Grenade Macine Gun for Afghanistan

dubaipusser

Lantern Swinger
I read a piece in the Gulf News (sorry no hyperlink) about a live firing exercise on Salisbury Plain in the last few days of a Heckler & Koch Grenade Machine Gun System ordered by the RM for use in Afghanistan.

The kit is mounted on the back of specially adapted landrovers and fires 40mm HE grenades up to ranges of 2000m in either single shot or automatic mode at a rate of up to 340 rounds per minute.

At a cost of £4.3million the RM has apparently ordered 40 of them (cost to 'specially adapt' the landrovers was not reported but will probably be about the same again)

My question though ... Has the UK military actually got 340 grenades?

I am quite sure they have, they will be in the back of some ammo dump left over from WW2 and now rather unsatble, even if unprimed.

As to 340 grenades for those flashy laucher things, it depends on whether there was a BOGOF deal on at the time.

Peter

Re: Grenade Machine Gun for Afghanistan

The Russians developed an automatic 30mm grenade launcher when they were in AFG in the 1980's.

They called it Plamya.

This is the export version, which they also produce in 40mm.

The Plamya (Flame) was first seen in use in Afghanistan in about 1977, though it had been in Russian and Warsaw pact service since about 1975. It is generally issued at the company level in infantry and combat engineer units, and is meant to provide a massive volume of high-explosive fires during assaults. AGS-17 variants have also been found mounted in vehicle turrets as well as on pintle mounts, and in chin turrets and as door guns on helicopters (helicopter-mounted Plamyas are normally known as AG-17A’s instead of the AGS-17). Other mounts include a mounting with a coaxial NSV machinegun on a high-angle mount for use in mountainous areas, and a remote control AGS-17 known as the 6S5 Mius that allows one gunner to control up to 4 AGS-17s at once, aimed by a laser rangefinder. The standard AGS-17 is normally fitted with a 2.7x sight. The AGS-17 has proliferated throughout former Russian client states, and has also been copied by China.
A Spanish firm called Santa Barbara then produced a version in Europe. I believe( standing by to be corrected) It is the S_B piece which has been adopted by the US Forces.

Heckler an Koch produce the HK GMG 40mm Granade Machine Gun. Range up to 2.2k. Linked 40mm ammo capacity 32 rds. Rate of fire 350rds/min. Ammo types - CS, HE, AP, nonleathal and flares.
Heckler & Koch (GB) have a sales team who are delighted to bring a selection of weapons for you to have a play on a big firing concentration.
If Royal is asking for an AGL it is probably this one.

Don Cabra

andym said:
I would have thought a few A10's and a couple of thousand gallons of Napalm would be a better alternative.
Dropping a few hundred gallons of liquid soap on the dirty smelly rag headed bastards may be even better. Would that come under a smart bomb category. I got soap in me eyes!!!!!!!!!!!! I am clean damn the cursed infidel!!!!

Backpacker1uk said:
andym said:
I would have thought a few A10's and a couple of thousand gallons of Napalm would be a better alternative.
Dropping a few hundred gallons of liquid soap on the dirty smelly rag headed bastards may be even better. Would that come under a smart bomb category. I got soap in me eyes!!!!!!!!!!!! I am clean damn the cursed infidel!!!!
I'm laughing with much amusement!