Great Runs Ashore

Guns

War Hero
So far this deployment Malta, Marmirias in Turkey, Crete, Jizan in Saudi (well I say visit the ship stayed alongside for 6 hours and the jetty was nice) then Visnahpakham (India) and now Singapore. Next Malaysia for 2 weeks. Then... well can't give away all the next locations never sure who is reading this.

Best run in the Navy - London HMS Brazen 92 Midshipman "Guns" and the US Navy Attaches very flexible daughter, an empty family home, lots of nice wine and her willing best friend. For more details you will have to wait for the autobiography.

Also 18 Aug 95 - South Georgia and having a snowball fight on my birthday. Then herding penguins around a makeshift "One man and his YO" circuit. Little things.

Oh yes while we are at it my discovery of Long Island Ice Tea in Halifax NS Canada.

or..... I'll be honest there have been too many. And not all have been the place but the company I was with. Liverpool - a cesspit I would normally leave the second I could to go home to Manchester yet a fantastic run ashore with the Warfare CPO's. Bari in Italy a dump but great company.

Jacque-le-douste

Lantern Swinger
Surprised nobody's mentioned Subic Bay & Manilla!!!
What about some of the West Indies. Port of Spain Trinidad in the 60's, good run.
Bermuda, cheap run at the 'Trap'
I see somebody has rated Gib, yea right!

Jacque-le-douste said:
What about some of the West Indies. Port of Spain Trinidad in the 60's, good run.

Aah! Manila, The land of wierd shaped cigars, Jeepneys that you entered at the rtisk of your life - Good runs ashore!
Remember being given info on going ashore, that if you encountered any problems, not to bother with the guys dressed in Blue uniforms because they were security and not police ... as if jack would be worried too much about that after a few bevies.

Gib? Not too bad if it was lad's night out (the Universal for one), or winding up the crabs - but women ? very few as they seem to be absorbed by the rock after about 5pm :shock: :(

Best:

Rio
Padstow
Falmouth
Marmaris
St Malo
Gib
Cadiz/Rota
Rothera BAS station (ski Antarctica? well, if you insist....)

Worst:

Punta Arenas
Calais
Shoreham
Catania
Souda Bay (NATO, not Greek which is actually quite nice)
Civitavecchia
Cagliari
La Goulette
Port Said
Toulon

stirling2

Banned
Jacque-le-douste said:

....surprised you missed my post Jacque.

jesse

War Hero
Jacque-le-douste said:
With you all the way on Subic Bay;Manilla. The white rum was not sold until at least 10 min.old. Drink water the next am and you were away again.At least 80% of the ships company unfit for duty. Captain[Fess} Parker [A twat of the highest order] was frothing at the mouth with rage. Might have done his liver a bit of good.In the U.K. a close call but it would have to be Cardiff.

wannabefpilot87

Lantern Swinger
kinross_special said:
Best:

Rio
Padstow
FalmouthMarmaris
St Malo
Gib
Cadiz/Rota
Rothera BAS station (ski Antarctica? well, if you insist....)

Worst:

Punta Arenas
Calais
Shoreham
Catania
Souda Bay (NATO, not Greek which is actually quite nice)
Civitavecchia
Cagliari
La Goulette
Port Said
Toulon

Falmouth ain't bad I have to say, we need you Navy lads to spice up the nightlife- tis pretty shite else :p . Good atmosphere in the summer. Weren't a regular in the Boathouse were you?
Padstow??????? Really. Are you sure you didn't mispell and mean somewhere else?

Rumrat

War Hero
Maxi_77 said:
The onbly bad run ashore ever was Aden.

Bad, thats an understatment, it was fcukin horriffic. In fact it was so bad they gave us a medal for going. 8O

Olongapo
Mombassa
Bangkok
Singers
Adelaide :D

Seaweed

RIP
Book Reviewer
Olongapo:

1. Jack adrift (in quantity) because interned (for jack's safety) by the US OOP while his snowballs sorted out the nightly race riot. Case dismissed. Riot because some black US sailors had tried to share a bus that already had whites on it. All men being created equal etc.

2. Two US officers who strayed slightly from the beaten path, found next a.m. dead with their balls cut off.

3. Chum of mine asked a cop if his gun was really loaded, cop pulled it out and shot out a street light.

wavijunk

Midshipman
Best.... in no particular order as they say...

Falmouth
Newhaven (small ships run)
Lisbon (Texas bar anyone)
Mombasa
Helluvisluits (excuse spelling)

Worst

Djibouti (a right cesspit full of drunk FFL)
Port Blair- Andaman Islands (closed)
Brest