GS or Boats. Newbie question from an older guy

JoRaOlJa

Thank you for your insights.
I think I have a lot to think about. On a different note I was looking at RN website this morning re reading job roles etc... WS says up to 32k as you progress and only shows promotion up to LH and day one is at sea where as WS tactical or sonar says up to 48k, day one at Raleigh promotion up to P.O. can anyone explain this please?

Has anyone got any ideas on this or is the website just confusing me? Also does anyone have any ROUGH timescales for promotion in warfare branch just so I have a ball park idea where to aim for and what to expect.

Merman

Badgeman
DO NOT BELIEVE THE JOIN BOMBERS AND PLAN YOUR LIFE THING.

Its complete arse. As it stands A boats never leave the wall as they're always broken.

As far as bombers go you should know when you go and return but it always changes and ends up messing up the plans you made. You can't plan anything.

I spent just a year on a ship and loved it. I saw the world in the 12 months i was on it. I Then was vokuntold I was going on subs. Kicked off at first but now I'm on I wouldnt change it. The money is certainly a contributing factor but for me as an engineer having the nuclear tickets is a massive appeal.

I know on a sub once at sea you just do your watches and then that's it. No Turning to during the day. (general work).

The only real jollies you will get are Canada USA and maybe France on a bomber.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Merman

Badgeman
I think warfare is a pretty tough one to advance through the ranks in? There are no fast track schemes as far as I'm aware.

JoRaOlJa

Thanks Merman. I think I am leaning towards ships first (but still not sure) purely for the 2 way comms because it's going to be a big change for the kids I want to ease them in as much as possible and 3 to 6 months with no contact from me is going to make it even harder. Shame about warfare not having fast track. How long on average does it take to get to say PO on Ships compared to boats?

Merman

Badgeman
I think ships before subs is certainly the best way to go. If you go ships first then you will more than likely be allowed to switch. If you go subs first I doubt they would let you go ships afterwards.

Last edited:

JoRaOlJa

Thanks for the insights and advice.
Can anyone advise on the promotional differences (quickness and highest levels you can achive) between ships and boats as a WS?

Latest Threads