GSM clasp Northern Ireland to HMS Oppossum..........

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by themonkeyg0d, Aug 24, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I`ve been told that.........

"The submarines HMS Oppossum also served off Northern Ireland and I believe is the only submarine to qualify for the GSM 1962 bar Northern Ireland"

Is this true?

2. Not from 75 to 80,my brother was outside killick on it then and did not get NI medal

3. Only if she was in the area for 30 days (min) between 8/69 to 7/2007.

4. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

And under OPCON of GOC(NI) delegated to SNONI. Time in NI waters didn't count, it was being on Op BANNER for the continuos 30 days.

5. It wasn't continuous days Guns it was accumulated 30 days. :)
    There has been stacks of controversy over this medal entitlement as the IRA publicly announced they were bringing the fight out of NI and into mainland Britain. When you think of the attacks on Barracks in UK, Germany and then the Railway shootings just up the road from where I live.
    Then read what the criteria for the medal states, it really was a sham.
    Cooks in Barracks in Moscow camp never seeing a terrorist, and blokes getting killed in UK. There was a strong lobby at the time for the bar to read United Kingdom.
    Ah well its done now, they sent my bar about 16 years after I came out, it still ain't on the medal. 8O

Back on thread there were submariners in Belfast when I was there, there were a couple of writers, and a few SBA's.

6. I think the clue is here!!!!!!!