Great runs ahore

CU Jimmy

Midshipman
Me again, swinging the lamps and spinning a dit or 10!(By the way, Drafty gave me the SHIPS!)
Back to the good ship Plymouth and the 1975-1976 round the world banyan
One of our ports of call for the 8th frigate squadron was Bombay(Or Mumbai as it's now known) Flagship was the 'Glamorous Organ(Glamorgan) with Admiral Fieldhouse as head honcho.
Just prior to our arrival, I happened to be in the ships office and on the POWtrs desk, noticed a letter.Now, amongst my albeit limited skills, is the ability to read things upside down. The letter was an invite from the Royal Bombay Yacht Club to the officers and men of the squadron to use their palatial facilities. Funnily enough, despite a wealth of information regarding the forthcoming visit, this didn't rate a mention.
As I was rather keen on sailing, I decided to investigate this further and slipped and proceeded ashore to said venue when leave was piped. My run ashore oppos and I were made most welcome, had a really good run and invited several of the members back on board for next day.They duly arrived at 1200, were entertained in our mess and one of our guests was the general manager for Shell/Mex and BP for the Indian sub-continent.
He invited us all to the Breach Candy swimming club next day(Top spot) followed by a soiree at his place.On enquiring how to get there, he said he'd send his bearers to fetch us. So, mustering on the flight deck at the appointed time, a fleet of Morris Oxford cars drew up, the head bearer came up and invited us to embark, which we duly did.
Well, what an eye-opener, he lived in what looked like a palace,, wall to wall servants, scran and he'd also had the foresight to invite a whole bunch of Air India hostesses(Am I allowed to use that term?) A great run was had by all and that pretty much set the tone for the rest of the visit.
On the last night in, we were invited to the yacht club and after a couple of speeches, we handed over a ships plaque to hang up on their bulkhead. All was going well, when, all of a sudden, the Admiral and quite a few officers from the squadron filed into the bar.They'd been having a dinner in one of the rooms.My Jimmy was there and was glowering daggers at me(Not that I gave a fark)
They made a couple of speeches and handed over their ships plaques. Now, our was was a genuine, beduin NAFFI one, all tiddly.Thiers were the product of their respective chippies shops and not that flash to be honest.
Well, the night ended well and we sailed next morning.After we fell out from specials, the Jimmy sent for me and asked what I thought I was playing at, visiting the club which he said was an invite for officers only. I politely pointed out that the invite was for Officers and Men, a point which he may have forgotten to mention. At that, he turned a funny colour and I was allowed to proceed.

As a bit of an aside, Bombay was such a contrast-on one side we had displays of wealth and privilege and on the other, once night fell, there were hordes of people living under cardboard on the streets.Another aspect was 'The Cages' where young females from poor families were sold into prostitution to pay off their parents debts to moneylenders.The cages were just like to old jail cells you see in wild west movies, bars over the front, red lighting, the works.To the best of my knowledge, none of my ships company went there, it was too squalid a set up even for Jack!

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
The cages in Istanbul were a similar set up, that was in 1975. I think Camp Allegro (or camp A leg Over) in Curacao was run on the same lines.

