Great tits cope well with warming

Discussion in 'Travel & The Great Outdoors' started by rosinacarley, May 8, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am afraid the BBC linky is not working, however I thought you might find this interesting!

At least one of Britain's birds appears to be coping well as climate change alters the availability of a key food.

Researchers found that great tits are laying eggs earlier in the spring than they used to, keeping step with the earlier emergence of caterpillars.

Writing in the journal Science, they point out that the same birds in the Netherlands have not managed to adjust. Understanding why some species in some places are affected more than others by climatic shifts is vital, they say.

The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB) commented that other species are likely to fare much worse than great tits as temperatures rise.

The research uses a long record of great tits in a breeding site at Wytham Woods near Oxford, where observations began in 1947.

How fascinating is that!

2. Tsk, I knew I'd be disappointed, but hope springs eternal.
    Damn ornithologists.
    NZB

3. What! pardon? Horny theologists? Floggings too good for them!

Amazing how Nature adapts to changes in, err, um; Nature. Being a bit serious, though, who knows what genetic treasures we lose in the ones that don't/can't adapt.

4. One of the best headlines on the BBC News site I've ever seen.

Personally, I volunteer to carry out more field research....

5. I volunteered to count turtle eggs in the Caribbean until they demanded a grand!!

6. everything adapts - Seven of 9 said so :)

7. Being a bloke, I could never watch her and listen to her at the same time. I remember very little of what she said.

8. Ahhh, Mr Oddie would be proud.

9. For the first time, I AM DISAPPOINTED when I clicked on this thread.

I thought this was going to be another "Tit Monday" theme.

You really should warn people..........

10. The warning was in the knowledge that it originated from a woman so it was never going to be what you expected it to be.

SF

11. SF, I am deeply offended. Great tits are a small feathery thing are they not, it is hardly my fault that you and the rest of the population whose brain is in their tadger thinks that great tits are something that you find on page 3.

12. Having great tits does keep your back warm in bed though.

13. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

In that case, my learned friend, the titillating title of this thread should have read "Great Tits"... :wink:

14. .....now appearing with James Woods in 'SHARK' but without the er...tight fitting costumes =(

15. Sorry, just wishful thinking on my part (any part).

16. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

17. Dear me Rosie, if you wanted to discuss the finer points of ornithology you should have entitled your thread:

Parus major (not to be confused with John major ;) )

Mentioning Tits, Great or Small, heavy or light, warm or cold, hard or soft, erect (nipples that is) or limpid on RR is bound to get the straighty types all excited.