Grenadier Guards Homecoming

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by HookieBuntz, Sep 26, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Last night, the GG's returned to Aldershot.

This made the news today and while watching SKY news they zoomed in on the Union Flag which was flying upside down.

I can only assume that this flag was flying inside the base.

What is so difficult in getting the Union Flag up the right way? and on an HM Forces base too.

Rant over

HookieBuntz

2. Because theres no real Sparkers or Buntings to take charge!

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Even I, as Officer of the Day on a frigate made sure it was correct. In fact I'd have to say it's hard to get it wrong the way the englefield (Sp?) clips are fitted.

Wonder why we don't make the blummin' thing ambidextrous, or even four-point symetrical , to avoid making ourselves look foolish?

4. I recently attended a "Commissioning" ceremony (of an Army Regiment), in which my Grandson was responsible for hoisting the new Regimental Flag after collecting it from the General. All very impressive and went off without a hitch, but I discovered in conversation later, that he (a Royal Signals subaltern), had never heard of an Englefield clip. They use wooden toggles as attached to duffle coats!
    However, I would have thought it almost impossible to hoist a flag or ensign upside down if the cordage is short at the top and has a long tail at the bottom.

2BM

5. Aw come on they are only pongoes, give em a chance!

The bit I find amazing is the fact that they rant and rave about their Regimental Colours (rightly so - except the gunners, they are different) yet they don't know bugger all about their National Colours, which of course the Union Flag is!

6. Maybe they were in distress, poor guys....

7. Fink it's an "Ingerfield" clip. I wouldn't stake my Northern 'monkees' Rock savings on the fact though!

8. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

So this thread is about flags and nothing to do with Grenadier Guards then? :roll:

9. Hello,
    I believe the correct name is an INGLEFIELD Clip.
    It was patented in 1890 by Lt A.E.F. Inglefield when he was serving as a Signals Officer in the Med. Fleet

10. How about a thank you, good effort or a we are proud of you

FFS

11. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

For the Pongoes, I think their problem at least in the infantry comes through all those downsizing amalgamations which must have eroded the territorial links. I do wonder where that leaves all their Old Comrades associations; in ships long ago where I was boned to liaise with the chummy regiment their local turf was still supportive.

As to the Andrew, I can think of several 'name' ships of all sizes from DLGs to CMS where there were good things going with the eponymous town or even village. One other link still alive comes from a wartime 'Warship Week' when Wolverhampton sponsored HMS Newfoundland, viz:

"A plaque was dedicated in St Peter’s Church, Wolverhampton, in the name of the ship on the Sunday [following Trafalgar Day 2007]. The Mayor of Wolverhampton plus local RNA Standards were in attendance ... TS Newfoundland Sea Cadets paraded for the Church service, and what a smart body of youngsters they were ... "

Sadly the ship's association is likely to fold in 2008 due to the increasing age of its members.

Just hope our current people go on getting a good turnout on the Hot Walls for their continuing homecomings, usually with good local press coverage.