Grounded nuclear sub HMS Astute damaged during rescue

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by NelliesWellies12, Nov 4, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This is old news - do not stop in front of an SSN which has no brakes :D
  2. er no, the fact that she ran aground isn't new news however that she was damaged by one of the tugs whilst being rescued is new news, its one of the lead items on bbc radio news today and look at the date the article was published.
  3. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

4. Wow, that daily record article is very balanced isn't it ;)

My understanding, contrary to the SNP's view, is that the submarine could have freed itself, but waited for one of the "axed tugs" to come and rescue it in order to minimise damage it would have experienced?

Big Fail on that one then...
  5. The impact ripped off Astute's starboard foreplane, one of her navigation fins.

No exaggeration there then :roll:

All the time I was a wrecker maintaining steering and hydroplanes and it turns out the foreplanes were for navigation 8O

That's a WE piece of kit then, barstewards kept that quiet :twisted: :twisted:
  6. Believe me - where I work the tug damage is most definitely old news. The fact that it's new news on the BBC means diddly squat.
  7. well I posted it for those of us not in the secret squirell club in faslane, its interesting as a further development of the story
  8. Janner,

Seeing a comment on that article (a V.poor 'D-', btw) " wouldn't happen in the Thames...." brought this incident to mind:

<< On 13 June, 1984, as HMS JUPITER was leaving the Pool of London after a visit to the capital, she collided with London Bridge causing significant damage to both ship and bridge. The ship's Captain, Commander Colin Hamilton, was later court martialed in Portsmouth on December 4th, 1984. >>

Major news story, and witnessed by thousands, but the surface Navy seem to have conveniently forgotten all about it. :wink:

A quick google failed to locate a photograph but the Red Tops had a field day IIRC......

Just an aside.

9. Skimmers seem to forget the Nottingham running aground on a the well charted rock and being brought home by civvies
  10. :idea: There should be a Club, the venue's here already:

11. Personally, I think that is a good effort at parking in a pretty tight spot!
  12. [​IMG]

13. Nothing a few taps with a hammer and a lick of paint couldnt fix then :p
  14. Now we have a double balls up, one wonders if Astute is jinked.

"A Navy spokesman said the damage to Astute would be repaired at its Faslane base and the vessel's trials would resume in due course."

If this be so surely the damage is not major, otherwise Astute would have to
    go into drydock in Guzz or elsewhere for major repairs. Those with knowledge of repair facilities at Faslane could explain better.
  15. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Written like a journalist. Explaining the nuclear submarine repair capabilities of one facility over another may be sailing close to the wind. The Astute threads have avoided that so far, let's keep it that way.

Trivia corner; one of the MCA emergency tugs (not this one) went aground in 2005. A lot of damage and she was OOA for some time. IIRC, the skipper was shitfaced.
  16. Spoken like someone who hasn't really got a clue. What makes you think that what you have written is in any way correct?
  17. No not a journalist just an old diesel boat veteran. When I was last at Faslane on a visit with the SA we were informed the facilities at Faslane was not capable of doing major repairs to submarines. All the boats did their major repairs and refits at Guzz. The lift and shed at Faslane was only used for planned maintentance and minor repairs. That was five years ago maybe things have changed since then.