GSM after your name

Discussion in 'UPO' started by drewfester, Mar 23, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. With today there being awards of medals to servicemen and woman that allow the GC to be put after their name, does anyone know if GSM can be put after your name if you have been awarded it? The GSM has been replaced by the OSM now and to be honet I am proud to have the GSM as it is 1 of the 5 medals I have that I honestly feel I earned.
    Know there is a thread about the Walt who wants the jubilee medal despite no longer serving.
    I leave (time done) soon and just wonder if it can be used. Anyone know???

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  2. Only if you're a Walt!

3. The GSM is neither an honour nor a decoration so frayed knot.

(But you knew that really, didn't you? :))

4. Absolutely! On all my correspondence I use the suffix LS&GC, as in: Mr A SONAR -BENDER Esq, LS&GC, CPOWEA(ADC)(SM) (Ret'd) Hope this helps.

5. How's about BTA ( bin to America) and for the real Walt ABA ( and back again! )

6. At the end of the day who gives a shite, you put whatever you like after your name once you have left the service.

• Like Like x 1
  7. And so states Rt Hon Finknottle. BTA. ABA. GSM. :blob6:

8. I'm sure Wits will be along to comment shortly...........

9. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I have BSc* after my name! :cool:

* - Bronze Swimming Certificate

• Like Like x 2
  10. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Of course, we all know many occifers who have an OBE (aka "Other Bastard's Efforts) :twisted:

11. Aye I am sure he will be along soon enough, unless he is busy getting to grips with his new toy.

12. It sounds as though you speak from bitter experience SPB.

13. Hey I was only asking!!! With Walt wanting a Jubilee medal I thought I might be in and be able to be Mr Drewfester GSM GS&GC NATO Kosovo Medal Golden Jubilee & Diamond Jubilee Hard Bastard!!! (and all round good egg)
    Was I wrong????????

14. Blackcat mode on

I could put LS&GC and Clasp, OSM, GJM after mine then

Blackcat mode off

15. Soz misread it....thought BSc stood for Bucket,Scrubber and cloth.

16. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

No one claiming the VD & Scar then?

17. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Tell me about it! A former CO actually phoned me to tell me he was in a taxi on his way to the Palace to collect his and he wanted to thank me for all I'd done.........

"That's very kind of you Sir, it sounds like you have a poor signal brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr"

• Like Like x 1
  18. At the risk of sounding a pedantic barsteward, it should actually be:

A SONAR-BENDER Esq.

Esquire is reseved solely for us stiff upper lipped British chaps whilst the Mister is reserved exclusively for those of the Johnny Foreigner ilk.

Why this is, I have no scooby, but it's a regular fixture in etiquette books. I'll get my smoking jacket....

19. I always liked the story about the CO who cleared lower deck after being appointed an OBE and told his ship's company, "This honour really belongs to all of you."

"In that case, Sir..." piped up a Junior Stoker at the back "...can I borrow it next weekend? My sister's getting married."