Grunters

Me again,
Let me tell a tale of Naval Officers, sometimes known as grunters to the lower deck. Firstly, let me say that the vast majority I came across in 28 years were knowledgeable, good at their jobs and real gentlemen.However, there was one who got right up my(And the ship's companies snot-box! )His name was Alex P------y, he had a brother in the Andrew who was a CCY, so maybe you may or may not work out to whom I refer. Any, I digress. I was the Joss on Plymouth during the world deployment(Banyan would be a better description) in '75-'76 and we were in Sydney, Australia.Our PWO(U) was an Aussie on exchange(Great bloke) and he left us there, whereupon a new one joined, this Alex P. We duly sailed from Sydney and our next port of call was Vanauatu in the New Hebrides. On arrival there, it was redders, and, when specials were fallen out, the stokers came up fro below for a breath of freshers. I had fallen out from the wheelhouse and was standing on the fight-deck when this Alex cretin said,"Master-at-Arms, what are THOSE? why are they out of the rig of the day?"I pointed out that THOSE were to poor sweaty bastards who actually got us there and that rig was normal working rig when specials were fallen out. He wasn't best pleased at that but let it go. A few weeks later, we got into Pompey to de-ammunition prior to heading for Chatham. I told the killick reg to hop ashore to the mail office and get the ships mail(As directed by the CO who was anxiously awaiting mail for the purchase on his house) Killick Reg came back a few minutes later and said that Alex P had ordered him to get the wardroom papers first. I farking blew a gasket and stormed up to the flight deck to sort it out! Alex P wanted me to charge the LReg for wilful disobedience!I strongly pointed out to him the the CO wanted the mail on board first and, if he disagreed, we should go up to his cabin and sort it out. Later that evening, I got summoned to Alex's cabin.He told me that he would ensure he took my rate off me before he left the ship. I asked him if this was 'Man to man stuff
or officer to rating.He said, It's man to man stuff. I then told him he would have to get up really in the morning to catch me out and that, in his particular case, he's have to stay up all farking night!
Later, back in Chats, my Oppo, the POWTR (Who's house I bought) came to see me. He said he knew I was after Alex P and had a signed C28 travel xepense claim from Chatham to Portland, but that he knew for sure Alex had travelled with the PWO(A) who's C28 he also had. I shot off to see the Jimmy with the forms in my hand.Short story is, Alex P got the flick next day, never to be seen again and the TAS dept settled down to being the experts they were

Dusty70

Lantern Swinger
I was on that trip and I remember you - a decent joss - was the Killick Reg nicknamed Raj ? - he was Fijian or something, we were in the same mess, another good bloke

And I agree with you regarding the above - the only blot on a good ship's company and a marvellous world trip (apart from the blizzard as we came alongside at procedure alpha at Pompey !!)

When we got to Chatham the whole SA dept was transferred to Rothsay

ratsroden

Lantern Swinger
Me again,
Let me tell a tale of Naval Officers, sometimes known as grunters to the lower deck. Firstly, let me say that the vast majority I came across in 28 years were knowledgeable, good at their jobs and real gentlemen.However, there was one who got right up my(And the ship's companies snot-box! )His name was Alex P------y, he had a brother in the Andrew who was a CCY, so maybe you may or may not work out to whom I refer. Any, I digress. I was the Joss on Plymouth during the world deployment(Banyan would be a better description) in '75-'76 and we were in Sydney, Australia.Our PWO(U) was an Aussie on exchange(Great bloke) and he left us there, whereupon a new one joined, this Alex P. We duly sailed from Sydney and our next port of call was Vanauatu in the New Hebrides. On arrival there, it was redders, and, when specials were fallen out, the stokers came up fro below for a breath of freshers. I had fallen out from the wheelhouse and was standing on the fight-deck when this Alex cretin said,"Master-at-Arms, what are THOSE? why are they out of the rig of the day?"I pointed out that THOSE were to poor sweaty bastards who actually got us there and that rig was normal working rig when specials were fallen out. He wasn't best pleased at that but let it go. A few weeks later, we got into Pompey to de-ammunition prior to heading for Chatham. I told the killick reg to hop ashore to the mail office and get the ships mail(As directed by the CO who was anxiously awaiting mail for the purchase on his house) Killick Reg came back a few minutes later and said that Alex P had ordered him to get the wardroom papers first. I farking blew a gasket and stormed up to the flight deck to sort it out! Alex P wanted me to charge the LReg for wilful disobedience!I strongly pointed out to him the the CO wanted the mail on board first and, if he disagreed, we should go up to his cabin and sort it out. Later that evening, I got summoned to Alex's cabin.He told me that he would ensure he took my rate off me before he left the ship. I asked him if this was 'Man to man stuff
or officer to rating.He said, It's man to man stuff. I then told him he would have to get up really in the morning to catch me out and that, in his particular case, he's have to stay up all farking night!
Later, back in Chats, my Oppo, the POWTR (Who's house I bought) came to see me. He said he knew I was after Alex P and had a signed C28 travel xepense claim from Chatham to Portland, but that he knew for sure Alex had travelled with the PWO(A) who's C28 he also had. I shot off to see the Jimmy with the forms in my hand.Short story is, Alex P got the flick next day, never to be seen again and the TAS dept settled down to being the experts they were
I think the Aussie you liked was john( William) Hewett ( or Hewitt perhaps)
He joined the RAN in 1960 as an Artificer Apprentice-- commissioned in 1963.
He was the last Skipper of HMAS Vampire in 1986 and after several shore jobs retired in 1998 as a Captain. He'd also served on HMS Brighton during his time with the RN as a Subbie.

G'day Rats,
That's right, it was Lt Cdr Hewett, a thoroughly nice bloke and very competent.His relief(Alex) was detested by the whole ships company, particularly the TAS department.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
KillickStoker Diamond Lil's 53