Grenfell Tower

fishhead

War Hero
It is hard to come up with a meaningful comment on this appalling event. There are thousands of unanswered question as to how and why. My gut feeling as there are some people are trying to work out how they can slide the blame when the inevitable Inquiry seeks to find out some answers.
My heart goes out to all those who have lost relations to the flames and those who have lost everything but their lives.

Sumo

War Hero
From what's been reported, and we all trust our press! There may be many heads heading for the block.

When we have a new class of vessel built, we try to look at through life support, looks like the FB were not consulted on how they would fight a disaster, like this? Making them look better did not necessarily make them safe, town planners, builder, owners will be panicking, especially when many residence have raised issues of safety in the buildings . as @fishhead nothing constructive we can say.

repoman

War Hero
Aside from the deceased and the grieving relatives, I feel for the Firies and other emergency service workers who have to put their lives on the line during this horrific incident. It is going to leave a lot of psychological scars for everyone involved.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
I didn't envy the fire crews having to climb up 24 floors in BA, fighting the fires and carrying out body searches.

Shades of Towering Inferno there.

Until a Coroner's beak gets into this, there's lots of assuming, guessing and accusing but very little knowing. The chances are, there isn't just one major weakness that caused the catastrophe. More likely there were several minor ones that all coincided; the Swiss cheese principle where all the holes line up at the same time. Only when the investigation can be completed will all the contributory factors be known. One thing this has revealed is how rich this Country is in fire safety experts.

Until a Coroner's beak gets into this, there's lots of assuming, guessing and accusing but very little knowing. The chances are, there isn't just one major weakness that caused the catastrophe. More likely there were several minor ones that all coincided; the Swiss cheese principle where all the holes line up at the same time. Only when the investigation can be completed will all the contributory factors be known. One thing this has revealed is how rich this Country is in fire safety experts.

Sadly the Coroner will be no wiser. It will never be known the number of illegal tenants there were. Notwithstanding their Tenancy Agreements many of the flats in the building were flats of multiple occupation. The absolute number of dead will be lost on us forever.

Latest Threads