Green Lid

fishhead

War Hero
Until yesterday I'd always assumed the the much coveted Green Beret was a marine Commando's proudest possession. I wandered into one of my local charity shops and there amongst all the rest of the jumble was a genuine example properly moulded complete with badge. It saddened me a little that someone had seen fit to part company after all the work to earn it.To their credit the charity had identified it as a little more of worth than most of their stuff and were asking £9.99!

Spare_Rib

Lantern Swinger
I would assume most guys have more than one beret in their career. The one that’s presented at the end of the 30 miler will have sentimental value, but the ‘spares’ probably not so much. That’s the cheerier version of the story I’m going with! :)

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
A lot of Royals give their first beret to their partner, or if the recruit is ugly and still single, their Mum :)

Doesn't sound much but it is their most valued possession for most, so the gesture is genuinely significant.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
We did the same with our Dolphins. Did you know the Queen personally presented them to us..........?

And they weren't swapped for kit either............

D

Deleted 59428

Until yesterday I'd always assumed the the much coveted Green Beret was a marine Commando's proudest possession. I wandered into one of my local charity shops and there amongst all the rest of the jumble was a genuine example properly moulded complete with badge. It saddened me a little that someone had seen fit to part company after all the work to earn it.To their credit the charity had identified it as a little more of worth than most of their stuff and were asking £9.99!
Riflemen of the British Army (The Rifles) have long worn green berets

fishhead

War Hero
I was in the same charity shop today and the beret was gone. Next years Remembrance parade will have a new retired bootie in it's ranks.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
NateDogg Aircraft Handler able to train for green lid? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 46
matt93 Getting your green lid Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
wet_blobby I want a green lid. The Corps 25
old45marine Green Lid at 55 Wa Wa we Wa The Corps 12
MoD_RSS Devon residents urged to check who is taking their green waste MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Gas goes green as UK takes another step toward net zero MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Emma Howard Boyd, Green Summit speech MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government’s £40 million Green Recovery Challenge Fund opens for applications MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK businesses & Egypt government discuss green economy investment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Homeowners to see savings available under new Green Homes Grant scheme MoD News 0
Stirlin Peter Green....Man of the World. Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 0
MoD_RSS Scotch Whisky gears up to go green thanks to UK Government funding MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Whisky goes green thanks to UK government funding MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Businesses urged to sign up to offer green homes improvements MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Hundreds of additional school improvement projects get green light MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Quality assurance at heart of new £2 billion green homes grants MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Green light to restart Magnox Reprocessing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Green energy to help fish suffering effects of dry weather MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Green light for increase in speed through roadworks MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Environmental sustainability and resilience for a clean and green recovery MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Green light for ground-breaking bovine TB vaccine field trials MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM commits £350 million to fuel green recovery MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Water industry: green economic recovery MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK aerospace sector to benefit from £400 million funding to go green MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Green recovery at the heart of this year’s Bees’ Needs Week MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Performing Arts given green light to resume outdoors on July 11 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS On the road to a sustainable future: Net Zero Transport Board paves the way for a green recovery MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Building back a green and resilient recovery MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Scaling up climate action: country strategies and emerging investment opportunities for a green recovery MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government announces £40 million green jobs challenge fund MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Green light for COVID-19 trial recruitment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £73.5 million to boost green economic recovery in automotive sector MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Green number plates get the green light for a zero-emission future MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Malaysia can take the green road to post-coronavirus recovery: joint op-ed MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Green recovery of the economy and society after COVID-19: UK statement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Green projects given support to attract private sector investment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government gives green light to resumption of compeitive sport behind closed doors MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Celebrating 10 years of Green Engineering in Cumbria MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government launches new £40 million Clean Growth Fund to supercharge green start-ups MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Multi-million pound flood scheme in Rochdale and Littleborough given the green light MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Flood scheme for Stoke town centre gets green light MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Inquiry opened into Barry Green Memorial Fund following governance and financial management concerns MoD News 0
MoD_RSS CMA gives Just Eat and Takeaway.com deal the green light MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Coronavirus – Guidance on access to green spaces MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New era of green fuel set to clean up Britain’s roads MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 68 new parks to inject green space into urban areas MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Second phase of Northstowe and one of the UK’s largest modular neighbourhoods gets the green light MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Milestone for Cornwall as major A30 upgrade gets the green light MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Britain’s first all-electric bus town to pave the way for green communities of the future MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Response to the Department for Transport consultation on green number plates for ultra low emission vehicles MoD News 0