D

Deleted 59428

Me again, swinging the lamps and spinning a dit or 10!(By the way, Drafty gave me the SHIPS!)
Back to the good ship Plymouth and the 1975-1976 round the world banyan
One of our ports of call for the 8th frigate squadron was Bombay(Or Mumbai as it's now known) Flagship was the 'Glamorous Organ(Glamorgan) with Admiral Fieldhouse as head honcho.
Just prior to our arrival, I happened to be in the ships office and on the POWtrs desk, noticed a letter.Now, amongst my albeit limited skills, is the ability to read things upside down. The letter was an invite from the Royal Bombay Yacht Club to the officers and men of the squadron to use their palatial facilities. Funnily enough, despite a wealth of information regarding the forthcoming visit, this didn't rate a mention.
As I was rather keen on sailing, I decided to investigate this further and slipped and proceeded ashore to said venue when leave was piped. My run ashore oppos and I were made most welcome, had a really good run and invited several of the members back on board for next day.They duly arrived at 1200, were entertained in our mess and one of our guests was the general manager for Shell/Mex and BP for the Indian sub-continent.
He invited us all to the Breach Candy swimming club next day(Top spot) followed by a soiree at his place.On enquiring how to get there, he said he'd send his bearers to fetch us. So, mustering on the flight deck at the appointed time, a fleet of Morris Oxford cars drew up, the head bearer came up and invited us to embark, which we duly did.
Well, what an eye-opener, he lived in what looked like a palace,, wall to wall servants, scran and he'd also had the foresight to invite a whole bunch of Air India hostesses(Am I allowed to use that term?) A great run was had by all and that pretty much set the tone for the rest of the visit.
On the last night in, we were invited to the yacht club and after a couple of speeches, we handed over a ships plaque to hang up on their bulkhead. All was going well, when, all of a sudden, the Admiral and quite a few officers from the squadron filed into the bar.They'd been having a dinner in one of the rooms.My Jimmy was there and was glowering daggers at me(Not that I gave a fark)
They made a couple of speeches and handed over their ships plaques. Now, our was was a genuine, beduin NAFFI one, all tiddly.Thiers were the product of their respective chippies shops and not that flash to be honest.
Well, the night ended well and we sailed next morning.After we fell out from specials, the Jimmy sent for me and asked what I thought I was playing at, visiting the club which he said was an invite for officers only. I politely pointed out that the invite was for Officers and Men, a point which he may have forgotten to mention. At that, he turned a funny colour and I was allowed to proceed.

As a bit of an aside, Bombay was such a contrast-on one side we had displays of wealth and privilege and on the other, once night fell, there were hordes of people living under cardboard on the streets.Another aspect was 'The Cages' where young females from poor families were sold into prostitution to pay off their parents debts to moneylenders.The cages were just like to old jail cells you see in wild west movies, bars over the front, red lighting, the works.To the best of my knowledge, none of my ships company went there, it was too squalid a set up even for Jack!
This is the RBYC now. Had a word with the present day policeman shown. He tells me that the Club never needed a guard until a visit by HMS Plymouth. The silverware is still missing.

bombay.jpg

CU Jimmy

Midshipman
Oi Rats, don't look at me. I didn't do it nor did my honest, upstanding lower deck!Probably the bun-shop, you know how much they liked silverware on the table for mess dinners etc.

D

Deleted 59428

Oi Rats, don't look at me. I didn't do it nor did my honest, upstanding lower deck!Probably the bun-shop, you know how much they liked silverware on the table for mess dinners etc.
Would I look at a Master at Arms? Avert ones gaze was the information given to me. Not suggesting it could have been any of your fine crew--except, perhaps, possibly a couple of characters back aft. Just heard you'd been buying a lot of Goddards Silver Polish---I know you've been tddlying up your sword.

CU Jimmy

Midshipman
Rats,
The only sword I've been chamfering up is the old Pork Sword, Mutton Dagger, Spam Ram and/or Bedroom Boat-rope and you don't need silver polish for that.All of my lads were only interested in cementing Anglo-American, Canadian, Australian, New Zealand and anywhere else we visited relations,however, I won't say what we used for cement!

D

Deleted 59428

Rats,
The only sword I've been chamfering up is the old Pork Sword, Mutton Dagger, Spam Ram and/or Bedroom Boat-rope and you don't need silver polish for that.All of my lads were only interested in cementing Anglo-American, Canadian, Australian, New Zealand and anywhere else we visited relations,however, I won't say what we used for cement!
When we had a Navy.
Given some of the rather strange contributors to Rum Ration these days --Your od Jaunty's Mutton Dagger would spend its time flaccid.

D

Deleted 59428

As a an old hand from HM's former Navy you will notice some sad differences. Degrees float about in the Fleet as ET1's seldom did. What they bring to an Armed Force out to kill its enemy--- I know not. But they proliferate nevertheless. It's rather as we once thought--Dint know what a BAHons was once--Now I are one.
Nobody wants to employ me--Better join the Navy or Army.
Not sure if the RAF will have me tho.

