Great runs ahore

Me again, swinging the lamps and spinning a dit or 10!(By the way, Drafty gave me the SHIPS!)
Back to the good ship Plymouth and the 1975-1976 round the world banyan
One of our ports of call for the 8th frigate squadron was Bombay(Or Mumbai as it's now known) Flagship was the 'Glamorous Organ(Glamorgan) with Admiral Fieldhouse as head honcho.
Just prior to our arrival, I happened to be in the ships office and on the POWtrs desk, noticed a letter.Now, amongst my albeit limited skills, is the ability to read things upside down. The letter was an invite from the Royal Bombay Yacht Club to the officers and men of the squadron to use their palatial facilities. Funnily enough, despite a wealth of information regarding the forthcoming visit, this didn't rate a mention.
As I was rather keen on sailing, I decided to investigate this further and slipped and proceeded ashore to said venue when leave was piped. My run ashore oppos and I were made most welcome, had a really good run and invited several of the members back on board for next day.They duly arrived at 1200, were entertained in our mess and one of our guests was the general manager for Shell/Mex and BP for the Indian sub-continent.
He invited us all to the Breach Candy swimming club next day(Top spot) followed by a soiree at his place.On enquiring how to get there, he said he'd send his bearers to fetch us. So, mustering on the flight deck at the appointed time, a fleet of Morris Oxford cars drew up, the head bearer came up and invited us to embark, which we duly did.
Well, what an eye-opener, he lived in what looked like a palace,, wall to wall servants, scran and he'd also had the foresight to invite a whole bunch of Air India hostesses(Am I allowed to use that term?) A great run was had by all and that pretty much set the tone for the rest of the visit.
On the last night in, we were invited to the yacht club and after a couple of speeches, we handed over a ships plaque to hang up on their bulkhead. All was going well, when, all of a sudden, the Admiral and quite a few officers from the squadron filed into the bar.They'd been having a dinner in one of the rooms.My Jimmy was there and was glowering daggers at me(Not that I gave a fark)
They made a couple of speeches and handed over their ships plaques. Now, our was was a genuine, beduin NAFFI one, all tiddly.Thiers were the product of their respective chippies shops and not that flash to be honest.
Well, the night ended well and we sailed next morning.After we fell out from specials, the Jimmy sent for me and asked what I thought I was playing at, visiting the club which he said was an invite for officers only. I politely pointed out that the invite was for Officers and Men, a point which he may have forgotten to mention. At that, he turned a funny colour and I was allowed to proceed.

As a bit of an aside, Bombay was such a contrast-on one side we had displays of wealth and privilege and on the other, once night fell, there were hordes of people living under cardboard on the streets.Another aspect was 'The Cages' where young females from poor families were sold into prostitution to pay off their parents debts to moneylenders.The cages were just like to old jail cells you see in wild west movies, bars over the front, red lighting, the works.To the best of my knowledge, none of my ships company went there, it was too squalid a set up even for Jack!

The cages in Istanbul were a similar set up, that was in 1975. I think Camp Allegro (or camp A leg Over) in Curacao was run on the same lines.

