Grenfell Tower

Having had many other buildings with cladding tested it seems that this fire was a disaster waiting to happen.
It could have occured in any of these buildings.
Grenfell was unlucky.
I wonder what the reaction to the disaster would have been if it had happened in a poorer Labour controlled area?

In a disaster like this which political party is in control is irrelevant, this is just a build up of years of penny pinching and going for the cheapest option, when health and safety is compromised against cost, eventually the accident waiting to happen will happen.

In a disaster like this which political party is in control is irrelevant, this is just a build up of years of penny pinching and going for the cheapest option, when health and safety is compromised against cost, eventually the accident waiting to happen will happen.
Agree 100% Sumo
This accident could have occurred in any one (or more) of those buildings that have had the cladding applied.
It would seem that Government legislation (ALL colours) has not been sufficiently strong to combat this.
I also believe that housing associations and councils have been misled by their advisors in many cases and in some ases the higher specification panels have been substituted for low spec panels by the suppliers.
It will all come out in the open but this will take some time.
Unfortunately Grenfell residents seem to want instant retribution.

For those directly affected it is understand able they want action and answers now, but unfortunately as they're is no stand a loan person or group to point the finger at it will take time.
The investigation will have to look at all complaints and concerned raised over the years and why nothing was done, if the authorities paid for high grade materials and contractors chose to take an higher profit margin, these areas will also have to be investigated. The council/ local politician s are probably trying their best in a situation they had never planned for, lack of firefighters equipment for high building will also be a factor. The reality is the short term is trying to re home and long term which could take years, may be someone or a group of people may be to blame.
This cost cutting for high profit happens every day, those doing or have a perception they have to cut cost to be competitive, just hope they haven't got it wrong, because H&S issue can chase you even if you move on, that is why at work they will never ask me to sign off on safety unless they can prove to me it meets or exceeds all safety requirements. I have failed 2 projects in the last month for giving me vague and weak requirement evidence.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S The Gash Barge 4
brazenhussy Diamond Lil's 10
Shakey Current Affairs 33