. An identifiable branch/spec badge would go a long way to raising morale, I think, and allow the regulars to identify what we can do for them

I lost my good old seaman badge when my noz ones were exchanged. It was that old and tatty anyway, having been on about 3 other peoples uniforms - they always have been an arse to get! So at the mo, in ones I'm in the midnight watch. Plus I understand the new boat in spiderweb badge doesn't come in the one star / 2 star variety yet anyway. :roll: A loggy will correct me on that I guess.

Think I'll stick with the old badge on my 4's and leave it at that.

Jesse's right though, these new badges bear absolutely no relation to what our branches are. Original dit was that the GSSR badge was going to be the old combined ops badge (I think that's what it was called - had a rifle and an anchor on it - much more appropriate eh!)

jesse650 said:
I'm proud of what we can and do do for the RN, the majority of the regulars I've spoken to are amazed at the effort and time that we put in to be a (successful) member of the Team. An identifiable branch/spec badge would go a long way to raising morale, I think, and allow the regulars to identify what we can do for them

Agree with your sentiments here jesse, and comments like the one that lingyai put on here (removed by him? or the mods i wonder) about firelighting and tent erecting badges dont help much. I don't think its too much to ask for the powers that be to provide us with a suitable branch badge, that will enable us to be identifiable from the rest of the RNR/RN. So back to my original question, does anyone have the latest on what our (GSSR) branch badge is or is likely to be?

Latest Threads