ratsroden

Lantern Swinger
Me again, swinging the lamps and spinning a dit or 10!(By the way, Drafty gave me the SHIPS!)
Back to the good ship Plymouth and the 1975-1976 round the world banyan
One of our ports of call for the 8th frigate squadron was Bombay(Or Mumbai as it's now known) Flagship was the 'Glamorous Organ(Glamorgan) with Admiral Fieldhouse as head honcho.
Just prior to our arrival, I happened to be in the ships office and on the POWtrs desk, noticed a letter.Now, amongst my albeit limited skills, is the ability to read things upside down. The letter was an invite from the Royal Bombay Yacht Club to the officers and men of the squadron to use their palatial facilities. Funnily enough, despite a wealth of information regarding the forthcoming visit, this didn't rate a mention.
As I was rather keen on sailing, I decided to investigate this further and slipped and proceeded ashore to said venue when leave was piped. My run ashore oppos and I were made most welcome, had a really good run and invited several of the members back on board for next day.They duly arrived at 1200, were entertained in our mess and one of our guests was the general manager for Shell/Mex and BP for the Indian sub-continent.
He invited us all to the Breach Candy swimming club next day(Top spot) followed by a soiree at his place.On enquiring how to get there, he said he'd send his bearers to fetch us. So, mustering on the flight deck at the appointed time, a fleet of Morris Oxford cars drew up, the head bearer came up and invited us to embark, which we duly did.
Well, what an eye-opener, he lived in what looked like a palace,, wall to wall servants, scran and he'd also had the foresight to invite a whole bunch of Air India hostesses(Am I allowed to use that term?) A great run was had by all and that pretty much set the tone for the rest of the visit.
On the last night in, we were invited to the yacht club and after a couple of speeches, we handed over a ships plaque to hang up on their bulkhead. All was going well, when, all of a sudden, the Admiral and quite a few officers from the squadron filed into the bar.They'd been having a dinner in one of the rooms.My Jimmy was there and was glowering daggers at me(Not that I gave a fark)
They made a couple of speeches and handed over their ships plaques. Now, our was was a genuine, beduin NAFFI one, all tiddly.Thiers were the product of their respective chippies shops and not that flash to be honest.
Well, the night ended well and we sailed next morning.After we fell out from specials, the Jimmy sent for me and asked what I thought I was playing at, visiting the club which he said was an invite for officers only. I politely pointed out that the invite was for Officers and Men, a point which he may have forgotten to mention. At that, he turned a funny colour and I was allowed to proceed.

As a bit of an aside, Bombay was such a contrast-on one side we had displays of wealth and privilege and on the other, once night fell, there were hordes of people living under cardboard on the streets.Another aspect was 'The Cages' where young females from poor families were sold into prostitution to pay off their parents debts to moneylenders.The cages were just like to old jail cells you see in wild west movies, bars over the front, red lighting, the works.To the best of my knowledge, none of my ships company went there, it was too squalid a set up even for Jack!
This is the RBYC now. Had a word with the present day policeman shown. He tells me that the Club never needed a guard until a visit by HMS Plymouth. The silverware is still missing.

bombay.jpg

Oi Rats, don't look at me. I didn't do it nor did my honest, upstanding lower deck!Probably the bun-shop, you know how much they liked silverware on the table for mess dinners etc.

ratsroden

Lantern Swinger
Oi Rats, don't look at me. I didn't do it nor did my honest, upstanding lower deck!Probably the bun-shop, you know how much they liked silverware on the table for mess dinners etc.
Would I look at a Master at Arms? Avert ones gaze was the information given to me. Not suggesting it could have been any of your fine crew--except, perhaps, possibly a couple of characters back aft. Just heard you'd been buying a lot of Goddards Silver Polish---I know you've been tddlying up your sword.

Rats,
The only sword I've been chamfering up is the old Pork Sword, Mutton Dagger, Spam Ram and/or Bedroom Boat-rope and you don't need silver polish for that.All of my lads were only interested in cementing Anglo-American, Canadian, Australian, New Zealand and anywhere else we visited relations,however, I won't say what we used for cement!

ratsroden

Lantern Swinger
Rats,
The only sword I've been chamfering up is the old Pork Sword, Mutton Dagger, Spam Ram and/or Bedroom Boat-rope and you don't need silver polish for that.All of my lads were only interested in cementing Anglo-American, Canadian, Australian, New Zealand and anywhere else we visited relations,however, I won't say what we used for cement!
When we had a Navy.
Given some of the rather strange contributors to Rum Ration these days --Your od Jaunty's Mutton Dagger would spend its time flaccid.

ratsroden

Lantern Swinger
As a an old hand from HM's former Navy you will notice some sad differences. Degrees float about in the Fleet as ET1's seldom did. What they bring to an Armed Force out to kill its enemy--- I know not. But they proliferate nevertheless. It's rather as we once thought--Dint know what a BAHons was once--Now I are one.
Nobody wants to employ me--Better join the Navy or Army.
Not sure if the RAF will have me tho.

As a an old hand from HM's former Navy you will notice some sad differences. Degrees float about in the Fleet as ET1's seldom did. What they bring to an Armed Force out to kill its enemy--- I know not. But they proliferate nevertheless. It's rather as we once thought--Dint know what a BAHons was once--Now I are one.
Nobody wants to employ me--Better join the Navy or Army.
Not sure if the RAF will have me tho.
OldFarts.jpg ;):rolleyes: