green lids for submariners?

Discussion in 'The Gash Barge' started by pjmliverpool, Mar 15, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is it possible to go for the all arms (commando) course and get a "green lid" when you are a submariner?

Can anyone tell me?
  2. Not that I'm aware of. Why would a sundodger be required to have a green lid??? Try being an ex sundodger to get one. There are some ex sundodger MAs around who then done the AAC to serve with the booties..
  3. Yes, but I don't know much about it or how you do it. It can be done, I've meet a few that have a green lid.
  4. I echo what dhoby says. The AAC is hard enough to get on as it is, I cannot see the Navy paying for a Submariner to go on it! And why on earth would you need to?
  5. I must admit that it is difficult to see the service need, boats deliver booties, they don't play with them.
  6. At least 1 ex (R) ex submariner MA has been Green lidded as have lots of other RN skimmer medics.

Is this question something to do with some sort of super kudos hunt? Wanting to be a member of two elite organisations at once seems to be stretching the imagination a wee bit methinks.

7. The two that I’ve met, one was an CPOMA who was attached to the RM before ending up in S/Ms and the other did err, some interesting duties at some point in his career.
  8. Possibly MAs, doctors and bish's.
  9. You don’t routinely get bish’s on boats.
  10. True but they do tend to be bashed a bit :shock: :shock: :wink:

11. I'm sure I don't know what you mean. :wink: :oops:
  12. Exactly, a serving submariner isn't going to get a course.
  13. You mean he ran the Special Treatment Centre at Nelson, minimum adqual would be AAC & large rubber gloves :wink:
  14. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Bless you my Son :shock:
  15. As we all know the bit that stops the oggin coming in when a boat dives is the LID, upper, lower, accomodation, engine room etc. As we tend to paint them black on the outside and white on the inside why do we want them to be green?????????

Confused of Tunwells Bridge

16. The submariners I met in the past were well hard, can't see them needing as all arms course, they used to get in enough bother without any training.
  17. POMA at faslane in early-mid 90s had dolphins and a dagger badge, never saw him in a ferret, he allways wore a cap, but I think he was still a serving sundodger
  18. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Submariners "Hard?" Is that why the General Service lads used to walk around the back of the Terror Club in Singers rather that walk across the veranda and risk drowning by Tiger Beer? :mrgreen: :grin: :grin:
  19. I might be out of date but I thought that P Company wasn't a pre-requisite for jump training if one had already done comparable training. P Company is Pre Parachute and the filter for actually letting people do the jump course.
  20. fails_as_is

fails_as_is Badgeman Book Reviewer

there is one submariner I know who has a green lid, but he was a booty before he decided to change branch. Like it says in the comments above, only likely to be MAs/Docs who have done the course and then gone to boats. Only other possible path is the combat pussers, but then I think the way it works for them is that they'd be a Lt Cdr for doing that job and then it's unlikely that they'd be on a submarine, since LOs on boats are Lts.