As a an old hand from HM's former Navy you will notice some sad differences. Degrees float about in the Fleet as ET1's seldom did. What they bring to an Armed Force out to kill its enemy--- I know not. But they proliferate nevertheless. It's rather as we once thought--Dint know what a BAHons was once--Now I are one.
Nobody wants to employ me--Better join the Navy or Army.
Not sure if the RAF will have me tho.
OldFarts.jpg;):rolleyes:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Great Runs Ashore The Corps 54
MoD_RSS Eels have arrived at the Great Ouse MoD News 0
soleil Portsmouth News: "34 Great Old Photos Of The Famous Royal Navy Aircraft Carrier HMS Hermes" The Fleet 1
MoD_RSS Government to safeguard vital Great Britain-Northern Ireland air links MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Positive progress in the Great Lakes Region must continue despite Covid-19 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Rail stations across Great Britain receive £20 million funding boost for accessibility improvements MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British High Commission brings The Great Debate to Faisalabad MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British High Commission brings The Great Debate to Karachi MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British High Commission brings the Great Debate to Islamabad MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Treorchy crowned "UK's best" in the Great British High Street Awards MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British High Commission brings the Great Debate to Balochistan MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Great Yarmouth £40m tidal defence project gets underway MoD News 0
MoD_RSS River Great Ouse gets Christmas present with fish restocking MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Funding boost for the great British pub MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British High Commission launches The Great Debate in Lahore MoD News 0
L I'm trying to find information on my Great Grandfather. Nearest & Dearest 2
MoD_RSS HOW A CENTURY OLD SPOON LED TO THE MILITARY BURIAL OF AN ESSEX SOLDIER WHO DIED IN THE GREAT WAR MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Traffic Commissioners for Great Britain publish 2018-19 annual report MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Addressing the root causes of conflict in the Great Lakes Region MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK trade envoy to Lebanon: Great potential for business MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Highways England statement following publication of DfT’s Reported road casualties in Great Britain: 2018 report MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Great Britain and China Are Global Partners MoD News 0
janner The Great Bus Pass Adventure. Charity 0
MoD_RSS Major demolition milestone at HS2’s Old Oak Common site as Great Western sheds cleared MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Great British High Street Awards 2019 judges revealed MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Recovered appeals: land at Chiswick Roundabout, Junction of Gunnersbury Avenue Great West Road, London W4 (ref: 3180962 & 3173208 - 19 July 2019) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: A great place to work MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Great Yarmouth Third River Crossing application MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Launch of Great British High Street Awards 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: £40m Great Yarmouth flood defence upgrade set to start MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Two unknown soldiers given military burial a century after their deaths in the Great War MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Graves of Two Kent Soldiers Identified a Century After Their Deaths in the Great War MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: The grave of Private Frederick Foskett, Lancashire Fusilier, killed during the Great War rededicated a century later MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Two unknown soldiers given military burial a century after their deaths in the Great War MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Sherwood Forester and an unknown soldier buried 100 years after their deaths in the great war MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: The Great Farm Challenge - Educating the next generation of farmers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: New strategic licensing for developers in Cheshire to better protect great crested newts MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Stability in the Great Lakes Region MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: James Brokenshire announces over £36 million for the Great British Coast MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: GRAVES OF TWO IRISH SOLDIERS KILLED DURING THE GREAT WAR ARE REDEDICATED A CENTURY LATER MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: FOUR UNKNOWN IRISH SOLDIERS BURIED ONE HUNDRED YEARS AFTER THEIR DEATHS IN THE GREAT WAR MoD News 0
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp The last surviving REAL Great Escape Survivor finally passes away History 0
MoD_RSS News story: Hammond tells Davos: “Britain is a great place to do business” MoD News 0
Stirlin Swimming with Great White Shark. Diamond Lil's 7
MoD_RSS Press release: New podcast series to explore why exporting is GREAT for business MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: International Trade Minister joins Stoke ceramics firm to keep Great British industry firing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: DFID Ghana Country Director's speech at Education is GREAT event MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Crickhowell High Street crowned "UK's best" in Great British High Street Awards MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Green Great Britain: Climate Policy and Energy Transition MoD News 0
NotNickCarter A Legacy of the Great War Current Affairs 6