Green Lid at 55 Wa Wa we Wa

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by old45marine, Sep 25, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well I have to say I am shocked BUT also over the moon for Chris Terrill.
    The jurno who filmed and took part in Commando on the front line.

A Surperb effort I chuck him one up, and raise my old green lid to him. Also before you all start I know he would not have got the beastings that the Lads got..and all the Hunters Moon stuff etc..

But well done all the same, and he did not drip much

PS There a few new things on the tarzan course I dont remember,but I have probs remembering my name sometimes :)
  2. Seconded, BZ to him.

It must have been gutting to have been one of the two youngsters who failed the endurance course to know that a 55 year old had passed.

It looks llike an excellent series.
  3. I'm pretty sure he completed it with about 7 or 8 minutes to spare aswell.

Am I right in saying he was lugging a camera about all the tests aswell - making the smarty tubes all the more fun :thumright:
  4. I remember reading a post here a few days ago saying that someone was worried that he would do a hatchet job, and I said that you can't go through all that with the lads and not feel a strong affinity. It was very moving to see the emotion of what a green lid meant to him. Its nice to be proved right. He seems the perfect journolist to record Royal in Afghanistan.

Well done Chris.
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Entirely agree, a magnificent achievement & the greatest respect for Chris Terrill.
  6. Outstanding effort!!!

On a sideline, it also justifies the age limit for Recruits being raised.
  7. Ninja_Stoker

I certainly think it will open up a can of wriggly things.

The RM (& army infantry units followed suit) only upped the max age from 26 to 32 very recently.

I think, & I stress it's only an opinion, if we were to up the entry age, the majority of "non-starters" would be filtered out at the pre-joining fitness stage anyway. Whether we investigate further remains to be seen.

The problem, so I'm told is the rate of recovery from injury slows as you get older. "Hunter Troop" has already been elevated to "Hunter Company". The danger is we end up paying the wages of a "Hunter Battalion" with a much higher attrition rate than we have already.

In a nutshell, it's down to cost.
  8. What a guy! His guts, application and dogged determination were truly inspiring. I noted his lack of a weapon with disappointment until it was pointed out that he was carrying a camera tripod of equivalent weight.

I hope this programme is shown on mainstream TV, perhaps as a follow-up to the series.
  9. It was an outstanding effort, but I don't think it justifies the conclusion you come to. It'll certainly increase the number of people arguing for it...
  10. Mate of mine a couple of years ago went through the Officers Reserve Commando course at the ripe old age of 42. He was pretty fit and had already done the All Arms course when he was inthe regulars (RN). He failed medically (broke his back!!!!) with about 6 weeks to go. Gutting for him.

I only caught the last couple of minutes - interesting to see him at the end wishing he'd joined the RM when he was younger and made something of himself - I sensed he reckoned he'd made the wrong career choice.
  11. Ninja_Stoker

The reason the guy was allowed to do the course at this age was because he already had a green beret & was therefore already a qualified 'Other Rank' Navy Commando.

'New joining' regular RM Officers must join Lympstone before they reach their 26th Birthday. 'New joining' RMR Officers must join before they reach their 30th birthday
  12. BZ to Chris, a wonderful achievement.

I dont think reducing the age limit would be a good idea. I shall be 50 next week (2/10), I do martial arts training twice a week and I am fitter now than I was at age 32 (and yes I could pass it). As we all know with any qualification that is only the start of where you need to be, it is the continous training thereafter that makes it mean something.
  13. I have not viewed the pgm yet I took a look at the presenter on Blue Peter on youtube having a go.

Now in 69 that there tower had no added structure to the ladder it was just a ladder if my brain cell serves me correctly. The safety harness for the slide is that just for the Blue Peter presenter or is that the norm now????

It must have been gutting to have been one of the two youngsters who failed the endurance course to know that a 55 year old had passed.

Afraid that is the norm these days leading walks the youngsters think it is a doddle when they see an old fart leading a walk until half way through when the legs they do get heavy.

I know many a pensioner Lady who can outwalk there kids and grankids.

To many armchair athletes these days.